嬉 (うれ.しい) is a core kanji and should be added

嬉しい should be added

7 Likes

It’s not a joyo kanji (just a jinmeyo), and it’s right at the bottom end of the 2500 most frequently-used kanji, so there’s not a great deal of benefit to devoting the time to learn it. 80/20 rule and all that.

But hey, you just learnt it anyway, so now you don’t need it in WaniKani. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Isn’t that one of those words that’s usually written in kana? I already knew the word, but didn’t even know it had a kanji.

Eh, it depends on what you read. With what I read, its pretty much always written in kanji.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m hearing it from J-Dramas and my brain thought it was from reading. I watch a lot of those these days :laughing:

I mean overall its a common word. So if you encountered it maybe in some lower level reading material, it would probably be written without the kanji.

But yeah, you’ll hear it a lot in shows too and thats where I initially learned the word as well.

1 Like

Indeed.
When I hear words that I don’t know the kanjis for, I visualize the word written in kana. It’s interesting when I think about it :thinking:

1 Like

Funny enough, I think im the same way. Maybe because I never bother to learn how to recall the kanji, only recognize them.

Anyways, as a counterpoint to @Belthazar, then why should we have kanji like 菅 in the later levels but not 嬉? 嬉しい and 嬉々 are common enough to where I think 嬉 would be more beneficial to learn than some other kanji on here.

3 Likes

What? Who doesn’t need to know how to say “sedge”. Surely you’d say “sedge” more often than “happy”? :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, though, 菅 is about seven hundred places higher up on the frequency list than 嬉. Probably because of all the family names it’s used in.

3 Likes

What source are you using? If we’re reading newspapers, yeah I guess that makes sense, but in terms of novels I would be very surprised.

2 Likes

Yeah, newspapers. Or more specifically, Jisho’s “X of 2500 most used kanji in newspapers” line, because I couldn’t be bothered googling for a different list. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still, 菅原 is the 97th-most-common surname in Japan. 菅野 is 167th. By contrast, 嬉 isn’t used in any of the top five thousand surnames, though 嬉野 is a city in Saga Prefecture.

3 Likes

Im sure, but its used over 11 times in the book im reading and thats normal more or less. Im not gonna ask you to believe me purely off anecdotal evidence, but if you had the kanji lists for novels im sure 嬉 would definitely be on the “you should definitely learn this” list.

7 Likes

If it’s worth anything, I don’t even remember what 菅 is supposed to be and I also see 嬉しい and 嬉々 in kanji all the time reading novels.

1 Like

Hum hello there. I quickly read all the above answers, thanks for your concern.

As some already mentioned, I frequently see this adjective with the kanji so indeed with time I got used to. To develop my topic, I simply think it is a daily used word and as a matter of fact it is more interesting to know the kanji associated with happiness rather than some others than we might see in very specific cases in WaniKani i don’t know let’s say the one of filial piety (I don’t see myself saying it neither reading it somewhere in the newspaper).

Moreover the radicals inside are extremely simple and recognizable, the woman and rejoice (actually drums + mouth but come on we know that), and whose story can be easily set up by anyone lol.

Again I would like to underline that I don’t post this based on any top 2500 kanji seen on books or whatever than some users might take in consideration. I am a simple man : i see a word daily used, i think it is worth and interesting to know the kanji associated.

Cheers

2 Likes

This site has aozora, twitter, wikipedia, and news sources and 嬉 is 1000 spots above 菅 on aozora

http://scriptin.github.io/kanji-frequency/

嬉 is the 266th most common kanji on twitter. wewwie.

7 Likes

I knew them facts wouldn’t disappoint.

1 Like

嬉野 has some lovely onsens and that should be reason enough to make it a WK kanji

2 Likes

That’s because being 嬉しい makes people want to tweet about it!

1 Like

It’s almost like looking at just twitter or just newspapers has some kind of bias. :thinking:

1 Like

Kanjidic ranking is not really useful unless the only thing you read are newspapers from whatever period it ranked.

嬉しい is 506th most frequent word according to the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Japanese.
嬉しい is 824th most frequent word according to the Vocabulary Database for Reading Japanese.
嬉しい is normally written using kanji, not kana.
And it’s kanji is at the bottom end of the 2500 most-frequently used kanji? Very hard to believe.

Let’s look at other frequency rankings of Kanji.
According to Character Database of Modern Japanese for General Learners, which is a balanced ranking, 嬉 is 1145th most common kanji.
According to HouHou’s rating of most used kanji based on 7905 books, 嬉 is 1070th most common kanji.

There are other non-Joyo kanji which are extremely frequent. For example, 喧嘩. It’s 969th most common word according to Vocabulary Database for Reading Japanese for General Learners, and 嘩 is 1515th and 喧 is 1388th most frequent kanji in books.

5 Likes