チーズスイートホーム: Week 7 Discussion (Chapters 19-20 [END])

That was quick. Thank you very much! I’ll definitely order physical books next time for better readability.

Well, I was able to finish now. It’s a really cute story and Chi really does a lot of cute faces.
I think I’m gonna try to read more sometime in the future. It really does take awhile having to look up most of the words and then make sense of it all. But I noticed some things stick so that’s some progress, I guess. And that’s what I’m doing it for. :smiley:

On page 162 there’s this sentence: 心配して帰って来たのに気楽なものね
I’m unsure how to understand it…
心配して - worrying
帰って来た - came back
のに - although?
気楽 - carefree, comfortable
なものね - not sure here, な indicates the adjective for もの? so maybe “carefree thing”? もの has so many meanings.
and ね should be “…, right?/don’t you think?” sentence ending?

But I still cant wrap my head around what it could mean as a sentence.

1 Like

I read it as the て form connecting two verbs in sequence for the first part with the のに meaning “although/even though.” You’re right in that the な connects the adjective 気楽 to もの. For this もの, I read it as the “person” meaning (者). So “Even though we got worried and came back, she sure is carefree.” Anyone else have other interpretations?

6 Likes

My interpretation is very similar:

心配して => this is 心配する “to worry” in て-form; it just means this is connected to what comes next: "We got worried and… "
のに - although, even though. “Even though we got worried and came back…”
気楽なものね => もの (sometimes abbreviated もん) can be used to indicate dissatisfaction (bunpro grammar point, and jgram explanation ).

It must be preceded by な when it follows a na-adjective, like in this case. So this means that mother is disappointed because they were so worried and then find Chi sleeping without a care in the world.

Putting all this together in somewhat natural English:

“Even though we got worried and came back, (she)'s just being all carefree”.

5 Likes

Thanks to both of you! So I wasn’t too far off with the interpretation I would have gone with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It feels good to finish a Japanese book for the first time.
After quitting Shirokuma’s thread, I think that Chi’s was easier and more enjoyable for a beginner.
Yes, the story was not really thrilling nor engaging, but it was nice to follow.
I also agree that some parts felt more difficult but thanks to everyone’s explanations, everything went quite well for me.

Thanks @FlamySerpent for running this book club and thanks to everyone who helped !

7 Likes

Well, Chi’s Sweet Home is part of a one day promotion on Bookwalker that got lots of coins back so I ended up getting volume 2. If that thread gets going, I’ll be able to participate~

1 Like

Back in the Week 2 thread, @thislittlefox asked who would join them in reading beyond volume 1, @Abstormal answered with a photo of the whole series and I also went and purchased some of the next volumes.
We could start a dedicated book club (like was done for よつばと!) I guess

1 Like

I would love a spin off! I’m in for sure!
Chi is such a nice read, I can easily do it on top of other group reads.
I’m a very casual reader though, I participate more when talking about the story than the grammar/translation (cause I suck at it XD And parallel read to get the gist myself, so don’t look up as much as others )
But being part of a reading group helps me stay focused and get inspired to get the reading done =)
And I love sharing the experience, it’s much more rewarding than reading alone =^_^=

4 Likes

I fell behind reading this a bit as we got to the end due to life getting busy, but I finally finished today! I really enjoyed reading this book even if I didn’t always understand it and having these discussion threads to look through often helped when I was stuck, so I’m really glad I decided to join in. Thank you so much everyone. :smiley:

I’m looking forward to joining in with the next read, but as far as Chi is concerned I certainly wouldn’t mind joining a spin-off club to read more of the series. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just finished the manga!

When it was first nominated, I was not so thrilled, because there is not a lot of text and it’s a story about a cat (I’m not so fond of cats).

But I really enjoyed reading it, even if I have not all understood.
I bought some of the next volumes because I really want to know more about the future adventures of Chi and her family.

5 Likes

Since multiple people said they wanted to continue reading and because nobody else did it, I created a new club, join me! \o/ (or don’t and I’ll be sad, reading all by myself :crying_cat_face:)

In case you are interested : @thislittlefox @Abstormal @Viridithon @anna_harumaki (not sure this will work as it is an edit :thinking:)

4 Likes

It worked, and I’m in! <3

1 Like

Same. Already read volume 2 in the downtime so it’ll be nice and relaxed to reread it.

I am the master necromancer!
I have finished the first book. Some pages were really hard others were easy. The threads were nice to read along with the vocab sheet.
Not sure how I feel about reading the manga as I had to look up a lot of words. may have to re-read it later. who knows it was really reading.

5 Likes

Does anybody know what おーもりら on page 158 is? I assume ら is だ, but as for the rest…?

And 寝てらー on page 162?

This is completely context-free as I haven‘t read the manga, so :sweat_smile:
Maybe the first one is 大盛り? Also ら is usually used to indicate plural, so „large servings“ maybe??
And I‘m not sure what’s your question about the second one; shouldn’t it mean „sleeping“?

1 Like

Omg that makes so much sense! I had the good sense to try おうもり, but not おおもり :sweat_smile:

As for the second one, I made a typo, it says 寝てらー!

2 Likes

Uh, ok, I’m afraid my knowledge ends here… :sweat_smile:

It seems てら can be used as a contraction of ているわ. I’ve rarely run into it though, and the わ at the end sounds slightly feminine which is weird for dad, but I can’t find any better explanation…

4 Likes

From my understanding, わ at the end of a sentence isn’t necessarily feminine. If it had a rising tone, it would be feminine, but if it’s a falling tone, it just adds emphasis or emotion without being gender specific.

2 Likes