少女終末旅行: Chapter 2 Discussion

My mom is the same way, I tried recommending her manga and she can’t read them, she prefers book:3 But her reading speed is very high too, so maybe that’s part of the reason why.

1 Like

Incidentally.

This is less true now than it used to be, but one of the things I have loved about comics for a long time was being able to progress at more-or-less exactly my pace.

In film, the speed is set for you. You experience the film at exactly the speed the director and editor want you to - especially in a theater where you can’t pause. Thid used to be agonizing for me.

Books, you can sort of read at your own pace. But there’s a limit, and books are long. In the end, I still feel forced to experience it at the rate the author wants, because they use more words to pad things out.

Games used to go more at my pace. Then voice acting happened. Now they’re often more like films.

But comics! Glorious comics. You can read a volume in 15 minutes or two hours. You can blaze through the text or linger on every detailed panel. Aaa. My pace.

…anyway.

11 Likes

Whenever I watch anything I really like to go back and rewatch bits all the time, so I get what you mean :joy:

Even if you can do it with other media, it seems to be a more natural thing in comics.

3 Likes

That’s also true. I will never go back and open up a movie or show to watch one scene, and re-reading just one part of a book (after somehow finding it!?) just seems bizzare to me, and seeing a scene in a game again is a huge time investment without strategic saves. But I open up comics and review scenes all the time, because it’s effortless.

4 Likes

Oh, sorry, bad wording! What I meant to say is “all the movement is between the panels where it is invisible to me” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly it’s true either way. It’s just different ways of looking at it, which is why it was funny!

It’s really tricky when you read 放浪息子 and the space between panels can include massive leaps in time and space… right @seanblue ?

You can actually make that kind of thing pretty clear in the same way movies do, with “establishing shots,” but 放浪息子 is rarely that kind. That’s kind of it’s own fun though.

3 Likes

I just did both of those things last week. :laughing:

Yep, especially the random flashbacks!

4 Likes

O shit, that’s really cool…

Lol, I don’t usually use it. I like the challenge of trying to split kanji into its own radicals and search it in jisho (or even write it by hand, only to fail miserably most of the time). It makes me remember them more. But it does take up way more time to do that than to just use Translate.

Hey, that’s what happened to me when I’m reading my favorite manga too! I think I’ve re-read バールルームへようこそ、スキップビート、and ぐらんぶる too many times to remember (and wasted hours of productivity each time D: ).

Some manga does this on purpose to create more confusion and encourage readers to be involved in piecing things together.

6 Likes

Yes, I really enjoy that :wink:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say I enjoy it, but at least I’m getting better at following it!

P.S. Hi @Radish8! :eyes:

4 Likes

Heehee, hello! Hopefully I’ll get a chance to read and comment properly some time this week ^^ but I’m enjoying reading the discussion.

3 Likes

Finally struggled my way to the end of this chapter. My brain hurts… thankfully next chapter looks a bit lighter on the terminology? I can only hope.

2 Likes

But I wanna learn about all the guns!

6 Likes

I’ve been misreading the schedule, I thought the chapter was DUE on the 9th. I already read chapter 3 so i’m way ahead now I guess

3 Likes

That’s what playing Resident Evil is for!

2 Likes

This seriously is and will be such a pleasant read. But despite the lightheartedness - man do I just wanna take these two in, give them a hot meal and a proper bed, and make sure everything will be okay!

Here’s my dirty little secret to reading quickly - skip. When I was reading through Eragon, I was reading through it like a mad thing anyway cuz it was so good. But on the last book, there was soooo many words describing the many fights. And some people may appreciate how precise the descriptions were, but I am not one of those people. So I just skimmed a bit to make sure I wasn’t missing plot-relevant dialogue/details, and then basically skipped whole pages of fighting. I don’t need to know the details of every leaf and blade of grass, as long as I can picture that they’re in a forest clearing or something, you know?

But I totally get what you mean about manga being best for your true pace. Sometimes it almost doesn’t seem worth the $10 price tag for the less than an hour of entertainment it gets me! :joy:

1 Like

i start off wanting to savour each panel but once a manga really gets going, i read it ridiculously fast. i don’t quite feel bad about the cost vs time-it-kept-you-entertained thing. but i do feel slightly apologetic to the mangaka for the monstrous amount of work they’ve put into each panel, and for the fact that i only glanced at it :sob::sob:

but then i read this quote by a publisher:

“Manga and/or comics are popular in digital, although avid manga readers tend to say that a digital rendition of manga content on tablets cannot do justice because, for example, the velocity of flipping the page has got to be very fast and ferocious when it comes to a cliff-hanger moment, and the digital version won’t do that with the current technology.”

in this article:

and thought, whew. others read the same way. :grin:

and then thought that the fact that we read it at that pace is an achievement in itself for the mangaka! that we just get glued, and we’ve got our heart in our mouth, and we just cant wait to know what happens next.

also, its delightful how if you watch an anime and then continue where it leaves off with the manga… much later, its hard to remember if you read or watched some bits!! manga makes for such graphic and impactful reading that you dont even remember it as words and still images much later! in my head it finally is a movie (with the best music and voices since i put them in) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ところで、the last manga i read that just took my breath away was Historie. I’d first zip through it, then I’d take a moment to be astonished, then I’d go back and read a scene and nearly cry over how brilliant it was. even remembering the manga and writing this, どきどきした :face_with_thermometer:

of course all this is about reading manga in english. besides a few yotsuba chapters etc this is the first manga I’m attempting to read in japanese. and now i see why i’d encountered talk (on a manga translation contest faq sort of thing) about what to do if you can’t figure out who is saying what in a manga . when reading translated manga that was never a problem! there were enough clues there to figure it all out! :thinking: that must mean there are so many clues hidden in plain sight in the japanese that i can’t see yet! waaah :sob::sob::sob: … frustrating.

4 Likes

There’s some manga that I’ll still periodically go back to and flip through my favorite panels! The dance scene from near the end of Hanakimi is still one of my favorites. Several of the scenes from Mars as well.

1 Like

page 29 when yu (i think its her, the light haired one) says lets look look around a bit more:
ごはんおちてないかな

she means there might be rice lying around, yes? somehow i thought a different verb would be used to describe ‘lying around’…

and on page 33 when they’re climbing into the plane, yu says:
戦争って殺し合うんでしょ。
is she saying ‘war is when people go about killing each other, no?’ can we infer from this sentence that she or they haven’t witnessed war at all or is she just being rhetorical?

2 Likes

It’s pretty common for “momentary verbs” to be used like that. Like 着る (or 死ぬ and many more), 落ちる only describes an action that is basically over pretty fast (you can’t say “The pen is falling down for 2 hours”, for example). So the ている form is used when something happened a while in the past and is still in this state now. (In English, that can lead to a change in the verb that is used for the resulting state) While in Japanese, you would say 今ドレスを着ている to describe what you’re wearing now, the verb 着る on its own (not in ている form) describes the act of putting something on. So, same verb in Japanese, but wearing/putting on in English.
Another common example is the verb 死ぬ. When you say 死んだ, it implies that it happened not too long ago, while 死んでいる is more the state of currently being dead (implying it was like that for a while).

So it makes perfect sense to use ている for something that has fallen down a while ago (and is now lying around).
(sidenote: ごはん is probably more referring to some meal than literally cooked rice)

6 Likes