少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 10: 寺院

Start Date: May 18nd
Previous Chapter: Chapter 9
Next Chapter: Chapter 11

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

Ohhh, thanks for the thread \o/ I think I will read tomorrow or even on Monday, I have too many reviews today:DD and being too lazy :eyes:

2 Likes

Meow~ was a fun chapter ^.^

I have a couple things that I found confusing:

Page 38

After Chii warns Yuu that she might receive divine punishment for not taking the stone statues seriously, she says:

でも来るときに石像倒してきたよね

From context I feel she implies she could just knock down the statues if the divine punishment came, but since 倒してきた is in the past tense, it doesn’t seem to be the case… Am I missing something?

Page 42

Yuu proposes the theory that Chi could be a god by saying:

もしかして ちーちゃんが神様なのでは…?

I am not sure what では would mean in this case. It feels like another of those casual speech abbreviations, but not sure an abbreviation of what. Maybe ではないか?… not completely sure that fits…

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Good chapter :grinning: I kinda rushed through the first book to catch up to the current chapter, so I wasn’t being as thorough going through it, so it was kinda nice to go over the stuff I didn’t understand a bit more.

It does make me wish I had put a bit more work into studying vocabulary and grammar because while I can read most of what I see, I’m still making a lot of guesses while I read…

1 Like

For でも来るときに石像倒してきたよね, she’s saying that “but when we were on the way here, you knocked down one of the statues” referencing the collision with the statue earlier.

For もしかして ちーちゃんが神様なのでは…?, I don’t know whether there really is a grammatical meaning to the では, it is casual speech as you suspected, and I usually consider it as just adding an implication of this is kinda the topic I’m talking or asking/conjecturing (is that a verb?) about.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Somehow I thought 来るとき in that first question was about when the divine punishment came, and not when they on the way there >.< But re-reading it after your explanation, it is very clear now.

1 Like

About では, I think you’re right to think that this either marks a (quasi-)topic, or conjecture. I lean more towards the conjectural interpretation, however it’s ambiguous and ultimately makes no difference, IMHO.

The way I see it, it depends on how we interpret もしかして. It can be either =もしかしたら or =もし(も). They differ in that もしかしたらX is already conditional (has たら) “perhaps it is X”, whereas もし(も)X anticipates a conditional “if perhaps it is X”.

• If we go with もしかしたら, then to me it sounds like a topic “perhaps, about Chî being a god … [could it be?]”.
  • If we go with もしも, then it would be natural to expect a conditional and I would interpret では as that conditional (=なら): “if perhaps Chî is a god …”.
1 Like

Page 28

ユーリ: 神って何? - god + quotation particle + what = “what’s a god?”

チト: 神ってのはさー …なんだろう - this one I need help with!

神って - god + quotation particle
のは - possessive plus topic particle? - or nominalisation?
さー “-ness”???
…なんだろう - and just as she’s explaining, she changes her mind and says “I wonder” / I don’t know"

Any help with のはさー much appreciated! Thank you!

My understanding is that のは is being used as a nominalizer; 神ってのは is like in English saying ‘The thing called “God” is…’.

さー is yet another of those things that cannot be easily translated to English. Bunpro describes it as a “filler”, something you say to fill the silence while you are thinking. (Tae Kim also mentions this usage of さ)

A very rough translation here would be "A ‘God’ is…well… hmmm… " or something like that. Then Chi realizes she doesn’t know how to explain.

2 Likes

Oh, that is wonderful! Thank you so much! It’s clear now!
Thank you @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz! :+1: :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Just a few quick questions, and I’ve finished chapter 10, and what a great chapter it is!

Page 38

• panel 2: まるで水面みたいに - is the まるで (1) completely, or is it (2) just like…?
  • panel 3 and 5: あんなのただの石像… - it is/was just a stone statue… is あんなの a distinct vocab item? What does it mean exactly?

Page 41

• そういう風に思いたくないから
    そういう - そう言う, such; like that; that sort of; very
    風に - wind / behaviour / cold + に
    思いたくない - 思う, to think, in ます-stem, + たくない = negative of たい, want to, ie “do not want to think” - but why isn’t this in past tense? (~たかったない??)
    から - because

“Because [they] don’t/didn’t want to think this way”

What does 風に mean here? And what is “didn’t want to think”?

• 安心したくてき - this looks like a form of たい again, but what is it? They wanted peace of mind, but what is the てき here?

• むしろ私はちーちゃんを見つけたときのほうが安心したけどね
    むしろ - rather; better; instead
    私は - I + は
    ちーちゃん - Chi (name) ie “you”
    を - object particle
    見つけた - found
    とき - when (ie “when I found”)
    のほうが - no idea
    安心した - felt better
    けど - but
    ね - yeah

“But I felt much better when I found you”
But what is that のほうが?

Page 42

• やっぱ違う気がしてきた
    I’m really lost on this one.
    The anime says “now I feel like you’re not”, but the only thing that I can see that approaches that is the 違う. What does the やっぱ mean here? What does the 気 mean here? Any help much appreciated!

Well, I’ve finished chapter 10 and I loved it! Thank you so much to everyone who set up this club and worked so hard at it! Thank you! I have to put this book down for a while now as I have got, just got, to get on and do some pre-reading for the upcoming ABBC book, but for sure I’ll get back to it next year when I have a bit more time! Thank you again!

2 Likes

まるで: I’d say this is ‘just like’. I feel like it has this meaning most of the time I see it together with みたい or another word with comparative function.

あんな is part of the trinity そんな、こんな and means something like ‘that sort of thing’.

風に means ‘way’ as in ‘being a certain way’. そういう風に : like that/that way (that was described before)

思いたくない is not in past tense because it describes the present. ‘I/they/we/whoever doesn’t want to think it’s like that’

てき can be used to make a noun sort of into an adjective. I’m not sure that’s what’s going on since I’m missing context,sorry.

のほうが means something like ‘better than’. A
のほうがB(より) : a is better than b.
より is kind of the opposite and means sth like ‘less than’.

やっぱ is short got やっぱり, ‘as expected’ / ‘after all’. Something expected but a little bit unsure was confirmed. 気 is a feeling of sorts? I’m not sure how to explain, does that help at all? Like, there’s a different feeling to her now.

Sorry the structure is so weird, I’m on the phone and it’s very difficult to tell what I’m doing :smiley:

It’s great isn’t it? When I read it it kept getting better with every chapter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It most certainly does! Thank you so much @Belerith! It is very kind of you to go through all my questions and I really appreciate it! Thank you so much! And yes, this manga is brilliant! Thank you again!

1 Like