キノの旅 Week 13 Discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club Here!

キノの旅 Home Thread

Chapter 6 (2/2) & Epilogue

Start Date: June 1
Previous Chapter: Week 12
Next Chapter: (Book 2; not planned so far)

Week 13 Reading: Chapter 6 (2/2) & Epilogue
Until the end of the book!

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for キノの旅!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Reading aloud group

For more info see thread here

With updated dates:

Note: the session for this week’s content will happen on June 8th and 9th.

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_vin:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
4 Likes

Yay, let’s finish this off, everybody!

I must say that overall I was much more impressed by the (old) anime than by this book…

5 Likes

That was a gruesome chapter.

Q1

おはよう、キノさんにエルメスさん。
Why に is used here?

Q2

今よりずっと瘦せていた館長と、抱き合っている見たこともない服を着た女性。
Somehow I fail to parse the part after comma.
A women who wore clothes that never saw hugging each other?? This makes no sense.
Perhaps it’s (今よりずっと瘦せていた館長と、 - the curator who was much thinner than now and,) 抱き合っている (見たこともない服を着た女性 - a woman who wore clothes I’ve never seen before) but what noun does 抱き合っている modify?

This was the second book I finished after 時をかける少女, and I quite enjoyed it (except of chapter 2, which was too similar to chapter 1.) (I enjoyed 時をかける少女 too.) But I probably will have to skip the next book and instead try to finish Tobira and Try! N2. Will hopefully join the club again for the book after the next.

4 Likes
Response to Q2

It’s the women in the photo: the curator (much slimmer than she is now) and a woman who the curator is hugging, a woman wearing clothing that Kino has never seen before.

2 Likes

Q1
I couldn’t say why, but it’s common when listing (and greeting) multiple people.
Q2
Your second parse is correct. 抱き合っている is modifying 女性 as well. the picture shows the curator, and a woman who she is hugging who is wearing clothes Kino hasn’t seen before.

I found the あとがき amusing

3 Likes
Spoilers for p. 224

Did anyone else notice the names for the lady’s sons?
長男:トス
次男:トス
三男:トス
末っ子:トス

Secret message (?): ウソダヨ

10 Likes

Fun fact: I indeed read the あとがき before reading anything else.

5 Likes

It was spoiled for me by the Internet. The author tweeted in response to someone that the meaning of the message is up to everyone’s interpretation. Mostly, I believe he did it for the lulz.

2 Likes

Interesting. It seemed kind of weird that the lady would make up such an elaborate story that the country would buy into knowing it was false just so they could have war games (?) instead of a real war. I also didn’t really notice until I saw the first son’s name. When she said there was a fourth son, I was like “oh never mind it must have been a coincidence”, and then his name started with yo. :laughing:

2 Likes

Why it is in a present tense while 服を着た is in the past tense? Aren’t both describing the same moment depicted on the photo?

Some quick questions:

Double-check on page ~ 3 from the start

キノは、エルメスがそれ以上積むのはムリだろうと言うまで買い込んだ。

I take this to mean that she loaded Hermes to the max - is that correct?
(literally: “she shopped until piling up more onto Hermes would probably be impossible”)

One or two pages later

When they get to the library again and start talking to the librarian. Hermes just made a remark.

館長は、そうですかと言って、そして発言を足すようにキノを見た。

First I read this as “the librarian looked at Kino as if she(the librarian) wanted to add a remark.” But then I wondered whether it actually means “the librarian looked at Kino to see whether she(Kino) wanted to add a remark.” (also supported by the fact that Kino actually speaks next.)

How can this be distinguished (other than from context)? And what is the correct interpretation here?

1 Like
page ~ 3 from the start

I get it as “She was shopping until Hermes said that it’s not possible to pile up any more on him.”

One or two pages later

The verb there is 促す, not 足す. The librarian looked at Kino as if she was urging her(Kino) to make a remark.

1 Like
page ~ 3 from the start

Oh, that’s what と言う refers to - it’s Hermes speaking :slight_smile: I took this to be more of a general quotation of Kino’s thought, but this makes much more sense.

One or two pages later

Oh wow :woman_facepalming:

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haven’t read that far yet, but I think 着た is probably past tense because its actual meaning it to put on. So, the clothes she put on in the morning. (and is consequently, wearing now)

2 Likes

Because grammar! (I only have 5 seconds, sorry)
One is an active verb, the other one is a static en verb :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved the ending line:

土煙がもうもうと立ちこめた。倒れてもう動かなくなってしまったタタタ人の若者を、覆い隠した。 そしてそれが晴れた時には、モトラドは見えなくなっていた。

I have to say, even though it might not appeal for some, I like how in many cases there’s no actual resolution in the chapters. You’re left thinking whether what’s going on is right or wrong, just like Kino.

4 Likes

Hm, I don’t understand why the author chose to put in the forest b first and in the forest a last. I feel like the end of in the forest a would have been the perfect cliffhanger and in the forest b brings the answer at the end :confused:

2 Likes

Now I’m going to have to go and reread the beginning… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

It had a small spoiler for chapter 5 though, and it assumed we already knew the stuff that was reintroduced in every chapter, so I can also see why it was at the end and not the beginning.

Unrelated to that, regarding this week’s reading, I think I’ll consider all those dots judgmental enough to call them a reaction and say I got what I said I wanted last week.

Oh, and we’re done with the book! That means I’ve now read five books in Japanese. The afterword of this one was a bit amusing, even if I personally read it last to avoid spoilers.

7 Likes

Just gonna say that with this over, I’m glad I decided to join this book even after lots of doubt when it first started. I thought I wouldn’t make it because it was going to be either too hard (it was at some points), or I might get too bored. Thank you all, I didn’t have much time to be more involved in the discussions because of work but I almost read every single message in all threads. Glad I joined and looking forward to other books with everyone here :blush:

16 Likes