放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

Done chapter 3. I wonder if I should try to read/watch some version of The Rose of Versailles. I’ve heard of it, but I kept having to refer to the wikipedia page on it to know who the different characters are.

Page 59

I guess siblings will be siblings, but that was so mean of the sister to call him やらしい in front of their mom. The mom’s reaction was kind of priceless though. :laughing:

Page 60

I know the literal meaning of 頭数, but is the girl (do we know her name yet?) saying this to imply that the rest of them were invited just to reach a certain head count? Her next line 本命は二鳥くんだから seems to indicate that she thinks that, but I wasn’t sure if that was implied by the previous statement or not.

P.S. I had to add 二鳥 to my IME’s dictionary. I guess that’s not a standard name (read as にとり at least), because it’s not in jisho either.

General chapter 3 comments

Poor 千葉さん (@Naphthalene :stuck_out_tongue:) was soooo disappointed that Shuuichi won’t be wearing girl’s clothes in the play. :laughing: The characters really are right when they describe here as 分かりやすい.

2 Likes
Oh I know

There’s was a couple churches and even a Catholic high school in the super inaka town I lived in. But Christians are still a small minority. It’s just a weird jump for her to be like “I want to go to church!” without any foreshadowing. It’s like a grade schooler child in America saying “I want to go to mosque!” without knowing if their family is even Muslim.

I’m on the 4th volume but I don’t think I have. Maybe I just haven’t been paying attention. I do like the art style a lot though.

If no one answers your questions @seanblue , I’ll try when I get home from work!

2 Likes

Thanks! You’re going to finish the whole series within a couple months, aren’t you?

2 Likes

More like a couple days at this rate :thinking:

What were the questions?

2 Likes

The question about あてる here: 放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion - #67 by seanblue

And then from chapter 3:

商品をあてて比べるのはok試着は遠慮してって英語でなんて言うの? - DMM英会話なんてuKnow? 当ててみる (emilie’s answer)
Page 60: I would say yes.

Edit:

Similar context

3 Likes

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Well, @QuackingShoe was faster, but definition 4:

https://kotobank.jp/word/当てる・中てる・充てる・宛てる-197340

4 Likes

Thanks again. Not sure how I didn’t make that connection. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Because that word has a billion 11.5 different meanings?

6 Likes

I didn’t know of it’s use in that context, it required use of my google-fu
Or google-jutsu as the case may be

3 Likes

It’s been super cold and rainy these past few weeks. Nothing else to do after work but curl up with a cup of tea and a book. :wink:
And I also don’t feel as guilty as when I play games all night…

1 Like

Breaking: my local library has 放浪息子. It’s even cheaper (aka free) than book off :star_struck:

9 Likes

Barring you getting super into the manga and binge reading, any idea how long you plan to read it over?

1 Like

I was in a read-everything-all-day mood just recently, but now I’m in a game-all-night mood, and it’s frustratingggg

2 Likes

I’m planning to be done when we start the one from the beginner book club. :thinking: So one month or so?

Like two weeks ago I binged Kingdom Hearts 3 the day it came out in Japan. 30 hours in 3 days… :joy: That’s why I’m taking a wee break from games right now lol.

I guess you’ll be able to answer all my questions then since I’ll be reading over several months. :grin:

1 Like

Do I have to make the “reading goal” for the thread have a maximum too for you and @lopicake? Let’s say in February read at least one volume and no more than four? :stuck_out_tongue:

Half-jokes aside, @ninjaflautist90 @windupbird @ditto20 (just tagging you three since you haven’t started reading yet), what do you think a reasonable monthly goal / goal range is? I kind of think saying to read anywhere from 1-4 volumes a month seems reasonable. Basically ranges from one a month to one a week.

4 Likes

Anywhere between 1 and 4 seems reasonable enough. I personally won’t be able to do more than one or two this month, because I only have the first volume at the moment, but I’m fine with ending up behind for a bit. (I kind of already am with aria, but I should be able to catch up on that this weekend after my quantum physics exam is done and before my next course starts)

3 Likes