广 = "Mullet"...What?

It should be mentioned, the lifetime subscription usually goes on sale around Christmas =)
So if you find that you like it (you should know by then) it will be much more affordable if you consider staying for the long run, and want the ability to go back and always have access =)
Some do prefer just paying for the time used, and only stay in the forum after hitting lvl 60 though =)

I personally bought it full price, cause I started just as the sale had ended =P
Was worth every penny! =D

As a side note, you can tell who has what by their color =)
Gray: no subscription
Blue: monthly/yearly subscription
Purple: Lifetime
Gold: Lvl 60 (regardless of subscription or not)
Pink: Admin

4 Likes

Scripts, plug ins, anki…

Damm I’m old and not tech savvy as that makes about as much sense to me as level 60 Kanji!

Note to self: get daughter to use WK properly so she can sort all that out for me!

3 Likes

Excellent tip!

1 Like

I grew up in the US and have no idea who Charlie Sheen is. Nor any of the other names.

You know, I was talking with a friend (also working through WK) and came to this conclusion: I think WK’s mnemonics must be intentionally trying to avoid artifacts of non-Western culture. That explains why so many of them feel so ill-fitting to me: of course every language is naturally intertwined with its culture; breaking that link has a significant cost.

1 Like

It sounds worse than it is.

• Google “tampermonkey” (I’m using Chrome)
  • install it
  • Visit the script forum here on wanikani
  • install the scripts you like from there (they link you to the script page, which has install buttons)

Here, this might help :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree with you. If it’s a specifically American thing, then why is it in the Oxford Dictionary?

Thanks

Before I try - will it work on my iPhone?

I seem to recall that in the UK we used to take the piss out of the Germans for being overly fond of the Mullet so don’t think it is US specific.

I wasn’t aware of the Vokuhila abbreviation - one to remember.

No. Unfortunately, there’s no way to add scripts to your browser on iPhone. However, there’s been some good reviews of an app for iOS which seems to have the most important scripts:

I’m not a iOS user myself (so I never tried it), but it looks very good and has 5* ^^

1 Like

I love the mullet! It is beyond ridiculous, which makes it so much more memorable for me. I actually chuckle every time I see the mullet.

2 Likes

Dictionaries are guides for usages, not determiners of usages per local (ie American vs British)…also, as per the online Oxford dictionary, it also show that the usage of mullet in regards to a hair style, originated in (made popular/common) the 1990’s…probably with the Joe Dirt movie as mentioned.

Up to that point, the normal usage for the word had nothing to do with hair…rather a fishy.

I do know what a hick is, but I didn’t want to think about them (plus i think the term is borderline offensive?)
so I renamed that radical “Streetlight” because I thought it looked like one. It’s working so far.

Dictionaries (especially Oxford) always note if a word is used in a certain variety of a language, for example under “boot” you’ll find

British An enclosed space at the back of a car for carrying luggage or other goods.
North American term trunk

If your dictionary doesn’t do that, then it’s junk.

What does your dictionary say about the slang use of the word?

EDIT

Funny note, my wife’s paperback Oxford dictionary from 2010 does not even have the word…lol…

2 Likes

Yup, otherwise with someone like me with 75 accuracy you keep forgetting guru items and they drop back down to apprentice lol
Exciting stuff :sweat_smile:

Me too. And I’m not a native english speaker.

Ok so maybe nobody is curious but me any more but here’s what the workload chart looks like corrected for short levels. Pretty much the same.

A little different if I don’t average over weeks, but if you squint it’s the same thing:

Now the what if:
What if instead of waiting until Guru to unlock the next thing, you only had to wait until the previous thing was, let’s say, Apprentice 4?

Much faster to all-burned, but much higher workload (almost double)

At level 3 “you are here” goes on the front slope about 12, 13-ish high on the first chart.

Edited in so as not to prolong the thread derail:
Here’s another interesting thing - the spikes in the first graph aren’t real. They’re artifacts of the averaging period not lining up exactly with the lesson rate. Since the time from zero to guru is a little over 3 days, if I average every 3 days (I have to pick a whole number) it gets a lot smoother. If I could pick the exact length to average over, I bet it would be perfectly smooth. And look at that, peak is 9 x the lesson rate (or 8 x the lesson rate for reviews, plus still lessons), just like I thought it would be.

I’m done now, I promise. Curiosity satisfied. :smile:

8 Likes

Great work…thanks for the effort!

Note that the super jagged un-averaged one predicts some very low days and some killers, 300-400 reviews high if you estimate a half-level being about 50 items. Checks with experience so far.