刀 "Sword" Radical Mnemonic

Just a minor wording suggestion, for the ‘Sword’ radical, the name suggestion is -

If you look at this radical, it looks like the bottom part of a sword - the handle, more specifically.

It took me a few seconds to work out that it meant the grip and a basket-hilt shaped handguard.

Perhaps a change to something like -

If you look at this radical, it looks like the bottom part of a sword - the handle, more specifically, with a curved guard to protect the hand.

Would make the mnemonic slightly more intuitive.

1 Like

I think it should say the Tsuka

To my knowledge, japanese weapons never used a curved handguard. The image the comes to mind when I look at 刀 resembles more the hilt of a cutlass than a katana.

I imagine the guard here is a straight horizontal part (with the right leg being a knuckle guard, and the left one as a handle).

I don’t think that the wording should be changed. You’ve came up with a mental image in the end, so good for you, but there’s no need to impose your personal vision on others.

Personally, I think it looks like the handle of a fencing sword, so the current mnemonic works for me.

… “fencing swordis the right terminology, right?

I was thinking of the tip …?

There’s three kinds of fencing swords; foils, epees, and sabers.

This is what I see too.

Whoops. Then I used the wrong word. x_x

I meant this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/MuseeMarine-sabre-p1000456.jpg

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my stupidity in sword terminology.

Reckon the bottom line here is that if the mnemonic isn’t quite working for you, you should use your own instead.

Here’s how I look at it. 力 is supposed to be a steroid pumped guy flexing his arm–meaning ‘power’. I just imagine someone came along and cut his steroid injected head off with a sword (刀) because he was a short tempered jerk that bullied everyone. That’s why you don’t do steroids folks, lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.