放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

104-105
I think it happened, yeah.

This is actually a use or 試し I’ve only just seen recently, actually. Saying: うまくいった試しはない = “I’ve never had a successful attempt/it’s never been successful”
This is the same idea. She’s saying she’s never successfully continued an exchange diary, because she immediately forgets and everyone gets mad at her.

5 Likes

Ah, perfect. That’s clears up the whole conversation. Thanks!

I didn’t think to look it up in my grammar dictionaries before asking, but I went through them just now. It’s basically the same as Verb[た]こと(は)ない, but Verb[た]ためし(は)ない seems to carry a negative connotation.

More examples:

2 Likes

Interesting. Where I saw this, it was actually written 試し. Might have been a mistake though.

Seems like the kind of thing that would be easy to get wrong. Almost like an english eggcorn

Yesterday I looked up いっぺん because it was in 放浪息子 and now I’m learning the kanji version on WaniKani. :laughing:

2 Likes

Now in death rush mode ‘cause I have to give back the manga tomorrow (and I basically didn’t read anything until yesterday night)

Chapter 31

COULD YOU JUST NOT?

2 Likes

I’ll get back to you in a few weeks. :joy:

Can’t you renew a library loan?

2 Likes

I can, but I going “abroad” (visiting family back in France), and I won’t be back before it expires too… so not in this case.

2 Likes
Chapter 31

I know right

I understand her but I still hate her

1 Like

I just realized that I majorly missed something in chapter 13.

Chapter 13 and 15 spoilers

Yuki-san showed that picture of her in chapter 13. At first I thought it was showing that she used to be a guy, but then a different line (お前らみたいなのはそうそうゴロゴロしてないから) tripped me up and I decided I must have misunderstood. Now that I’ve read chapter 15 and Yuki-san explained what happened to her, I realize that I was right the first time and that the dialogue from chapter 13 was referring specifically and only to Shii-chan not being a girl.

1 Like

Yeah she was saying that they weren’t both trans the way Shuu and Takatsuki are

1 Like

Well, I’m a bit too far ahead from schedule now, so I won’t give any specifics, by this manga is really good at bringing out some anguish I forgot obviously knew nothing about.
okay, I’m going to drop that joke now

It’s really uplifting (?) to see them work through that together, and I do wish there was less drama on the side making everything sadder and darker. I’m more and more scared by @lopicake’s ominous words.

4 Likes

I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO SUCCESSFULLY COME OUT

5 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:

I couldn’t agree more.

3 Likes

While I don’t have much of anything to say about the story and can’t read your spoilers yet, thank you to the people who posted in this thread recently and brought it back to the recent topics for indirectly reminding me to buy the rest of the series.

4 Likes

Psst! What volume are you up to? The poll still says volume 1.

1 Like

Chapter 9 felt short and easy, that’s nice.

And it was pretty cute too.

Although I don’t understand what they mean in the last sentence with オカマのユキさん. I don’t see how any of the results Jisho gives me make sense there but I might be (probably am) missing something?

I don’t have the book in front of me, but one of the definitions is 女性の容姿や言葉遣いをまねる男性。. This word has been used a few times already, and I think that’s the most relevant definition in general.

I can check when I get home to make sure this meaning is correct in this context.

Please check when you can because I think I’ve definitely missed something :see_no_evil:. Plus I though it was a derogatory term but maybe it depends on context?

Jisho says it’s derogatory, but it could depend on the context; I have no idea. But the mangaka sure does throw around this word a lot, which makes me question if it is derogatory in all contexts.

I’ll post again once I’ve checked the manga.

1 Like

I’d say it’s like calling someone a fairy of a poof (on the lighter side, or tw fag on the worse side) sometimes with transvestite thrown in.

I object to that term being applied to Yuki, but LGBT politics are different in Japan.

What in particular are you confused about?