君の膵臓をたべたい (I Want to Eat Your Pancreas) Book Discussion

Yeah, that’s a valid approach. I just know that in my experience it’s usually a more rewarding experience to push through rather than getting hung up on the minutia. That being said, do what is best for you.

If I’m not mistaken, there is no frequency toggle. It’s purely sorted by order of occurence.

FloFlo now has 君の膵臓をたべたい! : )

I’ve updated the main page with links as well. So now everyone has two sources to get their vocabulary from! No excuses! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I MADE IT!!! (finally!)

I’m so slow!! :rofl: Seriously, I’ve barely had any time to read, but I’ve finally made it and I’m so proud and it’s only be second book that I finished in Japanese and I can finally join your ranks. /rant over/

Just...everything

I just read through the thread again (this time with all the spoilery bits) and I really just agree with most that’s been said. Especially the little details you talked about @sloa123.
I actually also agree with @Naphthalene about how it’s quite nice that there’s a relationship that isn’t romantic and just as, if not more important to the people involved. And also while I see the point that it’s a boy learns to live through girl’s death kinda story, I also just think that the learning curve went both ways. I think they both equally benefitted from knowing and spending time with each other. I personally prefer that most relationship’s in the book were platonic and that the focus wasn’t on romance.
I’ve been looking for a book where a girl and a boy can simply be friends (although I suppose there was some sort of … something romantic there somehow.

I also agree with you, @lopicake that they should have just made her be in love with her best friend. Just go there. I don’t think it would have actually changed that much, except for give some readers some satisfaction. And I guess to just make a point.

As for the ending, I loved it. For the reasons stated above about platonic relationships. When Sakura died without getting together with Haruki, I was kinda worried (some part of me secretly hoping while being hated by my love-well-written-and-different-plots-part) that he would get together with Kyouko. I was so happy that it just simply stayed like that (so I guess I did get my book in which a girl and a boy are simply friends, in some way).

Not sure what else to say except that this was a much more satisfying read than Toki wo kakeru shoujo (too lazy to change my keyboard) and I’m already planning to reread it when I’m more advanced to see whether I can catch more nuances. Definitely recommend!

Whew I’m done now. If you read through all of the spoilery bits, well done, it was a bit of a wall :joy:

8 Likes

Is anyone still reading this book? Or planning on starting?

I started and stopped a while ago and now I’ve picked it up again and just started chapter 4. Wanting to read what is behind everyone’s hidden spoiler text is a bit of a motivator.

Thoughts on chapters 1, 2 & 3

I’m really liking the story so far. Sakura’s personality and dark humour is fun to read. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to hide this from everyone and keep the happy face on but I guess I can see that she doesn’t want to be treated as the sick, fragile girl. I think this will have to head to some sort of break down though, where she can’t keep up a facade anymore. Weirdly enough, I’m glad it started with the funeral, or otherwise I’d be always reading and hoping for a miracle cure. At least this way I’m somewhat prepared for her death? I’ll try not to get too attached but I think I might shed a few tears throughout this book

3 Likes

Well, I’ve already read it (way after everyone else had too xD), but I’ll happily chime in where and when I can, so keep reading and commenting your thoughts :wink:

Thoughts on your thoughts on chapter 1, 2 & 3

Sakura is hilarious. I love that girl. But I also agree, she’s incredibly strong. Although maybe that facade is also a protective mechanism for her, helping her deal with what’s happening, more so than helping her hide it.

I also love that it opens with the funeral. It’s so powerful to start with such finality. I can almost guarantee you will shed more than a few tears :wink:

I actually read this book a while ago (probably not that long, but I’ve actually gotten much better at the whole reading thing since, so for me, it is a while, I suppose), so I may not remember much, let alone considering I probably misunderstood a bunch of stuff too.
But definitely keep reading, it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Ok, not planning to read the book, but I watched the anime movie the other night.

First thought about the ending: … what?

Second thought about the ending: This is basically a story about his growth, and the more I think about it, the more I’m sure that Sakura is entirely superfluous to the story. She could be replaced by a dog without changing anything at all. Like, describe the plot of literally any movie in which a small mythical animal teaches the main character how to love again by dying in the process, and you’ve exactly described this movie. So yeah, not a terrible movie - and I confess, tears were shed - but not awesome either.

2 Likes

hmmm :thinking: you saying that now makes me wanna watch the movie, if only to see how close it is to the book. Then again, books have the tendency to be way more hard hitting in terms of emotional reaction for me anyway (likely because I obviously invest more time than in a movie), so maybe I’ll have a similarly bad/meh reaction to it as yours.
Although you are also right, the story is by no means about her anyway, it’s always about him. And I can imagine that a lot of what makes the book so endearing doesn’t really translate well into film. Animation more so, but it would have to be pretty fantastic.

So maybe I will watch the movie and then reply again xD (don’t wait up, it might be a few years, my list is quite long :joy: )

3 Likes

I might watch the live-action movie, and then reply again. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I finally finished the book too, after I said I would read it one year ago. It was just too difficult at the time and I couldn’t enjoy reading it. I’m replying to you, because I literally just finished the book and reading through your thoughts in this thread has helped me organize my thoughts as well. Thank you :slight_smile:

Thoughts on book

Anyway, I 10000% agree with your thoughts, especially on the PoV. Maybe that’s why I didn’t like the book so much, I would’ve liked it way more if it was told from Sakura’s perspective.
I also thought the exact same thing about her friend :joy: the story should’ve been Haruki helping her realize she loves her best friend. The End.

By the way, I guessed she would die of something other than her disease, but I thought it would be a car accident. Since she started writing her will and everything, it was obvious she would die soon (and the book was coming to an end lol).

I hated this about the book too! There were only three characters, basically. I like books with several characters that have been developed well. Here it was just ‘well there was this guy. He had gum. Then there was this ex. He had a knife’.

This is nice and I agree. Especially, as you said, that they both left a big impression on each other and inspired each other to become a better person. That’s very valuable without love as well.

Sakura sometimes said that Haruki should stop reading into everything, life is not a book. Maybe that’s why the author included some seemingly meaningless scenes? (although as @Naphthalene mentioned, the hotel one is to explain why they were in the same room lol I forgot that too)

I REALLY STRUGGLED WITH THIS SCENE TOO I also felt like some things were incredibly unnecessary and out of character. So Sakura basically asks Haruki to do ‘the thing you cannot do’ (the deed I guess lol) as a prank, which is a bit extreme, then Haruki becomes violent (which seems out of character) and he leaves and runs into her ex who is violent and has a knife. The heck.

That’s all. I’m glad I finally finished this book.

7 Likes

Congratulations on finishing!

Reading your thoughts just since a flood of memories again about this book. I agree with a lot of your thoughts (because you agree with mine!). I definitely had mixed feelings with this book. I feel like it could have been so much more but I don’t think it was necessarily bad either.

This makes me want to start another casual book club. I don’t like doing week by weeks but it’s so fun hearing other people’s thoughts on same book.

7 Likes