チーズスイートホーム Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Yes, I assumed she was talking about returning home

That’s まぶしい, which can be inferred from the panel. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This will be my first book club to follow along with! I hope I’ll be able to do it, I’m so excited right now. :smile:

I’m sure I’ve encountered this word before, but never formally learned it. It’s a new one for me. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m super ready! I actually bought Chi’s Sweet Home back when it was voted to be read after Shirokuma Cafe.

Are… are we sure this is an absolute beginner book? This is looking worse than Yotsuba. At least she doesn’t slur everything she says.

1 Like

I know the book gets a lot of recommendation for beginners. That’s actually why I decided to join for しろくまカフェ, as it seems to get a lot of recommendation for beginners.

I imagine it’ll be fine so long as readers know what to expect from Chi’s speech, and focus their sense of progress on reading the human speech. I haven’t actually read through any of Chi’s Sweet Home yet, though.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t even taken off the shrinkwrapping. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Belthazar
Yeah, thankfully, most of the text in the book - from a flip-through of my copy, as I’ve only read the first few chapters before - is from the humans and uses kanji, furigana, and correct pronunciations and grammar points, as far as I can tell. Chi’s thoughts are also mostly made up of reaction words and sounds or one word questions, so after the first chapter or two, it shouldn’t be too hard to parse through.

1 Like

It is way easier than Yotsuba.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Surely you mean, “this doesn’t look as good as Yotsuba”?!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, if anyone is interested, the Yotsuba bookclub is currently taking a short break. We’ve just finished volume 8 (thanks so much again @Belthazar and @Kazzeon for all you have done and are doing in the club) and will start volume 9 just as soon as the demand becomes overwhelming! :joy: I started volume 1 as a complete beginner and with the help of the good people here have read 8 volumes! Looking forward to the next one!

3 Likes

I went to my nearest bookstore today and they didn’t have it. I asked if they could order it and got the crossed-hands “impossible” response. So Amazon gets another sale. Arrives Saturday.

1 Like

That’s way too soon! :joy:

1 Like

Where did you buy it? Could you link the webpage?

I’m looking forward to this.

When do we start reading/discussing?

If you’re just looking for some place to buy the ebook, there are some links in the first post you can check out:

2 Likes

I didn’t look at the first post :man_facepalming: Thanks

3 Likes

This is my first time taking part in the absolute beginner book club, but I’m at the point with my Japanese where I need to force myself to read (and read things at my level) rather than just dipping in and out of things and bouncing off them because they’re too difficult. Hopefully being involved with the club will keep me motivated! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m in. Got my book on order.

5 Likes

I just ordered my copy! Excited to try it out.

5 Likes