チーズスイートホーム Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

Welcome to チーズスイートホーム!

Where To Buy

Physical: Amazon JP | CDJapan

eBook: Kindle | eBook Japan | BookWalker | BookLive

Discussion Threads

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapters
Week 1 June 22nd Chapters 1-3
Week 2 June 29th Chapters 4-6
Week 3 July 6th Chapters 7-9
Week 4 July 13th Chapters 10-12
Week 5 July 20th Chapters 13-15
Week 6 July 27th Chapters 16-18
Week 7 August 3rd Chapters 19-20

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Member List

Set your participation status here

25 Likes

Are you planning to read チーズスイートホーム with us?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

If so, what version are you planning to read?

• Physical book
  • eBook

0 voters

5 Likes

So, this manga doesn’t have a lot of text, so I think we could read 3-4 chaptes in a week (one chapter is always 9 pages long). If you’re unsure about the difficulty, you can check the first chapter on eBook’s sites or the sample pages here.

Slow schedule
Week Chapter(s)
Week 1 Chapters 1-3
Week 2 Chapters 4-6
Week 3 Chapters 7-9
Week 4 Chapters 10-12
Week 5 Chapters 13-15
Week 6 Chapters 16-18
Week 7 Chapters 19-20
Fast schedule
Week Chapter(s)
Week 1 Chapters 1-4
Week 2 Chapters 5-8
Week 3 Chapters 9-12
Week 4 Chapters 13-16
Week 5 Chapters 17-20
Ramp-up schedule?
Week Chapter(s)
Week 1 Chapters 1-3
Week 2 Chapters 4-6
Week 3 Chapters 7-9
Week 4 Chapters 10-12
Week 5 Chapters 13-16
Week 6 Chapters 17-20

Which schedule do you want to follow?

• Slow schedule
  • Fast schedule
  • Ramp-up schedule
  • Don’t care / don’t know

0 voters

4 Likes

I haven’t read any japanese books before, but I’ll probably give this one a go!

4 Likes

Yay \o/ Welcome:33

Also, if anyone could make a vocab list, I would appreciate it because I don’t know how yet :eyes:

2 Likes

I already looked around the manga and this is so mich more my level, then Shirokuma, which totally overwhelmed me :sweat_smile: so i will sneak around this time

3 Likes

Yeaaah, Shirokuma is much harder than manga for absolute beginners, I would say, but oh well, it was chosen:3 And welcome \o/

3 Likes

I fell off the bandwagon with Shirokuma, but I’ve already read a bit of Chi and actually started going through it for vocab list purposes a while ago. I can get vocab pulled out for the first few chapters at least and toss them into a vocab list.

Looking forward to reading!

2 Likes

Was just looking into buying this!

1 Like

Already got my copy :grin: really hoping this read will work a lot better for me, not that I haven’t enjoyed the Shriokuma puns, it was just simply far above my current level :slight_smile: :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Hi here !
Just got a digital copy :smiley:
(I’ll print it little by little to scribble on it though haha)

I had that book some years ago in french but totally forgot what it was about since. So it’s nice to read it to boost my japanese ^^

EDIT : I’ll go see how was done the previous vocab sheet and create one if you want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve already got a vocab sheet started, no need to duplicate work. ^^

Blank so far, as I’m pulling up my transcription to fill it in a bit, but it’s here.

Edit: that is to say, the sheet’s created, so no need to create a second one. Others are more than welcome to help create the vocab lists, I just already have the first few chapters transcribed for that purpose. ^^;

3 Likes

I’m interested in joining along for this. It sounds very fun.

I missed Shirokuma, but I would love to join this one!

mfw 3 chapters a week is the slow schedule. :eyes:

3 Likes

Yeaah, I don’t know :joy: The have sooo little text though, so I guess it’s gonna be fine. We can always adjust it later, I think \o/ :DDD

1 Like

Question is, will we spend the first half of every week trying to figure out what かえう and まうし mean, or will we have all the Chi-isms learned by the end of week one? :wink:

2 Likes

I guess this club is for absolute beginners, so that may be an issue, but over time you learn how to parse that type of stuff.

2 Likes

… What and what, now?

It’s going to be a long first week. These specific words are from chapter 2 and chapter…8?

おうち かえう

kaeu%20i_0012

まうしー

maushi%20i_0062

I’m up to the challenge (I hope). I’m sure I’ll get used to Chi’s way of speaking and be able to understand the intended words by a few chapters in (I hope).

If all else fails, read Chi’s dialogue as “meow meow” and focus on what the humans are saying =D

Edit: I can see where かえう is かえる. And similar ones such as あえ being あれ. (Dropped R’s.) And ミウクら (somehow) is ミルクだ.

4 Likes