少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

My ancient Kindle DX is still going fine, but since yesterday it hasn’t wanted to download books. I’m hoping this is just a temporary thing…

I got around that issue for now by downloading them to the desktop and transferring them over USB, but I’d rather prefer not to have to resort to that.

Well, my kindle was super ancient. I think I bought it in 2007 or 2008. It’s one of the grey ones with the physical buttons to turn the pages. Old stuff.

2 Likes

That probably means my work has blocked it out. We’re all about security at work so you know–crazy spreadsheets with Japanese are probably out! I will look at it from my phone or home computer then.

2 Likes

Oh, that was my favorite Kindle ever!

2 Likes

I was curious to test my kindle with reading manga, so I got this on the fly and gave it a read. Reading this on a kindle was a breeze. I read the first two chapters in about 15 mins? I’m not sure how hard are the following chapters going to be though :expressionless:anyhow, seems an interesting manga! :smiley:

9 Likes

Slow down! :joy:

5 Likes

8 Likes

I’m curious, since I kind of had trouble with the small screen size when I tried to read manga on mine. Granted I was also trying to read some pretty small furigana. Did you find the text hard to make out at all, or did you zoom in and read it somehow?

Mmmh, 少女終末旅行 doesn’t have (almost) any furigana, so there is no too small font here :stuck_out_tongue: I think there was an instance where a word was written in kanji and had a furigana in katakana spelling a word in english that I didn’t bother reading. Other than that, I didn’t have any problem reading the balloons.

Now that you make me think about it, I will have probably your same problem with some manga on the kindle :confused: (I read aria and nonobyori with a magnifying glass where my poor eyesight couldn’t do). Obviously you can zoom with a kindle, but it depends what resolution the pages are, if it’s too low it will get just blurry.

An alternative might be the use of an ipad/tablet. You’d be still bottle necked on the file resolution, but the experience would certainly more fluid.

I’ll try to take a couple of pictures tomorrow to try to give you an idea (it’s 3am here now… I need to zzzzz).

Oh yeah, I think maybe Aria was one of the ones I tried to read that I had trouble with on the Kindle. I did try zooming in and it helped a little, but if I remember correctly, I found navigating the book while also using zoom to be a little clunky with regards to reading flow.

I suspect you might be right, and whether I’ll have a good experience or not will probably depend on which manga it is. Maybe I’ll just stick with hardcopy manga and think about electronic versions of other books in the meantime.

2 Likes

Yes, that furigana was really hard to read! I am reading it on an iPad so it usually has a good size, but the smaller of the katakana were not legible - and when I zoomed in, it got too blurred :joy:

Actually I reverse-engineered the katakana reading because I figured out the meaning of the kanji word :wink: Why do they even do that…

1 Like

Also, Aria is beautiful and can only be properly experienced with a physical book.

3 Likes

What page?

Page 27. The kanji word is 固形食料 which literally means solid food and the reading they give for it is レーション which actually sounds sooo lame…

Using レーション carries a different connotation though right?

2 Likes

Kinda makes sense to me, but why ever use the word ration when you could use the hilarious word ミリめし? :wink:

As much as I do agree, the space left in my poor flat, doesn’t T__T

I dream of the day I’ll finally buy a house and I’ll be able to put some shelves on the walls to store all my clatter…

@SoraR

Using レーション carries a different connotation though right?

Maybe? I wonder if 固形食料 is actually a military term?

Also, we are talking about stuff we shouldn’t ftm :stuck_out_tongue: Let’s keep these questions for when we’ll officially start >.<

3 Likes

Hmm maybe theyre doing the thing like Aria where the Kanji is Earth but the furigana is the term theyre actually using in the manga. So its 固形食料 in terms of what it is and what the characters are saying is レーション. Efficient to be able to have the term and the description all in one.

Imo predicussion is beneficial since more people can answer if the question comes up during the weekly threads. (Unless theyre spoilers)

1 Like

What I wonder is if 固形食料 is an actual military term and レーション is used to be cool/make it understandable by a younger audience in case that’s an obscure term? There is always the chance I’m just overthinking it :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely I believe that in Aria it was only to win “cool points” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you google 固形食料, you get articles about rations, but none of them actually call them 固形食料.
:woman_shrugging:

1 Like