チーズスイートホーム Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

You used to just be able to use a Japanese address (I use my free Japanese address from the tensou website).
However, when I went to buy this one, I had to use “SetupVPN” the google chrome extension.

So I think it must be a recent thing that you have to actually be in the country, since I used to be fine with just the address.

Are we starting at Japanese Time?

2 Likes

This is also my first real attempt (looking at a couple of pages and trying to read them doesn’t count, I wasn’t trying to read the thing only see how hard it potentially would be) outside graded readers! In fact I will keep reading graded readers whenever I finish the week’s Chi reading. :slight_smile: I’m currently taking time to read three times per week.

2 Likes

I’m going to make a thread in the evening my time, just like with Shirokuma:3 So it’s gonna be early morning in Japan, Australia and so on:3 So in ~8 hours from now:)

4 Likes

This looks like it should be a cute read. Can’t wait to start.

2 Likes

The weekly thread is here:3 Boop I will post new ones around this time from now on:3

11 Likes

Yay! My copy arrived right on time. Glad I didn’t fork over for expedited shipping.

5 Likes

Well guys, I messed up.

I was exceptionally anxious (for no reason) yesterday evening, so I thought I’d read a few chapters ahead.

I accidentally finished the book. I don’t know how I went from not liking to thinking it was okay enough to read this book but here we are.

All in all it was cute, but at some parts I felt Chi was annoying, though my partner said that this is just how cat’s act, so it’s realistic, at least.

I’ll probably go back and read over chapters with the club, but yikes, I didn’t mean to finish the book in week 1.

14 Likes

It’s not messing uppp, I’m already a third in volume two :eyes: I think that also helps to answer other people’s questions, because with Shirokuma I was catching up the whole time:3

Also this manga is too cute, how could you not :eyes:

7 Likes

I kind of want to buy volume 2 but I have sooo many other books to read and I just bought vol 3 of girl’s last tour
So cute!

Also, once I got used to Chi’s way of speaking, it was actually a pretty easy read. Shirokuma lowered my self esteem a little.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, is there a suggested WaniKani level to have for attempting this? Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome!

This is not massively loaded with kanji, and what kanji there is always has furigana, so it’s not so much WaniKani that’s a prerequisite but rather grammar knowledge. To be honest, if you don’t know much grammar, you’re going to struggle.

4 Likes

Week 4 coming soon? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Tomorrow? :thinking:

1 Like

Today in the evening (for me)! \o/ :3 チーズスイートホーム: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 10-12)

2 Likes

Nothing too important but is it just me or are some hiragana and katakna written a bit more differently then i’m used too? The author’s name surprised me a bit at first.but i also got quite confused at the onomatopoeia used on page 3 for example.

No sure which katakana was written where so i looked up the onomatopoeia used for birds as suggested here: Japanese Onomatopoeia: The Guide

Which suggests that birds make chun chun? But no matter how hard i try to look the character used looks like a katakana “chi” at best.

I usually don’t check the onomatopoeia that much… Japanese ones doesn’t make much sense to me

1 Like

you are perfectly correct and it’s not like its important to me if japanese birds make chun chun noises or chi but it irritated me not being able to identify that particular katakana or hiragana.contrary to woof or meow noises which were easy to read and maybe more commonly known.

Besides that i only know the menacing goooooo sound and thats it.

Most of the time you can happily ignore the sound effects and rely on the pictures to understand what’s going on. However there are occasional times where the sound effect is important for following what has happened in the story.

If you want to look them up my preferred resource is Japanese-to-English SFX Sound Effects Translations @ The JADED Network

The sound effect here is チッ - pronounced “chi” - the small tsu just makes the sound stop abruptly. Jaded network entry for this word is:

5 Likes

Oh that’s a rather good source for onomatopoeia, thank you for this one.
But this is nice as my chi reading was correct after all.

1 Like