放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

ち is short for like… の うち. Sometimes also abbreviated んち.
自分ちみたいに is “like your own house”
She commenting on how Chiba is treating the nursing thingy like she owns it.

You mean page 45?

くんない is くれない
“You won’t tell me anyway”

Edit: GET OUT OF HERE @Naphthalene

5 Likes

I tried to just go for the second question directly when I saw you replying, and you still got both in almost the same amount of time… I’m just too slow, I guess.

4 Likes

:yellow_heart:

1 Like

Woah I definitely need to sleep.
Brb editing that page number.
Everything makes so much sense now :sleeping:

2 Likes

Also
Because she’s a stupid kiddddd
Maho probably acts more her age than anyone else ever does in the story :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well, and the brat that stole the notebook.

Screw that kid tho

2 Likes

Not about 放浪息子, but on the topic of transgender and Japan,

I recently read this article:

米国人夫が性別移行した夫婦、立ちはだかる日本の法律の壁 写真7枚 国際ニュース:AFPBB News

Basically, while it’s possible to officially change gender in Japan, one condition is to not be married (because same sex marriage isn’t recognized) and to not have underage children (because reasons?).
However, Elin, American married to a Japanese woman, does not have to conform to that, since she only have to care about the American law. So she officially became a woman, despite being married and having underage kids. Then she had to report the change to the Japanese administration, and things got “fun” (well, the marriage is just going to become void, I guess, despite them fighting to keep it valid).
I hope such event will help getting an actual recognition of same sex marriage in Japan…

5 Likes

Honestly it’s CRAZY to me that Japan doesn’t already have it. Like, it’s genuinely difficult for me to process sometimes. The US was so far behind on that, and yet that fight is now years in the past and Japan is still lagging. It boggles.

3 Likes

Most high-level politicians in Japan are old, hetero cis-gender male.
We probably have to wait for them to die of old age first.

2 Likes

But that’s what I’m waiting for here toooo

1 Like

I just read chapter 30 where it’s all about the different crushes all the characters have. And now chapter 31 is called 告白!

I wonder who will confess. I’m hoping Anna! Maybe I’ll find out later if I keep reading tonight.

3 Likes

Ugh, I have to go to sleep after the chapter finishes like this?!

仲直りはできなかった。できないまま、中学生になってしまうのでした。

Only one chapter left in volume 4, and then I’ll have read everything from before the anime.

2 Likes

Can you believe how much you missed!?

3 Likes

Done volume 4! I read the last chapter twice, but I still have a couple questions.

Page 183 question

あたし一瞬ホッとした

Am I supposed to understand why Maho would be relieved (even for a moment) that Shuu got rejected? Unless it’s just a “you complicated my relationship with Seya and am holding a subconscious grudge” kind of thing. :man_shrugging:

Page 185 question

あたしこそどっちとも仲良くしてごめんね

Is Sasa apologizing for being friends with Shuu and Takatsuki? I think that’s the meaning, but I wanted to double check.

Random comment about page 179

おれホントに二鳥すきだよ

You know, Seya never really did say which Nitori he likes. :slight_smile:

General volume 4 thoughts

It kinda sucks how the volume ended, for the characters. Thankfully I can just keep reading though, so I’m sure everyone will reconcile soon!

Anyway, with that I’m over 25% done the series!

5 Likes

I don’t have the books anymore, so I can’t help with the first one.

I remember the second one, and your interpretation is correct. Having been in a similar situation myself, it does suck, by the way.

About p179 I thought the same thing actually :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, this story is a bit of a downer at times (to say the least).

2 Likes

Page 183, I’m not sure. She does feel guilty about thinking it, saying she has an awful personality. I’d kinda say yet, and maybe not wanting to fall behind her younger sibling.

1 Like

I’ve been reading the character profiles at the beginning of each volume, though they tend to be a bit difficult for me relative to the actual chapters. But volume 5’s was amazing (and easy). Character introductions by 佐々ちゃん is a thing I never knew I needed.

佐々さん、それはあとで :laughing:

And normally I don’t ask about the stuff in the intro that I don’t understand, but seeing something that looks like グ4こぼ in Maho’s intro is bothering me… I must be misreading it, right??

1 Like

Is it this maybe?

And the “4” is チ?

2 Likes

Yes on both accounts.

1 Like