少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

SIR
THIS IS NOT HOW BOOK CLUBS WORK

23 Likes

I’M NOT READING IT OKAY. D: :joy:

Just extracting vocab. At this time of the day, I’m more zombie than I am human.

6 Likes

I started reading the free preview on ebookjapan and it was interesting enough that I read several chapters. 2nd that it is very easy (even without furigana). I didn’t have to look up much and I was finding that even if I didn’t look up the ones I didn’t know, the context filled it in good enough anyway. I wouldn’t really say it’s a +1 project for me, maybe +0.5? Shirokuma Cafe seemed a bit harder in that respect. And the subject matter was, eh. Not my cup of tea I guess, not bad. Kind of looking for something with a higher text/picture ratio.

1 Like

It did have a very low difficulty score (even without the furigana) for a reason!

1 Like

All these comments about it being super easy is making me feel better about strongarming a total newbie at work into following the book club :rofl:

14 Likes

Just found it in a Book Off Store!! Looked pretty nice though, but only bought the first one. The story seemed quite non-varying in the successive episodes… ^^

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Great day… 私はすごく元気です!

500th guru turtle (yeah script or I wouldn’t have known), WK stickers and then my CD Japan :shinto_shrine: order for the book club came today :books:: Now I just need the giant order that’s building at Tenso to wrap up so I’ll have the manga for the next set, and all the other fun stuff I ordered…amazon jp + tenso is not great for the pocketbook… :money_with_wings:

Oh yeah and Happy Lunar New Year everyone! :boar:

13 Likes

I also got my book yesterday. Since this is the first time I’ve participated in a book club, I’m super excited and March feels so far away.

Also I got Yuru Camp and have been trying to read it. I gotta say, so far even though I can’t read all of the kanji, it feels like a nice break from the informality of Yotsuba to.

4 Likes

HELLO FRIEND

My experience so far has definitely been that more standard language trumps considerations of text density and perceived ‘difficulty’ of words. Especially if my vocabulary knowledge is trash and I have to look up every other word anyway, it really doesn’t make a difference to me how ‘advanced’ the words are.

7 Likes

I should go hunt down Yuru Camp in Japanese, perhaps.

I pondered buying it when I was in Japan last, but I was already holding a double-handful of books, so I had to call it. Though, one of that double handful was a volume of Manga Time Kirara Forward, which happened to contain Yuru Camp chapter 36…

3 Likes

You’re lucky!

When I was in Nagoya it was just after they finished with the Yuru Camp store at Animate, so I got suckered in by the character goods and ended up buying the first 6 volumes! (Please disregard the Polkadot Stingray merch on the left)

Anyway, where do I sign up?

3 Likes

That band is great! And the merch! :eyes:

1 Like

Disregard book clubs; read all the things.

5 Likes

From what I’ve seen of Girls’ Last Tour, Laid-Back Camp definitely seems more complex language-wise. I’m only two chapters in but I’m enjoying it :blush: have you read it in English, or just seen the anime?

1 Like

I’m trying!

But I think I might have accidentally built up a massive backlog, helped at least in part by Bookoff.

(I think in the bottom pic, my Bookoff spoils are around maybe 1.5 to 2 shelves worth? Everything is stacked two deep though)

And that’s not including the visual novels I want to try and get through. HELP!

12 Likes

Wow, you didn’t even remove the price tag on those :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s real bad. I don’t have the room to unpack them from their set wrapping and shelve them normally!

T_T

I might have gotten a little overenthusiastic. But the books were soooooooo cheap!!

3 Likes

積ん読!

11 Likes

Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity … we cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access reassurance.

Words to live by.

9 Likes