キノの旅 Week 1 Discussion

It means about to go do it, yes. ため doesn’t mean that, so it wouldn’t be used.
Incidentally, I wouldn’t put an I in there - this book seems to be written in the third person.

無性に is it’s own thing
Otherwise yeah.

丁 is a counter for guns, yeah.

7 Likes
Look at everyone, being fast and stuff.

If I remember correctly, ~おうとする is the same as ~てみる, except when it’s in the past it implies “tried but did not succeed” and ~てみた implies “tried and succeeded.” I’m not sure what you’re asking about ため

横になりたい = want to become sideways = want to lie down
横になりたくなる = becomes such that you want to lie down

See definition 3. I’m guessing that guns are too flat for ~本 to work

Dang it’s almost the end of the week, I need to finish the reading

6 Likes

Thanks to all three of you! Very quick and clear replies haha ^^

Ohhhh… I wonder how that came to be…

Thank you! It’s much clearer now. I guess I really ought to get back at studying grammar asap as I feel like I have some huge gaps in my knowledge.

I definitely had a brain meltdown while thinking about ために :laughing:

Ahh I must’ve skipped it somehow when I looked it up before. Thanks!

I should do some more proper lookups before asking silly questions next time :stuck_out_tongue: sorry about that

2 Likes

I still have three pages left in this week’s reading, but I’m liking it so far. The gun descriptions on page 25 were interesting. I understood a decent amount of it from my (small) experience with guns, but the description of the third gun went way over my head until I looked up all the words.

1 Like

But… there are only two guns, though? Do you mean the second gun?

4 Likes

I was gonna say the same thing ^^

To be fair though, the wording does make it sound like it’s gonna talk about another another gun for a second. There was a moment when I thought there were three as well.

2 Likes

Hmm, you know I thought there were only two guns (it does literally say 二丁), but it did sound like there was a description for three guns. I probably should have reread that page to solidify my understanding, but I was trying to be like @QuackingShoe and keep reading. :laughing:

6 Likes

I plan to be a little more like you and reread this week’s material :rofl:

Partly because I don’t remember which gun is which and what they do!

6 Likes

The first one doesn’t pack much of a punch, but has a long barrel and is (therefore) accurate. The second one is named カノン, which I think is all you need to know. :rofl:

7 Likes

Finished the reading now. I managed to finish on time, and without it draining my time from everything else (WaniKani, other reading, other entertainment), so that’s a good sign.

I’ll take tomorrow to read through all the comments.

11 Likes

I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the pace, since I have too little time now, but actually managed to read everything until the cut off line in one go. Definitely wouldn’t be able to do it with the physical book though, without the popup dictionary.

1 Like

I reread it last night instead of sleeping
Whyyyyyy now work is haarrdddd

Also I can’t fully conceptualize a revolver that doesn’t use cartridges. Like, I guess it’s a caplock revolver. It’s so alien to me.

4 Likes

Revolver that only holds one bullet… That reminds me of the good old blunderbuss:

grafik
Yes, you have to reload it every time after you shot, but there are also big advantages. If you have no bullets left, you were also able to put basically everything in there, that you could find. It’s loaded from the front, therfore the funnel shape, with a felt or peace of cloth between the powder and the projectile. When you made a trip through the wildernis, this could get very handy, because the gunpowder doesn’t weight that much and you do not neccessarily need to carry many bullets with you.

Maybe thats also Kino’s idea: beeing always and in every situation possible to defend yourself.

~T :lion:

5 Likes

And then there’s people like me who don’t understand what you just said, though I can guess what is a CAPSLOCK REVOLVER.

7 Likes

It’s an actual revolver though. Apparently Kino’s カノン is a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver , at least in the anime.

But yeah, I’m used to seeing either cap and ball pistols like you showed (pirates), or cartridge-loading six-shooters (cowboys). So this revolver sounded like some unholy amalgamation out of deep time and space brought to us with some primeval malign intent.

Or it did until I looked it up and watched a video about how you load it. Now it’s like, oh okay.

4 Likes

Just wanted to check my understanding of this sentence from page 29.

(Context) 自然あふれる森の中の居住エリア。
町としての機能は、今まで見てきた中では一番優れていた。

Is this basically saying that as far as features of the town go, among the ones Kino has seen the residential area was the best?

2 Likes

As far as Kinou that Kino has seen, this Kinou is the most Kinou-y that Kino has seen.
: D

3 Likes

From the whole context, I think this particular sentence is actually refering to the town as a whole, but I would have to read back and check again as I am just going from memory. It’s functionality as a town was the best out of any town he had ever seen so far.

Yeah, so looking back, I am pretty sure on this one. Basically, at this part, Kino is looking out over the whole town and finally sees some people. Then he is wondering why they are all shut inside. At this point, he looks out the window and sees a very clean and well arranged townscape. He also sees a living area in a forest overflowing with nature. He thinks to himself, this is the most functional town out of all the towns he has ever seen before.
Then he wonders yet again why the heck all of these people are locking themselves away despite that.

キノは、もう一度窓の外を見た。清潔でよく整った町並み。自然あふれる森の中の居住エリア。町としての機能は、今まで見てきた中では一番優れていた。「なんでだろう?」

3 Likes

I’m still catching up, but I got so excited about this that I have to share it (I haven’t read through the thread to not get spoiled, so pardon if it’s a dupe)!

The kanji for でこぼこ in jisho.org is 凸凹. It’s soooo apt … I thought at first that my eyes were fooling with me or jisho is giving me an easter egg.

5 Likes

Not to be confused with 凹凸おうとつ, which basically means the same thing but with a different reading.

By the way, these words are on WK too :wink:

6 Likes