[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Shall I call it 多観?

7 Likes

Yes! I love it! =D
I really should watch more O_o
My Crunchyroll doesn’t get near enough use, I need more listening practice =P

1 Like

I guess I should actually be impressed I got a 42/100 on listening on the J-CAT considering all I do to “practice” listening is watch anime. :joy:

2 Likes

It is a good practice if you watch without subs =^_^=
which I don’t XD

1 Like

Shh! Don’t make me feel guilty!

3 Likes

I started watching some anime without subs recently (right now, season 2 of Kiniro Mosaic and a while back the SAO movie), but I couldn’t possibly 多観 it yet, it’s mentally exhausting :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s catching on! :eyes:

I tried that with Madoka Magica, thinking it would be fine since I’d already seen it once in the English dub and twice in Japanese with subtitles. But it wasn’t fine…

Next I’m going to try to watch a couple movies with Japanese subtitles. And next time I want to watch something without any subtitles, I’m going to try slice of life. Maybe Usagi Drop.

4 Likes

That’s the best thing to start, I think. It took me some 5 hours to watch the SAO movie and I still couldn’t figure out some parts no matter how much I went back and listened to it again. I then had the “great” idea of trying to watch SAO season 3 without subs too and didn’t get very far.

On the other hand, Kiniro Mosaic, slice of life, is fairly easy.

1 Like

I have fond memories of Kiniro Mosaic if only because it was the first time I remember understanding a Japanese pun. :laughing:

2 Likes

People saying how much this thread has helped them. Meanwhile, the creator of said thread isn’t making any progress for the past 2-3 days because life :rofl:

11 Likes

You’ve made progress if you count manga. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But I don’t :confounded:
Manga are for fun, books are for practice

2 Likes

I started getting panicky that I haven’t been doing any listening practice so I decided to watch something without subs.

I found 残念ないきもの事典 which is super cute/funny and I really recommend it. They have little sections where the animals are talking to each other in a, surprisingly, really realistically salarymen-esque conversation. To the point where I can’t really understand them but they remind me so much of my coworkers talking to each other. There’s only 2 episodes on Netflix though. : (

I also started watching のだめカンタービレ the live-action version without subtitles. I can get the jist of what’s happening but for the most part it’s hard to pick up what they’re actually saying to each other, especially when they it’s plot heavy moments and not just casual conversation. Which is where I was at in October when I started watching anime with subs, so hopefully it a few months it’ll be way better.

Idk if watching anime or drama will really help that much for N2 listening but it can’t hurt, right?

4 Likes

I just finished the first fourth of the book. The next day I read I will start on the official Part 2…

I keep finding myself reading 10 pages at a time, I think because I hate leaving a chapter half-finished.

Spoilers for 12 Kingdoms:

As far as I can tell, the anime subplot with the two other students from Youko’s school also falling into the 12 Kingdoms doesn’t exist. Or at least not so far. It’s just been Youko. I’m not that disappointed because I didn’t really like those characters and they died in the end anyway, but I wonder what will happen differently…However, though I didn’t care for their personalities, I really liked the cruel or indifferent aspects of the world and the thematic ideas they highlighted. Hopefully Youko’s fight for succession will be clearer this way, though. If the anime didn’t completely make those characters up, I wonder when they come in?

I thought the narrator of my book was being weirdly distant by referring to a character as a “male of X family” but no…雄一 is actually a proper name. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

My book just pulled the whole “The moon is beautiful” confession albeit in a poke-fun-of-it way:

「ほーら、月がきれいだよ。」
「全くほんとにねえ。」と私は皮肉で言ったが玄関に入る時、名残りの月をちらりと振り返った。

But that lead me to this article that talks about the origins (or presumed origins) and breaks down what the phrase is suppose to mean. I think it’s really hilarious.

Especially when the writer is comparing the phrase “I love you” (It’s so simple, and direct, and easy to understand!) to the roundabout “The moon is beautiful and I’m trying to liken you to the moon because I think you’re beautiful and since I’m saying this I must like you a lot which would translate into love in this context since we’re from a very indirect society and…” (Not exactly what the writer thinks is it but you get the picture, haha.)

4 Likes

The Aria book club is starting up again day after tomorrow, but I am a whole volume behind. So I just read 3/5 chapters today, and will do the last two tomorrow so I can be ready! =D

5 Likes

All the bookclubs are starting up again, huh. Really looking forward to the ones I’ll be taking part in. But also, I wanna finish 時をかける少女 before キノ, how to do that though. :joy:

Time to get busyy

8 Likes

I was on holiday for a few days and didn’t do any reading. I did buy a kid’s book of translated H.C. Andersen stories, and I might alternate cases in the game and stories in the book. I don’t want to burn out too much on material aimed solidly at teenagers, so it might be good to also throw in more basic things as well.

Still excited and still keeping up with it (albeit slowly), despite the seeming lack of progress on my part. XD

2 Likes

Nice! Kids’ books are great for keeping the motivation up and helping realize how much we actually do know already, instead of the vast amount we do not yet! :smiley:

Imo.

:smiley:

1 Like