キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

I idly glanced over the Kino books at Kinokuniya (wait… no pun intended?) to see if I felt like buying it for this, but volume one was missing. Two was there, though, along with a smattering of other volumes. Like volume twenty-one.

There’s twenty-one volumes of this?

With amusing coincidentality, though, I did see volume one on the English new releases table. Which is odd, because it was released in 2006. Guess they’re doing a re-release for the new anime? Or maybe it was a manga - I didn’t pick it up to check, though it did have the same cover as the light novel.

3 Likes

The manga has a very similar cover, iirc.

Yes, they are really similar. The ebook (to the right) is the light novel, the other is the manga.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this one: :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Kino is looking the opposite direction though! That’s clearly a huge difference!

7 Likes

Hehe, probably there are five more covers of various editions and reprints out there :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

It was this: Books Kinokuniya: Kino's Journey: the Beautiful World Vol. 1 / Sigsawa, Keiichi/ Shiomiya, Iruka (ILT) (9781947194359)

Yeah, it’s the manga.

Yep, that’s why I’m so keen to do the first volume of this through the book club. The theory is that once I get through the first one, it’ll give me to momentum to keep going with the series.

I do like the form factor though. Even with quite a lot of volumes, stacked two deep they take up barely any space at all! ^_^;

2 Likes

If you’re looking for a place to get the first volume yesasia is a good source

Thanks for reminding me of YesAsia. I used to order movies from them, but didn’t think about them as a source for books.

And … it turns out that my attempt to order through Kinokuniya a month ago actually failed, so we’ll see if I get the book in time. Will probably have to play catch up the first couple sections.

2 Likes

You could buy the ebook version, unless you hate ebooks or something. I’ve been waiting for a discount this whole time, so I haven’t bought it yet (guess I’ll have to buy it at full price :cry:)

In which format will the book be?
Is it available in a pdf format?!

Usually you can only read it in the built-in reader on the website or in the app of either bookwalker/ebookjapan, they don’t just give you the pdf.
If you have a kindle or something you can also buy the kindle version on Amazon.

1 Like

In this case, I want a physical copy. If I like the book, I intend to share it with my daughter or donate it to her school library.

2 Likes

Well, then I hope you don’t get too far behind :+1:

Personal recommendation: Share with your daughter if you like it, donate to school if you don’t. :eyes:

1 Like

You can easily convert ebooks into PDF files using Calibre, though. Pretty handy and it only takes three clicks. It also changes the reading direction to horizontal, if anyone prefers that.

1 Like

Except you can’t, if they have DRM protection (which amazon files have for sure).

Otherwise, yea super easy. :wink:

2 Likes

I always buy ebooks on Amazon, and I was able to convert all of them using Calibre.

Edit: Checked for Kino. Works perfectly. No DRM issues.

1 Like

Oh. Please do teach me your magic, because I tried to do this and Calibre just throws a DRM warning at me and refused to do anything. :thinking:

1 Like