少女終末旅行: Chapter 2 Discussion

Don’t have the manga with me right now, but you’re talking about the picture right at the end, a bit like an omake? If so, I’m pretty sure it’s 動いて…the te Form. I rember being confused by that bc it’s pretty difficult to read imo. :eyes:

Does that clear up your confusion? I read it the same as you, all that unnecessary moving around made me hungry.

5 Likes

Oof. Didn’t even notice that @shuly had written にて. My bad.

Yeah, can confirm, it’s 動いて.

2 Likes

Only caught that because it took me so long to decipher it. :joy: The い is literally just two straight lines. :tired_face:

I re-read the chapter today and it was much easier than the first time! \o/ For some reason it felt like the whole chapter was filled with terminology, when it was just a few frames:D :eyes:

3 Likes

THANKS! I gave up on the last page because I couldn’t decipher the first kanji :sweat_smile:

I too read it again last night and I had the same impression… I swear the first time I read it there was much more weapon related stuff :rofl:

6 Likes

Right?:DDD The only word that was repeated was 武器 and I knew that already (not the kanji though), but it still felt like such a difficult chapter:D

1 Like

It feels very strange to memorize vocabulary visually without knowing the constituent kanji, but I’m just going to assume that this will make learning those kanji a little easier in the future I guess. I’m very happy to being able to read this though.

3 Likes

Glad it helped… I always feel stupid as a beginner asking questions like this… And if at least one other person had the question but didn’t ask I feel a bit better about it.

Thanks! Clearly I was way too tired and should have gone to sleep… But I was so close to finishing… I kept looking at it and couldn’t figure out the “ni-te” form for the life of me… Makes a lot more sense. Sometimes I’m an idiot…(probably most of the time)

I still often struggle to get from the literal translation to the English equivalent that doesn’t sound strange or isn’t quite correct. This book so far has taught me quite a about where my weak points are hmm… That’s was a new kanji recently… (弱点) yeah I remembered the reading… That will help a little down the road I’m sure… Sorry… That was a shiny kanji object… Squirrel!

Where was I… Oh yes I feel like I looked behind a curtain and saw the whole mountain… Whoops… Ignore the mountain of Japanese just waiting to crush me… Muhahaha :mount_fuji:

There’s so much grammar that I need to be able to fully understanding the meaning subtlety (feeling correct)…clearly I take all the English grammar for granted (that I don’t really remember from elementary school but use and regularly butcher it) But it’s alright… There are awesome people here who promptly answer my questions no matter how silly they are or how tired I am.

Two chapter’s down kicking and screaming… Less kicking and screaming this chapter tho… Only a few left… Didn’t someone on here say when we finished this book we would be fully fluently in all things 日本語 :sunglasses:

1 Like

You really shouldn’t worry about it. Deciphering handwriting is a skill that comes automatically in time, but it’s certainly not automatic to stary with. You can see @Belthazar and I even deciphering some intentionally broken hiragana above, but that’s not something we learned to do overnight. Relax.

I mean, just don’t. You don’t need to translate any of it into English. Everyone does to begin with, but eventually you start understanding without translating, and actually find that restating the Japanese in English is actually really hard. That’s fine, it kind of should be. You can learn how to translate quickly and accurately as a serapate skill, but it’s not part of comprehension… you know? So for practical purposes, you only really need to restate something in English to confirm your understanding with other people.

6 Likes

I’ve been trying to do it so I make sure that the other people that understand it are me, myself and I (hehehe へへへ)…

Basically I just want to make sure I am correct in understanding what I’m reading…

I know I have to think in Japanese and that takes time… Also need to do more of this stuff so I can build confidence in knowing my understanding of the material (whatever it is) is correct.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Ugh, the struggle here is so real… And then it’s different with every author/series (obviously), so it’s like you’re learning to read the handwritten text from scratch each time you start something new.

4 Likes

Eventually there’s enough commonality that it gets easier in general. Also! Your brain’s predictive algorithms help! If you already know what you’re expecting it to say, that squashed little smear doesn’t matter so much!

@shuly ‘s question was actually a fair example of this, since with enough experience you’d just kinda know it was 動いて even if it was written 動〇〇余計はらへった

3 Likes

Wait till you guys get to the 後書き… Yeah, I kinda gave up haha

1 Like

This chapter was really good! And the vocab sheet is a lifesaver, as always. :stuck_out_tongue:
I can read the chapter pretty quickly if I only have to glance at the spreadsheet to look for the words I don’t know instead of having to figure out their reading or write them down. :smiley:

I think this chapter did a pretty good job of expanding on their surroundings, and the history behind all that. Good camaraderie between them, too. I would also do something like that if I had a gun and someone else had food. :joy:

6 Likes

Scary… :eyes:

8 Likes

Packed as much as can be packed. 積める can pack だけ extent 積んで pack
Basically, to the extent that it could be piled in there, it is.

I’m having trouble understanding the exchange here:

Y: いっぱいあるね
C: うん 積めるだけ積んで…
Y: あれ ちーちゃん これは?
C: … なんだろ

If Chito’s line is like “It’s packed in as much as could be”, it seems like a bit of a non-sequitur.

Are Chito’s lines a single sentence, or is なんだろ in response to Yuuri?

I’m not sure what you mean about a non-sequitur.
Yuu says there’s a lot of explosives. Chi says “yeah, they crammed in as much as possible” or, on reflection, she could be starting to say “let’s load up as much as we can” - I’m actually not sure from her half-finished thought, but I’m actually thinking the latter makes more sense now in context - either of which is a direct response to what Yuu said.

Yuu says “what’s that?” and Chi basically responds “I wonder” or “dunno”

I think it’s this. Makes more sense from the context.

1 Like

Ah, my mistake, I assumed いっぱい meant “one [of these things]” and so talking about having a lot of things right afterwards didn’t make sense :sweat_smile:. But of course, that’s not what it means. Thanks!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks again everyone! With the help of the amazing vocab sheet and this wonderful thread I was able to read chapter 2 this morning! Thank you all for all the great questions and answers and brilliant discussion.

And I’ve just found the anime on animelon, but will hold off watching it until I’ve read a bit more! Thanks again everyone, you are all stars!

8 Likes