少女終末旅行: Chapter 2 Discussion

Ah well ^^'. Didn’t see it like this. That changes my perspective a bit. I wasn’t worried about being late though ^^ Just that I’d like to keep up with reading one chapter every saturday x)

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response, sorry wasn’t able to reply earlier. Feeling sick today and ended up resting…

This is clear after your explanation, though I don’t think I’ll be able to parse something like this by myself in the future. ): Just to double check my understanding, もの here refers to レーション right?

Ouch, I feel stupid. I thought 積 is the noun せき. Reading through this while sick isn’t so great.

They’re weapons I guess, not quite military ranks, etc.

That reminded me, I had a terrible headache while seeing those complex kanjis, so I cheated and pulled out Google Translate, used the camera view, and… well… cheated my way out. It’s actually kinda cool.

I still can’t read it even after you mentioned that it’s hiragana. But that kinda explains why the author uses the kanji 固形食料 with furigana reading レーション.

Nice tip! I just started using BunPro, looks like a good shortcut.

Definitely more fun to learn those lol. I wonder if they’ll even appear on WK ever in my remaining 37 levels (knowing 2 of the kanjis didn’t help me understand the full phrase ): ).

2 Likes

Main downside of Google Goggles is its tendency to simply truncate translations that don’t fit into the page space occupied by the original…

If you look hard enough, you can see it. :slightly_smiling_face:

The last two kana on that second image could be なげ, I reckon, but that doesn’t really make much sense in the context. Unless 投げ can mean, like, “airdropped”… or something.

6 Likes

I just finished Chapter 2.
The dialogue on:

page 31

“飛んでたのかな” “昔はね” made me wonder how many years might have passed since the last war and the disappearance of most people. From this talk and the general impression of this scene, I got the feeling that it might have been years at least. I am not sure how long the preserved military food is usually edible. Does anyone know?

1 Like

I think like … forever?

Out of curiosity I googled what the German military says about theirs. In the ‘90s, they said 10 years, but nowadays they only give 3.5 years. But that’s the authorities’ figure. So I believe you’re good to eat them even after 10 or 20 years.

3 Likes

I’m not reading this with you guys, but I started watching the anime recently to practice some listening and I must say:

I love this show, and I’ve only seen two episodes so far. The characters are just so easy to like.

6 Likes

Come read with us! I plan to watch the anime after finishing the manga now I’ve started. After each chapter so far, I’ve enjoyed it so much I want to read the next one! But am holding back to be at the pace of the bookclub.

3 Likes

I honestly would, but I have a problem with manga that I still couldn’t manage to solve :sweat_smile:

I’m not into it

2 Likes

That is what I thought they meant. Sorry if I said that too harshly @shuly!

Ah, bad assumption on my part I guess haha.

I just didn’t want your friends to make you think these kanji/words weren’t useful. Statements like that seem to discourage people from time to time (make them think “why am I learning this”) and I didn’t want that to happen to you or anyone else reading this thread.

2 Likes

I recommend turning off the instant translate and using it to figure out kanji when you don’t know the readings. Makes it quicker to look up unknown kanji (compared to other methods), but then you can still look up the words in jisho or some other normal dictionary.

Maybe this would get you into it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Maybe it would :wink:

1 Like

Nah, they just taste terrible, so they often serve as backup projectiles instead.

3 Likes

I have a super nerd cousin who for some reason hates the comic-book format as well. I don’t get it - I love it. It combines so many good things about so many other mediums!
I mean, I acknowledge that everybody is different. But boy can I not relate! :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t really know why that is, but I think my problem is that it usually takes a lot of work to figure out what’s going on from the text and pictures, onomatopeia and all that.

I have actually read 6 entire volumes of Made in Abyss already, but it was so difficult sometimes to not be lost it’s not even funny. And I know it’s supposed to be a relatively difficult manga anyway, but even looking at the English version I usually had problems figuring out stuff. Also had similar problems with other manga, but every time I try it feels like it’s getting better, so… keep trying, I guess :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I think my cousin has the same problem. I’d hazard a guess that reading graphic novels is just it’s own skill, because they do use their own language using the physical space of the page. Film has it’s own very detailed language too, but I guess everyone is forced to read books and watch movies, so you learn it young. The same isn’t really true for comics I guess?

5 Likes

Onomatopoeia is even worse in books though, in my opinion. Granted, I ignore all the onomatopoeia that’s in the background in manga.

3 Likes

Even so, in books I can at least always read it. In manga, depending on how messed up the katakana is, I just have no idea. But maybe it’s not so important after all, I just worry I’m missing something.

1 Like

I also have a hard time understanding what’s going on in comics (not only manga) in general. Like who’s saying what, and who’s doing what, and what’s happening in general, because there is no movement between the pictures and sometimes it’s hard for me to infer how we got from one picture to the next.
Also, it’s mixing two media on the same page: The text and the images. And once I start reading the text, I’m sometimes so fixated on reading the text that I don’t look at the pictures at all, and sometimes I have to slightly force myself to stop reading and look at the pictures to also get that bit of information, so to speak. (But then again, I’m not too much into movies either, so at least that’s consistent.)

So I was a bit annoyed when this manga was picked in the book club, but I told myself I should give it a try at least. And I don’t know why, but I immediately fell in love with it…

9 Likes

I knew it was very unlikely I would be the only one with that problem (since there are so many people in the world and all that), but I’m still glad to know this. I’m actually not into movies either :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s certainly convincing coming from you, so I might actually try… before or after finishing the anime. Maybe reading the chapters I already watched can help me decide on what to do.

5 Likes

All the movement is between the panels!
I know what you mean, and you’re right, but it’s also funny for you to say, because people who read comics actually say that all the movement is between the panels. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is still probably the definitive explanation of the artform.

1 Like