キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

I’ll give it a try, then. Does everyone use this in advance of the book?

1 Like

I used (am using) FloFlo for 時をかける少女.

I pre-learnt high-frequency words during the couple of weeks before the book started. Learning all words that appeared 3 or more times meant I learnt about 160 words in total, I think (it will probably be quite a bit more for this book).

Then I’ve been using FloFlo while reading as a sort of prescient dictionary, and only learning the low-frequency words (which appear once or twice) if they seem useful.

Words which appear many times are much less likely to be misparsed, so you can pre-learn them much more confidently. It also becomes a much more manageable task than learning thousands of words without seeing them in context!

3 Likes

I don’t think it counts, but when I first registered on floflo back in the days, the site was young, and the book list was short. Kino was one of those, so just to try things out, I did add a few words from that list.

1 Like

I tried to use floflo for 時をかける少女, but quickly got tired of trashing all the bullshit words/misparses (it felt like there were like 10 junk words per 1 good one). I’m definitely not using it again.

1 Like

Wow, really? I feel like there have been hardly any misparses. My only grievance is that it’s not good at picking up multi-word verbs.

In fact, I’ve been keeping track of misparses I’ve noticed - I might have missed some as it’s filtering words based on my WK level, but in 16 chapters so far I’ve noted 22 misparses.

2 Likes

I guess that once you trash a bunch of misparses, they won’t be showing up again? :man_shrugging: But yeah, that might be the experience of a first time user vs active user.

2 Likes

The more you use Floflo, the better it gets at picking words that are relevant for you.
You can also import Anki lists in, so that you won’t see those in there (it will assume you are learning them on your own).

I hardly see any misparse anymore myself.

Is there a way to put it in chronological order or something? :thinking:
Maybe with frequency set to 1?

It’s always in order of first appearance. For words that appear multiple times, it only shows the first time around.

1 Like

Thank you😊

I used Floflo to get the most frequent words for 時をかける少女 and it was really useful, but this time it feels like it’s going to be critical since I can’t rely on furigana for most words and that could really slow me down.

That reminds me… I have no clue how the words that do have furigana are chosen. At first I thought they would be uncommon words or something but I’ve seen furigana on things like 誰 or 他 so… no idea.

2 Likes

I think you might have just helped me decide which version to go for :rofl:

3 Likes

For some reason 誰 often has furigana. I’m not really sure why. 他 can be read as ほか or た, so it could just be clarifying.

2 Likes

March is still far away, are there any things we can do beforehand to kill the waiting time? Like to prepare for reading the book? I just want to keep my motivation high haha

1 Like

Gaze hopefully at the postman each morning as they make their way down the street?

10 Likes

I bought the ebook!!

I mean is floflo for example a good way to prepare?

2 Likes

Sorry :grin:

Yep, I’d say using FloFlo to pre-learn some vocabulary would be a good idea. I would prioritise high-frequency vocabulary, and do pace yourself. You will probably be able to trash a lot of words through knowing them already so it won’t be as big a task as it first appears.

4 Likes

I trashed like 250 words and then gave up for now. :joy:
There are like 4k in total. D:

1 Like

Mm, 時をかける少女 has 2700 unique words. I’ve only had to learn about 500 of them so far though. Don’t forget that you can tell it your WK level! I find it really satisfying trashing stuff :grin:

And I really do recommend going for high-frequency stuff. I drilled down from frequency 6 to frequency 3, which was quite a motivational way of doing it - I got to tick off frequency 6, then 5, etc.

2 Likes

Me too, unfortunately my WK level is no longer a good evaluation of my kanji or vocab knowledge, and it honestly goes both ways. :sweat_smile:

There are 454 words of frequency 10. :joy:

5 Likes