放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

On an unrelated note, book clubs are starting again, so my reading of 放浪息子 will slow down a bit. :disappointed_relieved:

Why can’t I have infinite time?

6 Likes

Started volume 3! I have one question about chapter 18.

Page 16

麻衣子ちゃんのいない人生なんて考えられないって言うべきだったかな

I’m pretty sure I understand the meaning before the って:
“Can’t imagine life without Maiko-chan”

But I’m lost with the って言うべきだった part.

Have to say?
Or well, had to say. Should have said.
not looking at context

1 Like

Well, sure, if you translate it literally. :joy:

Feels like a weird way of phrasing that (in a casual context of speaking to herself at least), but I guess it makes sense.

goes to look at context
Yeah

Maybe I should have said I can’t imagine living/life without Maikochan? But that would kinda have been a lie. What do you think?

1 Like

Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks!

Gotta love those verbs with a million meanings.

振る’s 10th definition on jisho:
“to bring up a topic; to lead to a topic​”

3 Likes
Chapter 20 comments

Takatsuki looks very かわいい in the dress, but it gives off an air of “I’ve given up on being me”, which makes me kinda sad. Hopefully things turn around quickly!

2 Likes

ftfy

2 Likes

Ha, yeah. Wasn’t sure about the wording when I posted that. I think that’s twice this past week where I said something made me “kinda sad” and another person responded saying it made them “really sad”.

2 Likes

It always gives me complicated feelings when I see people in girl mode (who do not identify as girls) because everyone is so pretty and I don’t really comprehend why anyone would want to be a guy and then I feel guilty for thinking people are pretty ^^;

Also the ending of chapter 18 is the worst thing ever.

2 Likes

Finally read chapter 11, yay!
It was pretty entertaining.

Chapter 11 spoilers

Maho
The other responsibilities in my life coming to get me when I try to read this manga.

And I have a smallish question:

Page 56

実は嫌われてたりして
I still get confused when there are several grammar structures concatenated like this :sob:
Who dislikes who??

5 Likes

This is essentially the same as saying 嫌われて. It’s passive. All that’s happening here is that you use the inclusive ‘and,’ ‘or something’ たり, which acts like a noun, so you have to する after it.
It doesn’t really add anything semantically here though, it just softens it. Sounds less certain.

As for the scene,

Yuki is concerned that Shuu doesn’t like her because of how Shuu jerked away when Yuki tried touch Shuu’s hair. Yuki doesn’t know it’s because Shuu doesn’t want Yuki to know it’s a wig.

3 Likes

I feel like half of my posts lately have been about inclusive particles :rofl:

Maybe you should start reading again too then, so you can talk about the content. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made a post about the content!
Also I’m the @sigolino of this thread :wink:

Here’s my post about content for the day: I wish every page was Yuki, Shii, Shuu, and Takatsuki hanging out.

2 Likes

I think this is what you’re getting at, but the thing I see as important here is that ~たり~たりする implies there are other things, like や does. So saying 実は嫌われてたりして instead of 実は嫌われてて implies there might be more than that. Is that what you were getting at with the “or something”?

Meaning you already read it but you’re still commenting to help out? I thought you were planning to reread it (not that I particularly care if you do or not :stuck_out_tongue:).

Yeah. But I’ve been rereading sections of it as you folks talk about it :wink:

Yeah. But I don’t think the literal function of たり is particularly relevant here, which is what I meant when I said it didn’t have any semantic meaning. It’s like in English saying “i think she hates me or something” or “do you want to go out sometime or something?”
There isn’t actually a “something” in either those - you’re just hedging what you say. If you dropped the “or something” you’d be saying exactly the same thing, just more confidently.

2 Likes

Almost like とか at that point. Ending with して also increases the uncertainty I think.

1 Like