[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Yeah, like @seanblue said, I’m reading the novel.

I never read the manga, so can’t really compare :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s how I envisioned it, and that’s the version that makes the most sense to me, but everyone is free to decide for themselves. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just came across the following sentence in my latest book with the following ruby text.

芦ノ湖あしのこ箱根町はこねまちにある水深すいしんやく四三よんじゅうさんメートルのみずうみです。

I’ve not really come across numbers written like 四三メートル before and was wonder if it’s at all common for people to write numbers like this? I would not have guessed that this meant 43 meters without the furigana.

1 Like

Years seems to be written like that. For example, 1983 will be written 一九八三年. I’ve not personally come across it for other numbers, but it’s definitely a thing.

3 Likes

In PSYCHO-PASS, possibly because there’s indication that Japan has become ‘less Japanese’ in the future, all numbers are written like that. 三〇分 etc.
Or
opens page
昨日の食事摂取量は合計二二〇〇キロカロリー。今朝の朝ご飯は二四〇キロカロリー適正です。

I genuinely don’t know if I’m supposed to read it as にひゃくよんじゅう or によんぜろ (or によんまる)

2 Likes

Often in izakayas the price will be written like that, 七〇〇円 for example. Definitely seen that! You just pronounce it as you would 700, its just a fancy way of writing it, I think :smiley:

2 Likes

See, with the zeros, I reckon I’d understand, and it makes sense, and also with years as well it makes sense.

But I don’t know, somehow in the context I thought it was just a weird way of writing that the lake was maybe 3-4 meters deep? Not a very deep lake, but still! Why wouldn’t you just write 四十三 if the ruby text is going to space out the text regardless anyway?!

For 3 to 4 you’d actually write it the same as we do, with the lower number first - but that still leaves potential for confusion with 34, I guess. That’s why there’s furigana maybe? :smiley: it’s spaced out like that because the furigana is so long, too. :smiley:

As for the reason, I don’t know. Reckon it’s usually for stylistic reasons.

Edit: about the 3 to 4 thing, it’s usually written 3、4 or 三、四, I guess, if they’re using the Japanese system

1 Like

I see it pretty often in daily life on pamphlets, menus, fliers, etc. It’s common. :+1:

3 Likes

Not having a blue linky name makes me feel like some kind of leper

4 Likes

If you were @Kumirei, you’d have already made it into a rickroll :thinking:

More seriously, I like bookmeter because I like keeping track of the books I read. Space is really limited at my place, and I can’t keep a much of the stuff I read, so it’s nice to have a virtual bookshelf with everything in it. It’s also nice to see what others are reading, and I hope that the stuff I read can serve as recommendations in turn. (That being said, I didn’t like everything I read… but anyway)

6 Likes

Wh-why didn’t I do that??

6 Likes

because you’re not Kumirei

2 Likes

Oh, so in my number, should I include the books I’ve done with book clubs too? :thinking:

It’s up to you! Your entry is for you. Put what you think is relevant.
In my case, I want to read 12 books total this year (or more). It doesn’t matter how, or how fast. So I count everything. If you have a specific goal for extensive reading, that’s fine too. You decide!

6 Likes

I just assumed we didn’t include them, but it does make more sense to count the total, and not just the ones outside the clubs =)
But the daily goal will be to do more than the clubs (though I have made a separate check box for days I did book club reading only :wink: I will be part of… 4 simultaneous ones I think it is… no, 5 O_o All the book clubs! lol! :rofl: )

2 are spring offs (Yotsuba and Aria) and all the three difficulty levels =P
And several of the upcoming mangas are likely to become spring offs too :wink: (I hope they will! )

4 Likes

Im keeping up with my 10 pages/day pace so far :v: everythings going fine. I think i can finish your name until we start with kino’s journey :smiley:

8 Likes

Oh youre reading your name? I bought it last time and plan on reading it once i finish my current book… how are you finding it?

I think I will join in on this challenge!

I started reading my first LN about a week or two ago, ありふれた職業で世界最強.

It has been a lot of fun, but really slow! So I will try to make my goal around 10 pages a day! Here goes nothing!

6 Likes

I’ve only read 4 pages of my current book 憂鬱たち and in the first page I found so many new words. I kept getting surprised as I was looking them up :rofl:

性器、精液、亀頭、all related to a 遺体…:upside_down_face:

let’s see how this unfolds…

5 Likes