一週間フレンズ | Week 5 Discussion

Week 5 Discussion | Pages 67 - 86

Chapter 1: 友達になってください

Start Date: 7th September
Last Week: Chapter 1 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 2 Part 1

一週間フレンズ Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 1 this week!

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

From page 85: 先生がおせーって怒ってるんだけど. I can’t figure out what おせーって means.

Can you post a picture for context?

Hmm… Was the character late? おせー could be おそい. I think the って is just quotation or other simplification to let you know what the teacher is mad about. That’s the best I can try to help with since I don’t have the book. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. This seems to fit, as the two had run out of the classroom, and perhaps were too slow in coming back.

Read it! And also going to comment here so the thread won’t be as dead as last week :slight_smile:

If numbers can make her remember stuff, I guess she’ll just have to write down a lot of numbers related to stuff(though I’m guessing it won’t be that simple)

2 Likes

I agreed with everyone else that last week’s reading was a lot… Turns out I actually did both last week’s and this week’s reading, so no wonder it felt like A LOT.

To be fair, I had to break it up into several sessions since I was traveling and taking part in a wedding, etc. (when I normally try to sit down and read all at once, so I don’t lose context, etc.) On the other hand, I don’t know how I mistook page 66 for page 86, which must be what happened, heh.

In any case, done really early this week!

3 Likes

I can’t imagine that the elaboration of Fujimiya’s mathematical abilities and the fact that she specifically remembered a number is a coincidence. But, I also wonder if she remembers cooking the eggs because of how stressful the process was for her. It’s a kind of good and bad memory.

3 Likes

These two are so めちゃ可愛い!
I loved how he made his big apology and then she was “righto, let me just put that in my diary” :joy:

6 Likes

I really don’t think my sense of taste is quite so discerning that I can tell the difference betwen eighteen grams of sugar and, like, twenty…

Though, I can tell the difference between various varieties of cola by taste…

Turn everything into goroawase and hope it comes up in maths the next week? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

On the first page of this week’s reading, だったんだ appears a few times:

Screenshot

I always have trouble with this one, for some reason. Seems I should be used to it by now. Maybe this will be the magic time I start to get used to it?

If I understand correctly, だった here is effectively “was”, and んだ is putting it in the form of explanation. Like, “This is how this was [explanation]. And that is how that was [explanation].”

Does that sound right?

1 Like

Yeah. In my dialect of English it’s common to say “It’s that I was…” which is fairly similar to this both in meaning and grammatically.

1 Like

I’m finally catching up!! I will finish that this evening I think :smile: But I have a question /o/

On page 73 I think, there’s this phrase 藤宮さんちの卵焼きってしょうゆ味なんだね which is rather simple, but what is that ち there?
I have no clue besides basic guesses that it’s a cute way to soften さん or maybe it’s 血 orrr maybe it’s 地産 but it doesn’t really make sense, so, I don’t know xD

1 Like

I’m not really sure, buy my best guess is the following:

The word うち (家) is often used to refer to one’s in-group (one’s family, one’s home, and so on). The word can be shortened to just ち:

So my understanding is that the phrase refers to the way 藤宮’s family makes 卵焼き…

7 Likes

Ohhh it’s a good guess! I didn’t know it can be shortened :eyes: Thank you!:3

2 Likes

That’s what it is. You can see it a lot, even in titles for things, like あたしンち and 小林さんちのメイドラゴン

3 Likes

Aye, it gets used in Yotsubato practically every second chapter. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m catching up but apparently I can’t change my vote anymore D:

This manga is cute. Also math.

1 Like

Is @Radish8 setting the polls to automatically close? :thinking: