大反響! A great echo! (?!)

Hello,

I stumbled onto this phrase while reading some old CLAMP manga - it was an ad about the re-impression or re-edition of Cardcaptor Sakura. The phrase is -

全国書店にて大反響発売中!

The bit I have issues with is “大反響”. The sentence itself is pretty understandable - I imagine it simply means that the manga is now on sale throughout the country, I might even translate it as “Now on sale in your favourite bookshop” or the like. But can anyone give some clarity on “大反響”, as it clearly doesn’t mean a literal great echo? Thanks!

反響 can also mean a response or even sensation, as in 大きな反響を呼ぶ (create [cause] a great sensation / meet with a lot of response.), so it probably means the sale is popular.

2 Likes

Just to support what acm said, this site has it translated as a “great response”, so emphasizing that it’s a sensational sale

3 Likes

Thank you both! I’m now putting eow.alc.co.jp in my favourites, too…

I think you’re very much right - every single page that followed the one I posted about had some kind of rather sensational claim about just how much manga CLAMP has sold (although, I mean, I guess they’re not lying) so this was definitely a “Unprecedented sales!!” sort of thing. Thanks once more!

I just learned 反響 a couple hours ago, and it’s used this way in the context sentence provided.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.