广 = "Mullet"...What?

Me too. And I’m not a native english speaker.

Ok so maybe nobody is curious but me any more but here’s what the workload chart looks like corrected for short levels. Pretty much the same.

A little different if I don’t average over weeks, but if you squint it’s the same thing:

Now the what if:
What if instead of waiting until Guru to unlock the next thing, you only had to wait until the previous thing was, let’s say, Apprentice 4?

Much faster to all-burned, but much higher workload (almost double)

At level 3 “you are here” goes on the front slope about 12, 13-ish high on the first chart.

Edited in so as not to prolong the thread derail:
Here’s another interesting thing - the spikes in the first graph aren’t real. They’re artifacts of the averaging period not lining up exactly with the lesson rate. Since the time from zero to guru is a little over 3 days, if I average every 3 days (I have to pick a whole number) it gets a lot smoother. If I could pick the exact length to average over, I bet it would be perfectly smooth. And look at that, peak is 9 x the lesson rate (or 8 x the lesson rate for reviews, plus still lessons), just like I thought it would be.

I’m done now, I promise. Curiosity satisfied. :smile:

8 Likes

Great work…thanks for the effort!

Note that the super jagged un-averaged one predicts some very low days and some killers, 300-400 reviews high if you estimate a half-level being about 50 items. Checks with experience so far.

Made perfect sense to me. And there’s already a cliff radical, so having two radicals based on cliffs would be confusing, especially when it came to using the names to remember the relevant kanji.

Cliff 厂
House on cliff 广
House on cliff + a place = a shop 店
etc…

While as mentioned, anything can be used as a mnemonic device, when you are connecting things together, having them all relate logically is very important hence why most already uses “cliff”…well that’s how my little brain works at least…

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, why did you change the meaning of 占?

It’s worth keeping in mind that any time you change a mnemonic for one thing, you change it in all the other places it is used as well.

It’s very easy to make a solid mnemonic for any single kanji on its own. The tricky thing is making a system for 2000+ kanji that all work together. That’s why the overhaul is taking so long.

I like that! Always interested in other people’s custom mnemonics.

Citations:
One of my main resources is a book called Kanji ABC from 1992.
Google: https://translate.google.ca/#ja/en/占
My wife

Usage is not specifically “a place” but rather “when somebody/something occupies a location, it dominates it”…kinda an abstract explanation but when you think of a store on a hill, it’s great location would be commanding. It’s a very militaristic character so occupy/place/location all fit…and work with what I’ve previously seen.

“The tricky thing is making a system for 2000+ kanji that all work together.”
True and that’s why I use many, many sources, not just WK.

EDIT
独占 = when you are by yourself (solitary) in a place you will have a monopoly…

Yes, one of the meanings of 占 is “occupy.” So, I’m not questioning how you can logically make that connection to “place.”

WK doesn’t use that one though. They use the other meaning, “fortune,” for 占. So, I was asking why change what they have when it’s going to have an impact on all the other mnemonics where it appears as well. You make one change and now you have to rewrite all of those as well.

I just mean, this topic is about “why doesn’t WK change this particular radical name to one that works better for me” and I don’t think anyone can argue that if someone wants to they can make the best mnemonics for themselves.

But kind of the whole point for WK is balancing all the elements (memorability, understandability, not-getting-complaints-ability) and making something that is general purpose so that we don’t have to do all that work.

If all you want to do is tell us that you made a better mnemonic for yourself, I think that’s a different topic.

1 Like

I’m not even at that one yet for WK so I honestly didn’t even know which they used…I just tossed that out there (out of ignorance thinking they used way I though to be the more common mnemonic )

If they are using one I don’t use then I will just ignore their suggestion much like mullet…

If all you want to do is tell us that you made a better mnemonic for yourself, I think that’s a different topic.

I’ve cited many references alone the way stating where I have gotten this (and other) tips from…this isn’t about me so I’ll stop you right there…I’m not the one reinventing the wheel. Heck even in Chinese it’s even more about the location concept.

As I said before, I don’t use and never will just use one system so if there are odd mnemonic that don’t work for me (for whatever reason) then I will just change them…if it turns out that WK really tries to reinvent the wheel then I will just move on…

It’s not reinventing the wheel to use “fortune” for 占.

It’s the primary meaning on Kanjipedia (a site made by the Kanji Kentei people).

I’m assuming you understand that they are only giving each radical one meaning. So you have to exclude one or more if you are choosing a meaning for something that has multiple associated meanings.

They’re not going to call it “place” in one mnemonic, “fortune” another one, because then you are sacrificing memorability.

It’s not reinventing the wheel to use “fortune” for 占.
Correct, that was more about ‘mullet’. 占 IMO just seems like an odd choice for the reasons already stated.

When I get to those kanji/vocab that use the character or version of it, then I’ll choose what to do then but I don’t want to look ahead…

Yeah, I’m not going to tell anyone they can’t ignore the mnemonics if they don’t want to use them.

But changes have to be system-wide, not kanji-by-kanji.

It’s all about perspective…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.