放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

All I remember from when 高槻 met her was that she gave her phone number (I didn’t even catch the name?) and I’m guessing they never met again until this chapter so now I don’t know if it was somehow implied that she was LGTB and I missed it or if they know something the reader doesn’t or ???. I mean, I don’t know if I’m supposed to know already or if this is when the author lets you know.

1 Like

You’re not supposed to know already, this is when you find out, and it tells with narration before you see it in action. It’ll tell you more in chapter 10.

2 Likes

Things are clarified this volume, so I’d say just keep reading.

3 Likes

I understand why you’re confused, but it’a that second-language self-doubt we talked about before. Basically the author is intentionally dropping a bomb on you, and will fill you in later. You didn’t miss anything ^^

2 Likes

Ohh, so that was narration. At first I thought it was 高槻’s thoughts and it seemed weird to me to use that word like that if it’s supposed to be derogatory.

Thanks for clarifying. I’m still having trouble with this whole “did I miss something or is the author doing the thing again?” business :sweat_smile:. Tough it makes it kinda fun.

I shall keep reading then. For science.

3 Likes

I think the narration might have been Shuu’s retroactive thoughts, but I don’t think it really makes a difference
I read it as… ”that’s how i/we met the cross-dresser, Yuki” is probably the closest English I can approximate

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I didn’t pick up on this at the time either.

2 Likes

Yeah I think it’s intended to be a “wait, what?” moment to the Japanese audience as well

1 Like
I think it was volume 2 or 3

Yuki already mentioned it, so I knew it would be coming. The one that hit me the worst somehow comes later (volume 4-5?) when they discuss voice changing. But yes, everything related to puberty brings the feels. Having your body change slowly but surely the way you don’t want, and being unable to do anything about it… :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Actually, some transgender people in Japan do use that term for themselves. I just assumed it was the case here.
There’s an interesting discussion (from a language learning perspective) of the various terms used in Japan in オカマだけどOLやってます

Thanks for the link!

International LGBT Politics

But yeah, that’s kinda what I mean about the politics being different. Here, there’s a strong trans-women-are-women (and tmam) push, but I don’t know that that’s the case in Japan - it doesn’t seem to be, with how I see it talked about, and the だけど in that title. I genuinely don’t know that much about it, though, I just have my other-side-of-the-world impressions. And I try not to impose America’s views on LGBT stuff on the LGBT people (who sometimes reject the label of LGBT) of other countries because I don’t think it’s my place :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes
Japanese LGBT stuff

Well, it’s Japan, people don’t like to push too much. But, with that baseline, the LGBT is pretty insistant on that too.
In the book I linked to, the author explains that she used that term while she was still pre-op.

While there’s a lack of knowledge (I had people ask me what’s the difference between being transgender and being gay :woman_facepalming:), I feel like things are moving forward. I’ve talked with people who mentioned that their high school adapted rules to their situation (part of the dress code, can use some separate bathroom, can change in a separated area). It’s not optimal, but it’s something. One of the big news last year was that Ochanomizu University (the number one women’s university in Japan) will start accepting transgender women. So, yeah, it feels like things are moving in the right direction.

4 Likes

I more or less finished volume 2. I kind of 多読ed the last chapter (chapter 17) since it was the second part of a two part chapter and it was too late at night to read it properly. But I do need to read it again properly, because there was a lot I missed. The chapter was a bit difficult compared to a lot of other chapters, including a ton of vocabulary I didn’t know, even if I still got the gist without looking much up.

I was quite surprised to see 忌 without furigana, but apparently it’s taught in junior high (and level 58 of WaniKani). Now that I’ve looked it up, I apparently already knew a word that used the kanji: 禁忌. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

the fact that this is kinki (kinky) is funny

1 Like

That thought has never crossed my mind, I swear. :eyes:

1 Like

Just read chapter 10. It felt like a pretty varied chapter.

I’m having trouble understanding the very first sentence,

将来の夢がある人 ない人それぞれ違うとは思うけど

and it’s very frustrating because I feel like I have all the bits and it should be fairly obvious but…it’s not happening.

On another note, I’m not sure if 千葉さん has some short of problem or if she just feels lonely in her class. But that’s just something I’ll find out if I keep reading I guess.

In the last page I understood that they are saying (whatshisname) likes まほ so one says that’s probably why he went out of his way to give back the notebook but… if he liked her before wouldn’t he know that wasn’t her? Just wondering if they are just speculating or if I got something wrong.

I think there are people who do and don’t have dreams for the future, but…
I think in an English translation, it’s hard to shove a literal translation of それぞれ違う in there without it sounding super weird. But she’s saying that everyone different.

I’m not sure what you mean. When did Seya think someone else was Maho?

Btw page numbers are easier~

Well, since in page 43 he sees 修 with the wig and everything and then thinks かわいかった in the next page I figured he though it was the sister まほ. But that must mean he didn’t know her beforehand (or he’d know it isn’t her). Of course he could think it is a different sister but since in page 45 they say he likes まほ… thus my confusion.

Ah, okay, you misunderstood some panels.
Seya comes to the house to return Maho’s notebook, possibly because he likes her (as her friends surmise). However, only Shuu is home, and in girl-mode. Shuu is freaking out but opens the door (barely) anyway because she doesn’t know Seya so it’s not an immediate outing. Seya never thinks Shuu is Maho. On page 42, you see Seya saying that he’s 二鳥さんと同じクラスの
He means Maho - her name is 二鳥 too after all, and he’s explaining why he’s there. Then we only see Seya’s words after that, Shuu’s are “off screen”. But Seya asks if 二鳥 (まほ) has come back yet. She hasn’t. Oh. It’s okay. Sorry. He leaves.
Then when he returns the notebook the next day at school, he thinks about how Shuu was really cute, which sets up a potential conflict, which Maho’s friends drive home by putting in her head that Seya likes her even though now we know he’s drawn to Maho’s mysterious cute “sister”

3 Likes

Oh wow I really misunderstood a lot :joy:. The whole time I was thinking 二鳥 = 修一 but of course that’s the surname so they both have it. I thought it was weird that he wouldn’t recognize someone from his own class (but figured it was one of those -you wear something you usually don’t so you are suddenly unrecognizable by your closest acquaintances- kind of thing).
This makes a lot more sense. Thanks for explaining!

1 Like