放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

I’d say this is mostly an experience thing, but note Shuu did say Seya was a 知らない人. Also note the way the characters talk to each other - Seya is very polite to Shuu because they don’t know each other, but when he gives the notebook back to Maho they’re super casual becaus they’re classmates and apparently talk. Maho is even like せやじゃん. (I don’t have the book in front of me anymore and don’t remember how his name is written)

A lot of times in Japanese you have to use these cultural language things because they imply a lot.

Also, keep reading. :slight_smile:

Assuming you were avoiding spoiled sections you wouldn’t have seen this, but regarding chapter 11 I said:

瀬谷

3 Likes

Leftover chapter 16 question:

Page 171

ユキ:シュウくんたちも泊ってたりして
シー:お前ね、いくらしたと思ってんだ ここ

Is ユキ commenting about Shuuichi and Takatsuki staying overnight on their trip? Or something more? And I don’t really get the response at all.

I finished rereading chapter 17. Couple comments:

Pages 181-182

There are so many of these book and play references that I just don’t know. I can look them up, but I still feel like I’m missing out since I don’t know the material well. :disappointed:

Page 189

ユキ is really showing her age with that “what are kids learning these days” kind of statement. :joy:

@ninjaflautist90 @nehahahaXD @RysingDragon @Darcinon @rawrdinosaur @MissMisc @merlumina @camo @Rawarauf @Belerith

Hi everyone that voted “planning to read but haven’t started”. Have any of you bought the first volume? :slight_smile:

I also updated the goal for March. Now volumes 1 to 6. Though nobody even got past volume 2, except Naphthalene and lopicake who are both past the new volume 6 goal anyway… I’ll just keep the goal at volumes 1-6 until more people catch up / join in.

6 Likes

I haven’t bought it yet, but it’s not like that’s takes any time for ebooks. I haven’t been reading much this week (in Japanese, anyway), so maybe I’ll start tonight.

That reminded me to update bookmeter so I have 1 book on my finished bookshelf xD

3 Likes

Oops no xD the list of things I want to read keeps adding up, I’ll get there eventually :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Got it!

What’s this jumble of kanji??

__の注入販売促進まんが ?

I figured out more than I expected just by typing it, but all the credit for 進 goes to my IME for its suggestion. I thought it was a weird 直

Ehehe, I spent a while trying to figure out that handwritten stuff before giving up on a lot of it. Thankfully there’s very little handwritten writing in the actual chapters.

To your question, I’m not sure. The only guess I have from searching by part and wildcard is 敷居.

1 Like

I’m honestly a bit intimidated to start because I haven’t read anything in Japanese beyond a couple of graded readers and textbooks, so I was going to focus on the Beginner and Absolute Beginner Book Clubs first. But if I can find a copy in BookOff this weekend, I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense! 放浪息子 probably isn’t the best manga to start with anyway (no furigana and jumps around a lot). I’d say if you’re still interested in a few months check it out then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

I don’t know if I’ll manage to join you guys - also haven’t bought it yet. I kind of feel like I need to wait until I’ve settled into a routine with キノ and 少女終末旅行 before I can decide.

Mostly voted for what I did because I really liked the manga when I read a fan translation. But if there’s hope to still be able to catch up, that might influence my decision.

We’ll see~ :smiley:

1 Like

Not yettttttt although I’m severely tempted to now that I’ve been tagged in the thread. I’m waiting for my wallet to recover from my last purchase though.

It’s 敷居住人販売促進まんが

4 Likes

The worst part is I remember thinking “wow, Shuu is the worst and does’t even remember a classmate”. Turns out I’m the worst.
How did I manage to write worst thrice? I’m still asleep

1 Like

The beginning is 敷居の住人 :sweat_smile:
Edit: ah @nehahahaXD said so already nevermind :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m think Yuki is saying “I wonder if Shuu’s class is also staying here”
Shii is saying “hey how much do you think this place costs!?”

My first readthrough I thought Yuki was saying they should also bring Shuu and Takatsuki to stay there, in which case Shii’s response still makes sense, but I thiiiiiink it’s the former.

Ahh, that makes sense. I didn’t realize they were already staying at the lodge (or whatever) where the trip is.

Incidentally, I love Yuki and Shii, and I also love their story.

let’s just follow them from now on and have a story where everybody is already out and happy and the horrible, horrible adolescence is in the past

1 Like

You should really indicate when your spoilers can be read. Is it safe to read after finishing just the first two volumes?

Yeah, it was partially aimed at you :wink:

Can never be too careful haha. I really hate spoilers.

1 Like