キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

It might not help you judge whether the pace will be manageable for you or not, but the original nomination has sample pages which you could try reading to see whether your grammar is about right.

Of course, the first few pages are always quite hard as you get into it.

5 Likes

I guess the best you can do is read the first three pages (in the nomination post) and ask yourself if you are prepared to do 15 pages per week.

Of course the first few pages are always harder, since you get used to the author’s writing as you read, and certain terms are often repeated that you had to look up before.

It is totally up to you, of course. If you feel like reading it, go for it! Wild abandon and whatnot.

I do remember thinking that maybe I would’ve enjoyed the reading a bit more if I didn’t start off trying to read as difficult books as I did, though. Reading (much) above your level makes it harder to enjoy the writing and I ended up getting bored with the chore of slugging through word by word. Whether this would be the case for you and キノの旅, you will have to judge for yourself.

4 Likes

I read the prologue twice already and still have no clue when each character is talking. :rofl:

8 Likes

That’s always a problem for me too at first, it usually gets better the farther I go into a book/series and get used to each character’s personality and speech and whatever though :sweat_smile:

I mean, when you don’t yet know what the heck is going on, it’s a bit irritating.

3 Likes

Wow, it acutally looks quite right for me! Thanks for the tip with the sample pages!

… so I think I’ll join and buy a copy then
cheers guys!

[Edit: Book will arrive between 12th and 22nd of february, yay!]

11 Likes

Well! I already have this book and am trying to get back into my Japanese study after yet another looooong break, so count me in! :grinning:

10 Likes

Hey, I remember you from years ago!

3 Likes

Yay! I’m remembered vaguely!

10 Likes

I remember you also! You were around in like 2013, right?

3 Likes

You might remember my old avatar lol

image image

I just joined the beginner book club a couple months ago for 時をかける少女 and it’s a great experience. That’s the first light novel I’ve read where I’ve had good comprehension and not given up on it, both thanks in large part to the club.

3 Likes

That’s not actually a light novel, though it is a quite light novel (if that makes any sense)

7 Likes

I remember you really specifically…from your post 18 minutes ago…:wink:

7 Likes

…does that make sense? :laughing:

Is it not a light novel because the physical dimensions are wrong? Or because it’s a short story?

Regardless, it will be the first of any sort of Japanese novel that I will finish.

1 Like

I may be wrong, but to my understanding light novels come in many volumes and stuff, like manga.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to actually figure out what the definition of ‘light novel’ is outside of ‘usually trash’
: D

7 Likes

The weight. Light novels have to be under 423 grams. 時をかける少女 weighs only 422.

6 Likes

B-but 422 is under 423

6 Likes

Hey, don’t mess with me, I’ll beat you up :rage: disclaimer: not really, please don’t ban me

Usually trash is probably right though. I like to read the ones that are not trash, like 狼と香辛料 and ゴシック.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any real criteria for something being a light novel or not. They mostly have some typical characteristics, but some light novels don’t follow those and some normal novels can also be kind of similar sometimes. The books that are called light novels… are light novels. That’s all I’ve managed to figure out.

2 Likes

Not sure what type of math you are employing…Pre or post cartesian? But yes, 7 is bigger than 8 and 423 is a number if that is what you are asking.

3 Likes