放浪息子 (Wandering Son) miscellaneous discussion

I did, with the quote as well.

I took 1h 50 minutes. (I somehow checked the time before, 'cause I wanted to read a bit before doing some work, then just after finishing, 'cause aaaaaaaa I haven’t done anything… oh, I still have time… goes to the forum)

5 Likes

Hey, not bad. I only spent like 30 minutes reading the first chapter. And then like 45 minutes writing up my questions. :eyes:

5 Likes

I could try reading and then asking questions, but I don’t like leaving stuff without looking up a lot of things, so I take too long. :joy:
Honestly, the reading part wasn’t that long, it was only like 20 pages, but looking stuff up. :cold_sweat:

I looked up a bunch as I read too, but I generally finish a chapter before posting questions, unless I get completely lost. Otherwise it’s too inefficient waiting for answers.

I also binged it and was alternating every 30 minutes between reading this and then reading 君の膵臓をたべたい。In 30 minutes I read like 2-3 chapters of this…and 10 pages of 君の膵臓をたべたい。Psssh.

2 Likes

Same

2 Likes

Done chapter 2. I just have two questions:

Page 39

ザコに用はないから
Does this basically mean “because they’re useless”?

Page 49-50

ちょっとあててみたりして、着ちゃった……

Can anyone explain the first half of the sentence? I assume it’s あてる + ~てみる + ~たり form, but I’m not sure what meaning is intended for あてる.

General thoughts on chapter 2

I just read this two weeks ago, and I already forgot this stuff was so early! I feel a little bad for Shuuichi, because Saori was pressuring him into doing stuff. In the end he was enjoying himself in the privacy of his own home (so it seemed), but it’s a little mean to pressure him into doing all that around others.

Favorite line was on page 40. “Anyone who wants to see Nitori-kun become a more perfect girl (raise your hand)” :laughing:

P.S. I never know the best way to write characters’ names. Shuuichi? Nitori? 修一? 二鳥? The lazy part of me wants to write it in romaji, but then sometimes it looks weird. And also, when different characters use first and last names, I don’t know which to use.

3 Likes

there’s no use for small fish! Though you’d think a country like Japan would know how untrue that is >_>
49-50
It’s the “try” meaning

Yeah, it’s funny, although it’s hard to convey the incredibly mixed feelings comments like that cause. Although the author seems to know. This manga is so very authentic.

Can we refer to the characters by how they identify?

Edit: oh also, I guess names are personal preference. Even among Japanese people I tens to see different people call different names. Personally, I tend to think of them as Shuu(ichi) and Takatsuki. But I don’t really see how Nitori would be less valid

1 Like

Fun fact, I used context from what you wrote to infer you are talking about 千葉さん :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it is. I’m going to refrain from saying anything until you get further in the book (also I don’t have it with me right now, and I don’t remember chapter I want to refer to) but she makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don’t think she is a bad person per se, just really bad at social stuff.

Chiba is one of the things I look forward to least in reading this again.
Although I don’t think she means to be, y’know, god-damn awful.

1 Like

For あてる? I don’t see a “try” meaning.

In chapter 2 nobody has really addressed her by name. 千葉さん probably would have been better though haha.

I definitely refer to the two of them that way as well. I guess it’s just a matter of seeing how the characters tend to address each other over time.

There’s not really any indication of how they identify this early in the manga, but even if/when there is I can’t promise I won’t mess up.

1 Like

Aww I like 千葉ちゃん, maybe it’s because I’m a little farther ahead but she definitely redeems herself in my eyes!
But there’s a scene in Volume 3 that was definitely made me really uncomfortable and it wasn’t with 千葉。: /

As far as referring to their identity, I agree we should wait until they actually start actually referring to themselves that way, whenever that may come.

3 Likes
End-ish of book 1 spoiler (will edit later if I remember)

Well, that’s a relief to hear. When she started attending church to “correct her mistakes”, I really saw it going toward her getting hellbent (pun intended) on making a proper man out of Shuu instead.
I so hope it isn’t the case. Or tables will be flipped. I may have to buy extra tables just to flip them.

2 Likes

They (the two protagonists) don’t do a great job of ever being explicit about their identity ot really coming out, because they’re kids in Japan. They’re definitively trans kids, though.

Takatsuki is more complicated than Shuuichi, but they both have a really hard time sorting through everything.

2 Likes

Is the blurred text a spoiler for the series? I’m going to avoid reading it because I want to read the series knowing as little as possible.

I was worried about the same thing too!

I was kind of confused that it’s even a story line because her mom isn’t even Christian and it just seems out of place for a story set in Japan. Like if she’s going to become more spiritual why wouldn’t she go to a Buddhist temple? Maybe her family is Christian but her mom is just lackadaisy

about it?

I mean, I’d think I’d like to treat it how I would treat it in real life. If someone is going through a period of confusion and they don’t really know which way they identify yet, I’m not going to jump the gun and conclude it for them and start calling them pronouns they’re not ready to identify with yet.

Obviously this book is being written to tell this kind of story so we are making some presumptions, but we still don’t technically know how it’s going to turn out. (Though that cover for Volume 15 seems pretty spoilery. :x)

1 Like

It’s not a specific spoiler but alludes to something spoilery so I’d say don’t read it yet.

1 Like
That being said

Actually, I know two Japanese persons who recently converted to christianisme. One even changed their official first name to a Christian name, and spent the next two weeks showing their updated driver’s license to everyone. So I wouldn’t say it’s that strange. It’s also pretty common to see churches around the place where I used to live :woman_shrugging:

I guess I can only say that this makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Unrelatedly, have you noticed the jump in art quality? It’s so big as the series progresses it’s almost like reading a webcomic.

1 Like