外れ translated as "extremity" complaint

Usually this word used in following ways:

1. ねらったものに当たらないこと。
  2. 期待どおりにならないこと。
  3. 一定の範囲から外に出ていること。

All those cases means that result of ( mental or physical action ) was outside of expected or targeted sphere of results. How it’s exactly “extremity” ? I do understand that some dictionaries uses as one of possible translations word “extremity” but it’s really rare case. Sounds like this translation itself “外れだった”

I confess I’m not quite seeing the issue. What’s your take on the meaning of “extremity”, exactly? And what would you propose as a better translation?

中心から離れている所。(eg 村の外れ)

Sounds like an extremity to me.

BTW what I posted (from a dictionary) looks quite like your #3, so I’m not sure what the complaint is.

1 Like

I’m dumb and needed to read that better

1 Like

Maybe they’re thinking of the meaning “the degree to which something is extreme”, which is unrelated to the meaning of 外れ.

I’ll just add that the last sentence about 外れだった doesn’t really clear anything up for me. I don’t see why that would be the “right” translation for extremity.

And I was gonna say “they must be just complaining that WK doesn’t have miss or failure as a meaning” but those are both in there.

1 Like

Complaint is about choice of “extremity” as main translation and as the only correct answer for review of this word. I would not complain if all plethora of synonyms have been added as possible answers.

There are a ton of default synonyms.

Well , the proper translation for this word is a quite challenge :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, I’m not native English speaker to found most suitable word which will convey all nuances of word “hazure”, moreover I suspect that such word does not exist :wink:

I just meant that translation of word “外れ” was incorrect - you could use this word in this sense as well :smile:

And by no means I’m はずれのない :grin: - in this context this word has clear single meaning, right ?

I still don’t see how it’s incorrect, but I think the default synonyms (and of course user synonyms) would cover any interpretation possible.

So if I will type “miss” during review of this word, it will accept my answer as correct ?

Yes. You can see the list of meanings on the item page.

It has seven and I haven’t added any of my own.

Hooray ! Sorry to bother you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.