放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

1-4 a month seems reasonable with a rolling window. I think I might max out at 3 a month most of the time, though.

Turned out that volume 2 was weirdly not shipping to the US from the Amazon Japan site. I ended getting pretty much the whole series from the US Amazon, which ended up being cheaper, but the shipping was longer. Should be getting everything around Feb. 20.

I started reading a bit over the weekend, but then I was sick for the last few days, so I didn’t get very far. :sweat_smile: :mask: :face_with_thermometer:

3 Likes

That must still have been expensive, getting them all from Amazon.

1 Like

It was about $5 per book with free shipping, so it was way better than getting them one at a time. :woman_shrugging: They were cheaper altogether than the textbook I got with them for work. :eyes:

1 Like

Hey, that’s not bad at all! That’s the same amount I spent for the set on ebay.

1 Like

I think 1-4 per month seems like a reasonable window to accommodate everyone. (I’ll definitely be more on the 1 per month end [maybe 2 if I really push it], but that’s ok ^^)

Yes, what the heck is up with that? D: I went to go buy Vol 2 on US Amazon and new was listed for like $50! (The rest of the volumes are listed for like $12 new). Luckily there are some cheaper used ones, so I’ll probably end up ordering one of those. Is that volume like super rare or something? So random.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m officially recommending this pace. That means February’s goal is to focus on volumes 1-4. Hear that @Naphthalene? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

:0

I’ll just uh…Lurk in the shadows. :ghost:

4 Likes

Your job is now to answer everyone’s grammer questions

6 Likes

Don’t worry, March will be volumes 2-8. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I may or may not have just borrowed volumes 2-8 and have to give them back in 2 weeks.
That would be a bummer if I did.

2 Likes

You could always re-borrow them. :laughing:

Obviously everyone can actually read at whatever pace they want and discuss whatever they want. But I figured some focus would keep the group together better.

2 Likes

I mean, late fees are pretty low if we’re being honest… :wink:

2 Likes

:cold_sweat: Just because I read ahead doesn’t mean I’m an expert on the grammar. (Plot/character development questions on the other hand…)

Join the dark side~ ☆~ ☆~ :smiling_imp:
We have cookies! And feels. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Question for people living in Japan. Do elementary school kids not wear uniforms? Is it just middle school and later?

Just middle and high school.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

I finished chapter 4 and as usual I have some questions:

Page 79

Takatsuki’s mom: そうようお姉ちゃんが中学ん時のも全部とってあんだから
Takatsuki’s sister: とっといてどうすんだっつの
Takatsuki’s mom: 思い出よ

Wow, all the slang all of a sudden is not very welcome. I’m very lost here. Mostly by the とってあん part in the mom’s sentence, and the だっつ part by the sister.

Page 89

どっちにもなれて - thought by Shuuichi after the haircut and the exchange about male bonding and Shuuichi seeming more like a girl. I swear, one of these days I’ll internalize all the も・にも・でも combinations after question words, but that hasn’t happened yet. Some help please?

Page 98

でも かけてくんないだろな
ま 一応

一応, my mortal enemy has returned. So this girl is flirting with Takatsuki, gives over her phone number, then says not to call her, then says 一応. So is she saying “Well, maybe once” for Takatsuki to call? Or that the phone number is “just in case”? Something else? I figure the dialog’s not quite supposed to be logical since she’s flirting, but I’d still like to know what it’s supposed to mean here.

End of chapter 4 plot

So how old do we think this girl is supposed to be?

1 Like

Now we are in my world

とってあん is とってあるの
She’s kept all of neechans clothes
Neechan says “what were you planning to with them” basically and mom says “as mementos” I guess. The っつの is like って at the end of a sentence.

Shuu is looking at Takatsuki and thinking that it’s nice to be a girl because you can have your hair short or long. Without outing yourself, basically. Shuu is jelly. It’s なる in potential I believe.

She doesn’t day not to call, she says that he provably won’t call, but she’s doing it anyway. 一応.

4 Likes

Ah, right. Should have paid more attention to the くれる. I guess it’s the “just in case” meaning then.

Thanks as always!

2 Likes

Oh also

Way too friggen old

1 Like

Probably like 16-17, which is still too old (for the mcs)