少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

I bought all of 放浪息子 which is 15 volumes. But at least it’s done so I know that’s it.

1 Like

I know the feeling.

I first though… hm, might skip the manga and just do the book…
Oh…well… I can afford it… =P bought full set instead

Money sure affected my thought of it all :rofl:
But it does look cute though, so think I just might like it!

2 Likes

And I’ll read that one with you because hey who needs emotional stability

1 Like

Woah. I just could not be bothered with that :joy: though I suppose technically we’re reading 14 volumes of Aria… psychologically seven just seems much more manageable :thinking:

1 Like

Manga volumes just really aren’t that long when you get used to them, though. They can feel disappointingly short, actually. I actually happen to love the medium of comics, but have the same (but worse) problem in English where I’ll be all excited to read this big giant ol’ volume and then an hour later it’s over.

2 Likes

But that’s exactly it! And just imagine how much space it would take up on my bookshelf which is really not optimised to be space-efficient for these tiny Japanese books :scream:

I used to be very into webcomics and so briefly considered trying out some Real Comics, but it just didn’t feel worth it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I know. I’m making an exception to my general rule because I really wanted to read it.

I plan to read 放浪息子 at a much faster pace than Aria. Though how quickly depends a lot on how much of my time is taken up by other books.

1 Like

In English, I tend to only buy big-ass volumes like this for that reason.

1 Like

That’s one I’ve considered reading!

The first two/three ‘complete series’ volumes are totally worth reading. Like anything that’s connected to DC or Marvel, it eventually goes off the rails, but I really enjoyed it for awhile!

Noted, thank you! :grin:

I didn’t realize that either! Placed my order on the 21st and it showed up today. Much better then having to wait 4-6 weeks.

Nice!

I was going to buy it New York this weekend, but ADBJG was already $41, and not sure if the Manga was available, but probably it would be another $10-12. + taxes.

In the end, it costed me ¥ 4,686 with sipping, which should be less than $43. So basically I got the Manga for free

Ooh, that’s not bad. And that dictionary is sooo nice. It’s probably my favorite resource for looking up grammar stuff.

Darn this thread…plenty of time to get the manga and ended up spending more money than I planned on CDJapan :slight_smile: I do love their site and everything always arrives so neatly packed!

I ordered all 6 volumes…hope I like the story :thinking: Let’s see if this lame beginner can keep up with reading…hopefully this motivates (and maybe forces me to read every day)

8 Likes

I got an email this morning telling me that there was something wrong with my payment!!

I submitted again and I saw the charge in my credit card, so I think I’m good now.
It also says I should get it between the 28th and the 31st

1 Like

I went ahead and ordered it! It doesn’t seem too bad at all. Hopefully my copy arrives in time!

Hopefully the lack of furigana will get me actually reading it, and not sounding it out. When I read things now, so often I’ll finish a page and then be like… wait, I don’t know what any of this actually said!!

4 Likes

Any news on your experiment? I’ve read the first chapter today (minus the kanji I didn’t know because I was too lazy to look them up yet) and so I could start adding some stuff to the spreadsheet if your experiment does not work out.

Also, I’m reading the bookwalker ebook and the pages don’t have page numbers printed on them?!? The (printed) index says chapter 1 starts on page 3 - is this consistent with the page numbers given in the printed book (if anybody has that already)? Then I know how to calculate the real page numbers (the bookwalker app labels it as page 5, I guess that’s because they count the cover as well). Or should I add a separate column for the bookwalker ebook to the spreadsheet?

2 Likes

It does start on page 3. The printed version has page numbers on almost every page, so it’s weird that the ebook doesn’t.

1 Like

If you’re willing to, you can start doing it then please. I haven’t done it yet because there was not much of a hurry (I guessed) and I still don’t have the manga with me. But I’ll try it tomorrow with another manga volume. If it works with any other manga vol, it will (hopefully) work with ours as well :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes