放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

@Sylph From A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns.
Also, I just realized that example 4 is almost exactly the sentence from the book.

7 Likes

I’ve read chapters 14 and 15 without any major issues (which is pretty encouraging) so I’m just here to say I’m really enjoying reading this and secretly hoping nothing bad happens next.

This chapter made me want to like ユキ but I still don’t get what her deal is with 高槻 so we’ll see.

3 Likes

For some reason Sasa’s shirt cracks me up. It totally matches her personality.

4 Likes
Just finished chapters 1 and 2

5 Likes

Just finished volume 3, though I’ll reread the last chapter over the weekend.

Bonus picture

I have a general language question with an example from the book. Besides being a dialectal thing, is うち as a first person pronoun also used to sound more authoritative?

Chapter 25 example

Maho usually uses あたし to refer to herself. But when she’s talking to the other girls on page 194, she uses うち.
「うちの弟おもちゃにしないで」

3 Likes

I thought that うちの means “our” with a nuance of “our (in-group)'s,” for example, “our/my family’s.” That seems in line with your example

1 Like

I’m “aware” of that nuance, but I wouldn’t say I understand it. Especially since she’s talking about her little brother, it should imply a closeness already, shouldn’t it? Unless using うち gives a sense of “Don’t make my little brother (who is very precious to me) into your plaything”. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well yes, talking about one’s little brother implies closeness, because one’s little brother is part of one’s in-group, which makes it a perfect time to use うち. I guess it might emphasize the closeness, as you said. A reminder that the rest of the family exists? :thinking: Makes sense to me

1 Like

I just reread chapter 25, but I still have one question.

Page 182

ぼくら末広安那の顔色うかがって生きてかなきゃなんないの?

I don’t really understand what this is saying, particularly the 顔色うかがって part.

Also, the あとがき for volume 3 was pretty interesting. If I understood correctly, the author is explaining that there was a pretty glaring mistake in the original print of chapter 22.

It’s funny, because I remember learning this term somewhere a couple months ago, but I can’t remember where… maybe in Sayaka? Anyway 顔色をうかがう means to like… be at the whims of someone’s facial expressions, sortof literally. Be at their whims. Live while constantly examing their face to see if what you’re doing meets up with their approval.

Heh, originally Seya said 君… not sure I read that before!

2 Likes
Unrelated Personal Problems

My general practitioner just made me fill out a form about my gender identity and body and organs

Guys I just want my antidepressants refilled leave me alone aaahhhh

4 Likes

I’m reading chapter 16 and I have some doubts and a lot of feelings.

Chapter 16:

Page 159

なんだよノリ悪ィやつ
What is the ノリ?

Page 160

やなやつ
や? Is it short for いや or something?

Page 169

やなときに重なっちゃったよね
Another やな that I don’t understand.

Chapter 17:

Page 180

ひっで
超ひっでー
The fact that I can’t seem to understand a word he says is just making me dislike him even harder.
What is ひっで? ひどい maybe?

Go 千葉ちゃん!

Is ユキさん a ditto?

Woah I finished volume 2, I didn’t realize I only had these chapters left. Definitely want to start volume 3 as soon as I can. Gotta read some キノ first though.

I just want everyone to be happy.

3 Likes

All of your other guesses are just correct so… yes!

Also 乗り/ノリ is used often in general to mean, like. Getting on board with something. Like. Riding the enthusiasm.
Here he’s basically saying Shuu is a party pooper.

4 Likes

@QuackingShoe leebo’d me, but I already had most of my answer written up, so I’m just gonna post it anyway. :man_shrugging:
Not so secretly wonders if @QuackingShoe posted quickly just to beat me.

Original anwer below.

You got most of it. :slight_smile:
や = いや and ひっでー = ひどい as you thought.

Page 159

I’d guess 4th meaning here: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary
Specifically “feeling”.
Apparently it’s a phrase ノリが悪い as @QuackingShoe pointed out, but I think the second definition on jisho is more relevant: “not be easily influenced into joining some mood or activity”

What does that mean?

Oh no, you’re catching up to me! I’d better keep reading! But I also have to read Kino.

4 Likes

Not this time, I think we just saw it at the same time and I had less to say :wink:

but i’m not above intentionally leebo’ing people

Also @seanblue is explaining casual speech to people
How they grow up

5 Likes

After seeing the teacher she just went and completely changed her appearance :joy:

Ah, yeah. Didn’t she specifically say something that boiled down to イメチェン? I think I noticed that the second time I read the chapter, but I don’t remember.

1 Like

It’s still the worst though. I agree with @Sylph that I hate the character more for speaking like that.

1 Like

I officially started volume 4. I had intended to take a peak, but before I realized I was actually reading page after page. :sweat_smile:

So I have a few questions about chapter 26.

Page 15

Is there some double meaning if 死ぬ here? It looks like Seya freaked out because it sounded like Maho said Shuu died. But then she says あたしをかばって死んだんだ. So “He stuck up for me and (what?)”… Lost spirit? Lost his drive? Seya seems to calm down, so clearly her clarified meaning was understood.

Pages 19-21

This was a dream, right? It was kinda weird and on page 22 it shows Maho in bed again and she thinks 夢見.

Page 24

そんなに話したきゃ話しかければいーのに

Is 話したきゃ short for 話したければ, as in ば form of 話したい? I don’t think I’ve ever seen ば form in general on い adjectives, so I wanted to check. If so, this would basically mean “If you want to talk to her that badly, you should just start talking to her”, right?

Vol.3 - Chapter 18:

Page 14

ハーくるし
This is not really relevant to the story but what is the くるし ?

Page 15

バラ売りはしてないんだ
I looked this up and I figured this means something like…not sold separately (as in, you can’t get just Shuu), but I wanted to check. Plus I’m kinda intrigued about how it can mean that. I guess it’s just an expression but still.

Page 23

みてろよ瀬谷 :joy:

Whoa @seanblue posted while I was writing this, gotta go fast.

1 Like