キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

OMG guys you have no idea how excited I am about this one!!!

I’ve had the whole collection of this series for a couple of years now and my goal has always been to be able to read this in the original Japanese text. I’ve read little bits of the first book buts it’s always been on-and-off with this sort of thing (more like 95% off haha) and I never really put aside the motivation to get on with the activity.

The anime was really exciting to watch (both old and new) with Kino such a charming yet fierce character but the books offer those extra layers of depth that can’t be found in an animated series. Voted for this one ages ago and happy to see the club on it.

22 Likes

That’s a lot of Kino

9 Likes

Wow. I’m more like “this seems like a good enough book to try to improve my reading skills”. My interest in Kino’s Journey itself is kind of middling.

7 Likes

Why read anything with only middling interest pfffff

1 Like

I think it’ll be good practice. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I looked into it too only because it was recommended for intermediate learners but the reviews seem somewhat promising. I’m not usually reading fiction anymore these days but it seems like it is something that I could grow to like. I‘l have to wait and see.

Maybe you are lucky too and end up enjoying it more than you thought. Let’s hope for the best :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I’m actually also on this side. I don’t have any special interest in reading it (I don’t even know what to expect out of it, really), which is probably why it spent so much time in my wishlist. I just decided to read it because the club chose it.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t care about it, but I also didn’t vote for it. But since it won, reading books you don’t care about is part of a book club!

5 Likes

Quite. I enjoyed the original anime, but I never really experienced a moment of “wow, this is awesome! I gotta watch the next epsidoe!” Still haven’t watched the new series…

I didn’t even like the original anime that much. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

He did it ha ha. I’m kinda envious. All these book’s covers are so pretty. I will pretty buy them all someday if I like the first one.

4 Likes

God they’re so pretty

4 Likes

Yeah the covers are gorgeous. I love how the artist makes Kino look so sassy in many of the illustrations.

3 Likes

Same here!! I’ve been sitting on most of the LNs for ages but beyond reading a chapter here and there I’ve never sat and gone all the way through them. The original anime is one of my all time faves, and I’m pretty fond of Sigsawa’s writing. So, this should be a good excuse :smiley:

1 Like

I once read the first book in German more than 10 years ago because I got it for free at a book fair… and I liked it a lot. But I think the series was discontinued by the German Publisher so I didn’t bother buying the other few volumes they published :frowning: I bought the 2003 anime on DVD instead (I didn’t even know there was a “remake”). It was okay but I didn’t enjoy it that much. Really wanted to read the books.

Ah, I’m so sad…because I won’t be joining. I don’t think my Japanese is on that level yet. But one day…

3 Likes

Absolutely. Also I was completely unaware of the existence of Flo.Flo until now. One of the things that has always excited me most about studying Japanese is the vast range of online community resources and the creativity they have in addressing real problems that the learner faces. For sure, not everybody has access to a native Japanese speaker or Japanese teacher who they can go through texts together and assess their understanding with and clear up any misconceptions they may have about the language. That’s why these kinds of resources are so valuable and so very much appreciated.

6 Likes

So, I just had a dumb realization, but I won’t have easy access to the Internet on the 9th of March (and will only be back to civilization the 12th).
It’s still far away, but could someone take care of making the first week’s thread? (@seanblue @MissMisc r any other good soul out there)
申し訳ありません :bowing_woman::bowing_woman::bowing_woman:

3 Likes

Sure I can do it ^^

10 Likes

Thank you so much! :bowing_man::bowing_man::bowing_man:

2 Likes

ooh thank you for this! cant wait to start this.

2 Likes