コンビニ人間 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Since it’s only week 2 and both of those weeks are about 10 pages each, I’m sure you can do it~ 頑張って!

5 Likes

Just started to read the book today and it is, well, hard… Spent around an hour over the first page (it is like 1.5-2 paper pages I guess) and then just gave it up. Instead tried to go forward as far as I am able to follow the general story line - which turned out to be not that unbearable actually. The main difficulty is of course kanji. Many of them I cannot even recognize yet, ehhh… Anyways, will work on it a bit and if I feel eventually that this is too overwhelming then will leave it until lv30 or something/
Still, the book is fab in the beginning. This is the story type I really like - the slice of real life.

10 Likes

I could kiss you.

5 Likes

If it’s too much right now don’t worry about it! You’ll get used to it with time after you learn more kanjis. If you can continue even without understanding everything, that’s fine and very beneficial (as long as you don’t burn yourself out). Otherwise, you can always try to tackle an easier reading, probably a manga, since the narration in novels (even easier ones) is another level above dialogue. Good luck!

3 Likes

As long as there is fun (or well, a nice balance of fun an work), I am in :slight_smile:
Manga is not my reading type, but luckily there is a number of books already read by the Beginner club and I can go though them meanwile

Thank you!

4 Likes

The thread for Week 3 is up!

By the way I forgot to say anything but feel free to update with the ebook percentages etc in the op. If not I’ll do it eventually

Btw uploading a thread when you haven’t finished the previous thread’s reading… guilt x2

7 Likes

Would anyone be interested in a section in the OP for how to read the characters’ names?

15 Likes

I did this for 11 weeks for Aria volume 4. <_<

3 Likes

Yes please. Also, any place names.

2 Likes

You mean like 日色町駅前店? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yes. I’ve been meaning to ask how to read that one in particular.

1 Like

にっしょくちょうえきまえてん? :man_shrugging:

I also have no idea. I actually noped out when I reached that name and came back a few days later.

1 Like

My guess is ひいろまちえきまえてん, but would love confirmation.

1 Like

I was thinking ひいろちょう, myself :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s another case of “everyone reads it different”, like 恵子’s name before it was confirmed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

How do you know when to use ちょう or まち for 町?

Has anyone bought the audio book yet? That seems like the easiest way to confirm.
(I’m holding off on the off-chance that Prime Day brings a free trial longer than one month for Audible.)

I only know まち being used in a few stuff like 下町. Otherwise I always read it ちょう, especially for places names.

1 Like

Googling around tells me that both can be used for places, though I have no idea which is more common. For example, 和倉町 is わくらまち.

1 Like

I just tried to get the free audible trial real quick just to know that, but it’s only available to new members… I’m curious, but not enough to pay 1500 yen to find out…

I’ve never gotten an Audible trial, so I’ll try to grab a copy this week. I think this would be a good book to listen to later for some listening practice anyway.

1 Like