放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

Goal

This thread is for people who are reading (or are interested in reading) the manga series 放浪息子, by 志村貴子. The series ended in 2013 and has a total of 15 volumes. In this thread we can ask for help and discuss the entire series.

We won’t have specific week to week discussions like the normal book clubs, allowing people to read at their own pace and jump in whenever they want.

Samples

Here are some sample pages:

First Four Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages from Volume One

Purchasing

You can purchase the first volume of the series here:
Amazon
eBookJapan

Best practice

Make sure to hide spoilers behind detail blocks. For example:

[details=“Title”]
This text will be hidden
[/details]

Spoiler for chapter 5 (example)

Just an example.

Participation polls

Please indicate your interest/status here:

• I’ve finished all 15 volumes of 放浪息子
  • I’m currently reading 放浪息子
  • I’m taking a break from reading 放浪息子, but plan to continue reading in the future
  • I’m no longer reading 放浪息子 and don’t plan to continue
  • I want to read 放浪息子, but haven’t started
  • I’m not interested in reading 放浪息子
  • Other
0 voters

Please indicate what volume you are currently reading or most recently finished here:

• I’m not planning to read the series
  • I’m planning to read the series, but haven’t started
  • Volume 1
  • Volume 2
  • Volume 3
  • Volume 4
  • Volume 5
  • Volume 6
  • Volume 7
  • Volume 8
  • Volume 9
  • Volume 10
  • Volume 11
  • Volume 12
  • Volume 13
  • Volume 14
  • Volume 15 (currently reading)
  • I’ve completed the entire series
  • Other
0 voters
11 Likes

@Naphthalene @QuackingShoe I’m ready to go! Did you guys want to have any kind of schedule (e.g. This month is volumes 1-4, next month volumes 2-6, etc.)? Or just keep it completely unscheduled?

10 Likes

CC: people who voted for 放浪息子 in the last beginner book club poll:
@Kazzeon
@windupbird
@gqad
@lopicake
@ditto20
@Leous2nd
@Gery1328
@MissMisc
@sloa123

5 Likes

CC 2: people who voted for 放浪息子 in the last beginner book club poll:
@Vasie
@ninjaflautist90
@rawrdinosaur
@Sylph
@merlumina
@Mexikanas
@halfriver

3 Likes

I’m a really big fan of schedules because they motivate me and keep us on the same page~

1 Like

HOW MANY BOOKS DO YOU GUYS WANNA READ OMGAD.

I might get into this. Idk. I’m crazy. I’ll think about it.

14 Likes

This is mostly just to have a place to discuss the series. I’ll be reading it on my off time between other books or if I’m just in the mood. It’s not unheard of for me to get behind on one of the scheduled book clubs because I felt like reading something else.

3 Likes

A rough schedule would be nice for me too, since I’d like to know when I really need to get off my butt and go buy vol.2

1 Like

Right now!

But yeah I’m big procrastinator.

1 Like

WINK :wink:

1 Like

I kind of like a rolling window for this similar to what some of the absolute beginner book clubs have done. That way there’s no pressure like “you must finish this week”, but there’s still some kind of deadline. Ideally, how long would you guys like to spend reading the whole series, understanding that it’s still while we’re doing all the official book clubs?

3 Likes

I like the rolling window idea - that does take some pressure off while still having something to hold on to.

Btw, I have some of the first half of the series in English, if anyone wants a translation comparison.

6 Likes

It doesn’t matter to me too much. Normally I’m super impatient, but because I did read a ton of it years ago, I’m not as bothered. But, I dunno, a few volumes a month?

4 Likes

No plan, really. I can always fit a manga or two in my schedule.
Depending on my involvement in the story, I may finish it quicker, but I’ll still watch the thread anyway.

3 Likes

Good to know! It’s a shame only half the series was ever officially translated.

Alright, I’ll figure something out that roughly correlates to 2 volumes a month, but still in a rolling schedule format. Give me a week or so to figure it out.

3 Likes

It was? That’s a travesty.

Through volume 8 according to Wikipedia.

1 Like

The free market can suck it.

:wink:

5 Likes

That’s a travesty! Welp, all the more reason for this thread, then. :smile:

Specifically, I have 1-5 and 7. (I really need to fix the fact that I’m randomly missing 6… :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Do you currently own any volumes in Japanese?

1 Like