少女終末旅行: Chapter 2 Discussion

they have a lot more rations now. She was just making a point and being an asshole. If Chi was genuinely scared, she wouldn’t have headbutted her after. I do think it implies a slightly darker side of their situation, too, thoigh, which I also like. I dunno, I really like their characters. I don’t think I’d be nearly as down for this series if it wasn’t for their personalities.

6 Likes

I’ve found this chapter very difficult :frowning: A lot of military vocal and I’m forgetting my grammar and casual speech…

5 Likes

I was never worried. Just look closely at the panel. Her finger is never on the trigger.

7 Likes

good practice is to never ever put your finger on the trigger until you’re about to fire anyway though - even when threatening someone. You could twitch and fire by accident

6 Likes

Reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction…

8 Likes

日本語、てめえ〜、話せるか?

5 Likes

This chapter shows they have an interesting relationship. Having never seen the anime or read the manga in English I am really curious how they got in their situation.

3 Likes

Me too actually. I only watched the first three episodes.
Unfortunately the first three episodes apparently covers the exact same material as volume 1 so I guess I won’t learn anything new : o

2 Likes

Yeah it’s obvious they are in some sort of apocalyptic situation or at least a old war zone in a war torn country. I can see it getting interesting. I am just waiting for the first piece of action to start.

I think this is about the extent of the “action” :wink:

1 Like

Whew this chapter was actually difficult. >< Agreed with all the comments about learning weapon names (which I promptly forgot on the second reading – ended up with a lot of 隅の落書き). The good news is I think I was able to follow the story through. But on closer analysis, I had trouble fully understanding some sentences… ): For example,

Page 26-

たくさんあるのに ほとんどゴミでしょう - I think this means “Although there are a lot (of things), they’re mostly trash right?”

Page 27-

武器じゃなくてもさ 使えるものがあるかもしれない - I’m having a hard time parsing how the first part of this sentence… ): I guess I don’t fully understand what じゃなくても structure is used for (I only learned it as “not giving permission”).

レーションみたいな ものならあるいは - what’s the second part of the sentence mean? How do you parse the grammar?

Page 28-

戦車って美味しいかな - what’s the って used for? Is it something like “speaking of tank, is it tasty?”

Page 29-

武器じゃなくて保存食をたくさん作ってくれらば私たちも楽できたのに - For the first part of the sentence, I understand it to be making statement about “if they made preserved food instead of weapon”, but I’m not sure what’s the grammar pattern (it looks to me to be て that connects two sentences). And about 楽できたのに, I’m not sure why it uses できたのに. ):

Page 32-

武器をとって戦うしかなくなるんだよ - what is the しか in the middle of this sentence?

Page 33-

これがあれば - Does this mean “If we have this, …”?

Page 34-

積めるだけ積んで - I don’t understand this either. ><

Well that’s a lot of parts I don’t understand… Now I wonder if I really get what they are talking about. I’m probably missing a lot of nuances. Thanks in advance for the help, どうもありがとうございます。迷惑をかけてすみませんでした。

Still, I’m happy they got some rations at the end. Though it must be cold fighting and lying on the snow like that… I really like the overall character development on chapter 2. And the fact that it’s becoming more challenging to read through.

じゃねー

9 Likes

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhahahhhhhhhh
small panicked breathing

Page 26

Yes. Weapons specifically. She’s responding to Yuu saying she could grab any of these weapons everywhere.

Page 27

Even if they’re not weapons, there might be something we can use. じゃなくて is “not that (and…)” and the も implies “even if it’s not”

Page 27

もの is the noun meaning “thing,” then なら is a conditional, and then あるいは is like “possibly, maybe.” She’s saying while they’re not gonna find ごはん, they might find something like レーション. なら as a conditional here functions not unlike は… which isn’t too surprising as I believe the origin of は is actually in the conditional ば. Anyway, it’s implies that she would end with ある or 見つけることできる or something. An important aspect of (especially casual, but also more formal) Japanese is that if someone can conclude how a sentence will end on their own, you don’t end it out loud.

Page 28

Basically. って is short for というのは

Page 29

“If they had made a ton of preserved foods instead of weapons, our lives would be easier too…”
楽できたのに is like… “could have done more comfortably” and the のに makes it theoretical (the “could have” part) and implies “but they didn’t.” This is the not-finishing-obvious-sentences thing again.

I talked about page 32 here

Page 33: yes

Page 34

Packed as much as can be packed. 積める can pack だけ extent 積んで pack
Basically, to the extent that it could be piled in there, it is.

You may or may not want to spoil/summary all your questions :wink:

10 Likes

Everyone’s homework for this week: what on earth does the text on the ration pack on page 34 say?
こけいしょく… something. はげ?ちょう?

(If you’d like something to compare it to, the box on the last panel of the previous page says ばくやく.)

2 Likes

こけいしょくりょう, which is how you would read 固形食料, the same kanji Chi uses when saying レーション

6 Likes

Gah, of course it is. I clean forgot about the 料 in 固形食料.

And the lower-left corner?

I would guess チョコ based on context, but I don’t see it at all. It looks like トよガ. The ‘debased’ form of Japanese used in this universe is rough. We’ll get to see a lot more of it.

2 Likes

http://gorillas.link/blog/2016/11/12/post-4366/#i-3
They break A LOT of it down here, but even there that particular part is a mystery :rofl:

Which makes me feel better, because I can read a lot of it, even some of Chito’s diary, but that bit is like whaaat.

4 Likes

I genuinely thought for several seconds Yuu was going to shoot Chi and it was going to take a much darker turn. It would have been sort of fun to see how the rest of the series panned out after that haha.

Agree with all of this too! I had to look up a lot more vocab than I did in the previous chapter.

3 Likes

I was actually already familiar with basically all of the “military vocab,” I guess because I’ve played Japanese games with guns in them :rofl:
So it’s funny to see so many people say this. I’m actually not even sure which of all these words are particularly military-y

3 Likes

Just read it! Good stuff! 爆撃機 was the only word I had trouble looking up because I forgot the reading of 爆 (or rather, I just failed to recognize the kanji).

サマリー

“This is war!”

“No, this is Sparta!”

16 Likes