少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Mine is arriving between the 7th and the 25th of Feb, so hopefully I can see how screwed I am before we start. :smiley:

I got a text from DHL that they are delivering on the 28th of January!!! Super fast!! :partying_face:

1 Like

Shipped today! :tada:

2 Likes

I’ve started to add vocab for the first few pages. (Already loving the manga, thanks to everybody who voted for it :wink: )

I had a hard time imagining what people might know already and what they don’t, and so I ended up adding almost all words to the list :flushed:
Not sure if I can keep this up throughout because it’s rather time consuming (but also fun, so I will continue with it for a bit). It would be great if @gqad (and others who are interested in using the vocab list) could take a look and tell me how much of those words they already know, so I can then maybe adjust my level of detail.
Oh, and of course there will be errors in the list. I’ve added question marks in the Notes column where I was not sure about a word, but there are probably other misparses as well.

3 Likes

Haha, definitely know that pain! So much second-guessing yourself… It really does take a surprising amount of time if you’re doing the bulk rather than just adding the odd extra word.

Good to know you’re enjoying it so far :blush: March seems so far away D:

1 Like

I feel like you could remove quite a number of words from the list,
Stuff like 目, 日, 出口, 見る and so on
But the ones to decide that should probably be the people planning to rely on it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My reaction: “Are there actually that many words on page 5?” :eyes:

2 Likes

I added them to the list because I think that it is much harder for an early beginner to look up an unknown kanji than it is to look up an unknown hiragana word… Therefore I decided to leave out some of the small words (そんな、あの、よ、etc) and added the kanji words instead. But I agree in that I might have overdone it a bit :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe avoid anything roughly level 5 or lower in WaniKani?

7 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, it really is helpful! I personally know approximately 40-50% of the words on the vocab list, but I do have a bit of basic knowledge from uni classes some years ago so other beginners may find they know fewer. I agree with the suggestion to possibly exclude words taught at very low levels. If we come across a word not on the list we can always go back and add it ourselves!

Also, just got my copy in the mail today!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m confused. I’m not sure where to sign up? The linked thread looks like conversations about other books and general book club info.

I did the first two polls (start on time, ebook) but it won’t let me do the third one (slow pace)

thanks for the help.

I found my old kindle so I am using that. Yay for me procrastinating to take it to the e-recycle station!

PS- I will probably request access to the vocab two times–once for my work login (done) and once for at home (later) (we can’t login to personal google at work) Just in case you are monitoring who requests.

You just did. :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s no official registration - when we start reading the book, the host will make a thread for each chapter, and you just post in that thread.

5 Likes

O: I voted in the polls at the top, but I don’t think I posted yet

1 Like

Welp, you’re out of the club. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Good suggestion, I will try that.

Thanks, that is very helpful to know. So I will go a bit lighter on the early WK vocab from now on.

2 Likes

I closed that poll because enough people already voted for the slow pace so I went with that.

The spreadsheet is public. You don’t need to request access at all.

3 Likes

I wasn’t really lucky with my old kindle. When I fished it out of the drawer and tried to connect to the wifi it turned out it didn’t support the latest type of encryptions :confused: sad time.

I was lucky to snipe a good deal on ebay, and oh boy! it’s a thing of beauty! so easy to lookup the vocabulary! now I need to buy a new cover with a different colour to not mix it up with my regular one >_>

4 Likes

Found a copy is Tsutaya so I am in. Looking forward to starting but I guess I’ll finish the Managua about girls eating dinner in Sapporo first.

1 Like