少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Hmm, I usually prioritise reading the BBC pick first, on Saturday if I’m able. I’m also cough reading along with the Aria book club I may be quite far behind there so that’s my second priority.

I just try to get those done as early in the week as I can (both run from Saturday to Saturday) and then read other stuff if I have time. Which I never do at the moment :wink:

I prioritise those so that I can join in the discussion, as you say (it’s very motivational wanting to read the spoilered comments :grin:), but also because I really don’t want to fall behind.

6 Likes

I usually prioritize book club reading so I can read the comments and discuss. But it also depends on my mood. Occasionally I get behind because I just felt like reading something else.

It’ll probably only take me 15-20 minutes to read a chapter of 少女終末旅行, so I’m not too worried in this case.

8 Likes

Oh, I just remember about this, have you made one? Sorry, if I’m annoying, you just said that you might forget, so here I am :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What time zone is the start date referring to?

Yes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d add one word :grin:

If you’re not at that level yet, check out the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

I believe @seanblue is in one of the USA timezones, at least, that’s my impression from when the threads would get created for the last book. (I’m in California)

Oh hi @Kazzeon, how are you doing?

5 Likes

Each week starts on Saturday, so I create the threads my Friday night (EST) so that they are available Saturday morning for Japan/Australia time. (I’m still at work right now. :stuck_out_tongue:)

Good idea. :+1:

6 Likes

Oh, okay, thanks! I’m going to bed now so I thought I’d say before that:D

6 Likes

Hey there. :slight_smile: I’m good, real busy, so I’ll have to make some time for all the book clubs. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Too late now…it wasn’t updated when I started down this deep dark hole…
…and I’m stubborn and don’t give up that easy!

I’m already underwater…so what’s a few more drops of water … was it ice or tsunamis…wait a minute I live on the west cost close to the ocean…umm… :ocean:

I thought it was going to be an earthquake that got me, not the crabigator!

6 Likes

First chapter is here!

11 Likes

Hey everyone. I put together a video to read through page 6 and break down the grammar into hopefully a simple explanation. I plan on doing this for the rest of the book as I read through it. If anyone has any comments please let me know, especially ideas to improve the video content. I tried to keep the video short instead of having one long 30 minute video for the whole chapter. I went through this with my Japanese tutor, so hopefully there are no mistakes in the video. Sorry if you find any.

SPOILER alert, don’t click if you don’t want to see page 6 :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/rHMtJPiJwtE

(P.S. I’ve studied Japanese for 10 years and lived there fore 1.5 years, I am lvl 4 WK, because I love WK and I wish it was available 10 years ago. So going through partly for fun, also there are still a bunch of words WK teaches that I don’t know, because Japanese is むり.)

5 Likes

It’s 経った not たった(ただ), as discussed in the week one thread. No sarcasm involved.

Edit: well, I thought it was mentioned in the week one thread, but I’m trying to link it and now I can’t find it being explained. I think we got all distracted talking about すら.
Anyway week one discussion is here

4 Likes

I feel like the video layout did improve, also putting in the boxes little by little makes it easier to follow.
Little bit of critique:
To add onto what QuackingShoe said, you said yourself in the video that the translation doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for that sentence, so maybe that’s the point where you should try and actually check the translation again, with or without the help of a native speaker. (Also I‘m not sure if there actually was consensus on すら in the Week 1 thread, but it might just be a dialect of かしら, which would make more sense to me).
Also I think you wrote すっと instead of ずっと a few times which isn’t the same thing, but that’s a minor point.
I do feel like you improved on the „rambling“ part (except that I probably wouldn’t spend so much time on explaining まあ, just giving a fitting explanation for the context would be enough I feel).
But good job on improving some of the points from the Shirokuma video. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Chapter 2 is here! :tada:

4 Likes

ありがとう! So lots has happened between this week and last…almost to level 8…soon! Also have been learning more grammar.

Still have a lot of the new grammar to put into practice, but it’s been really helpful. I just reread chapter 1 with all my notes and don’t really have any more hard questions (I think). The crabigator has granted many new Kanji that are very useful this week. Along with new grammar, this read through was a lot more pleasurable and made me laugh a little. I may be really annoyed in a couple of hours from now, but I’m looking forward to the next chapter :wink:

4 Likes

Out of idle curiosity, has anyone else been reading this in English?

Has anyone finished this in English?

I haven’t finished it yet, but I’m on volume 4. In Japanese though. It’s still within what was covered in the anime so I haven’t yet read anything new.

I finished it in English some months ago.

Oh, good. I think… I think I need someone to hold me…

1 Like