キノの旅 Week 1 Discussion

If it’s after the furigana’d 誰, that makes sense! It’s the other way around that I absolutely hate when it happens.

(It does happen.)

3 Likes

They gave you the furigana once, you don’t need it again!

6 Likes

I just stumbled upon a 誰 in 狼と香辛料 and…

It has furigana :joy: Maybe that’s just a thing.

I guess it only took me 8 volumes and some pages to notice.

It is only a few sentences later, but 誰 also had furigana a few pages ago. So it’s not really clear when the furigana will appear again. Doesn’t really matter, I just find it strange.

I’ve seen this elsewhere too, so I think it is a thing. One I just don’t get though, since it’s taught in middle school and only has one normal reading.

1 Like

Probably because 誰 was not in the joyo kanji list until 2010 ?

8 Likes

Yeah, I see 誰 with furigana pretty commonly in a lot of low-furigana contexts.
But also in low-furigana contexts, if they furigana something once, they often won’t do it again - at least for the rest of the chapter. In Manga, because it’s serialized, it seems common to put furigana on the first instance of names and things each chapter.
Or Citrus would mention that 芽衣 was the 義妹いもうと every issue :rofl:

#incestnotincest

Yeah maybe its a kanji that little kids don’t encounter much until they get to books like this one.

Ah, that makes sense!

Alright, actual question to ask now:
Twice (one time being at the end of page 24), Hermes says びんぼうしょー. Is that 貧乏性?

3 Likes

That was my conclusion.

1 Like

At the beginning of p. 28 Hermes say ホントはあまり感心できないけどね
Is he making fun of Kino for peeping on people ? (with the scope thing)

1 Like

Funfact, I thought I misread the fact that the bike was talking and was happy to learn that Hermes is actually a bike.

I can’t remember if I had already said that or not

5 Likes

That’s what I guessed :joy:

3th line from the end of page 24:
そしてばふっとふかふかの布団に倒れ込んで…

Does ばふっ refer to the sound made when soft things hit each other?

It doesn’t come up in jisho or the mac japanese dictionary. Is it related to ふっと? (The “with a puff” meaning)

What else I searched

I found these two links (link1, link2, Ctrl+f for “ばふっ”) that seem to describe it a little bit but I don’t understand fully. The first one says that he’s having a memory of diving in the snow, and since snow is soft he uses ばふっ. In the second one, I only got through 一回目 but it sounds like he’s describing the sound of a kick landing.

In Kino’s case she’s landing on the soft bed, so that’s what makes me think it’s soft things hitting each other.

2 Likes

@seanblue and @sigolino, I think it’s way more disturbing, that the author explains モトラド. Not only in this chapter, no he explains it in EACH CHAPTER!
By the way, I am totally confused by the explanation of モトラド:
空を飛ばないものだけを指す。
Specifies a not at the heaven flying thing … huh :upside_down_face: ?

~T :lion:

4 Likes

It’s just letting you know that it can’t fly (in the sky).

1 Like

Thanks at @QuackingShoe 先生 and @sigolino 先生. These explanations helped me so much :green_heart:

Here some more things I did not really get:

p. 23 (the first)
円形の町は広く、先ほどキノ達が走ったのはほんの端っこだけにすぎなかった。
The circular town was wide, the ride of Kino and Hermes did not reach even the slightest edge (of the town?).
(Is this really the meaning or did I just interpret wrong things in there?)

p. 23 (the second)
「…少なくとも、この前みたいに後一人しか残っていない、ってことはないね」
At least, it seems (?) that the thing (assumption?) that from beginning to end there is no one left, is not true.

p. 26
ロビー近くのレストランに行くと、キノ一人のためだけに、バッフェスタイルの食事がテーブルにずらりと用意されていた。
When he went to the restaurant near the lobby, a (special kind of) meal was lined up on a table prepared.
How can I imagine this scene? Maybe like a long table with a huge bunch of different meals in a row?

Sorry, in German it’s the same word (Himmel = heaven; sky)
Thaks that you pointed it out again :slight_smile:

~T :lion:

1 Like

Almost. It says the part Kino and Hermes had been driving around in up until a bit ago wasn’t more than a small corner of the town.

They seem to be referencing a previous country they went to where only a single person was left alive. この前みたいに like last time, 後一人しか残っていない only one person left ってことはないね it’s not that.
That’s my reading, anyway.

Page 26

Buffet style :wink:

5 Likes

Bother, beaten to it by Quackingshoe :stuck_out_tongue:

…was no more than the edge of

p26. I picture buffet style something like this:

7 Likes

9 Likes

It’s my bois Julian and Miles! Aaaaaaaaaaaa

2 Likes