一台、二台、五台、十台 and ..how many 台’s ?

When things are regular, why give so many numerical words as “vocabulary” ? Both boring and useless. Hope there aren’t so many of those in the six thousand so words we are supposed to know at the end.

2 Likes

台 is the only counter where there are so many numerical vocabs. Later you will usually have only one or two of these.

4 Likes

Guess what: you probably won’t forget it.

17 Likes

btw I would avoid using the words “boring” and “useless”, it may sound aggressive. :blush:
There are many Crabigator worshipers around here who will eat you alive.

20 Likes

I figured it was to give people a little extra practice with numbers early on. I do agree it is weird, though, given that there aren’t any unusual readings involved.

6 Likes

Worst reason ever

2 Likes

BTW 台 also mean stand, table too, and this meaning is quite common. IDK why WK didn’t introduce it though. :thinking:

1 Like

As of level 20 at least, there aren’t all that many more examples of these. Maybe one or two per “counter” suffix. I wouldn’t worry about it being a scheme to inflate the vocab count or anything like that.

2 Likes

Hardly, when the whole essence is to remember things…

6 Likes

We got spys around here :eyes::eyes::eyes:

3 Likes

Where is the heathen that shall be eaten alive :face_with_monocle: ? I got my :fork_and_knife: ready :drooling_face:

5 Likes

It is so you can practice counting our future robotic overlords.

48 Likes

viet coming through with the real truth

3 Likes

I’d say there are so many 台 counter vocabs early on to directly contrast it with counters like つ and 人. You learn つ and 人 first, and both have many exceptions / weird pronunciations for certain numbers or words, whereas 台 is just number + counter for every number. It’s useful to explicitly show that some counters are much more consistent than others.

9 Likes

exactly? They don’t want to teach you 7 of the number counters of tsu or jin (Im too lazy to switch to apanese keyboard) because most of them are exceptions.

At least 一台 is of additional interest because it doesn’t turn into いっだい or something. Good to find out early under which circumstances a change may happen (or not).

1 Like

There’s only one machine, and “He’ll be back” :wink:

3 Likes

But also, isnt the reading for 五台 at least a little funny to you? It says go die! hehe.

I’m a child and I admit it

9 Likes

You have to actually see a bunch of regular examples to confirm that it’s regular…

4 Likes

I think the reason WK didn’t introduce that meaning is the same reason WK don’t introduce all the readings at once. And I support that. But I take your point. There are some vocabs where the meaning of 台 as stand, table (I have heard it also means “flat plain”) would help. For instance 舞台(stage), 台所(kitchen) and even 台風(typhoon. I’m not meteorologist, but I bet the flat plain meaning may explain the kanji combo).