キッチン Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

An option “We will not read Moonlight Shadow with the book club” got zero votes though, which means the next book should be postponed until this one is finished anyway?

I’m not sure. Most people voted they don’t care. I voted to decide later. If all people remaining at the end can read that part in a single sitting, why artificially delay the next book? (Especially since it would be a clean slate allowing more people to join). On the contrary, if we have a bunch of people still reading, but having trouble increasing the pace, then go with the slower option. :woman_shrugging: Again, I feel we should decide that once we get there.

It’s also possible to read it in parallel with the next book, like we will be doing with Haruhi still running while we read Kitchen.

2 Likes

TBH I was actually not too sure what to make of my poll… Wasn’t that clear to me either.

To add one more option, we could have a break of two weeks after Kitchen, so for the people who want to read Moonlight Shadow as well, there’d be a minimal overlap.

Currently I’m more leaning towards the “decide later” option because there are just so many possible ways of going forward - then we will also know who likes the writing style and wants to continue at all. Or jump in afresh maybe :wink:

The last week’s reading of Kitchen will start December 7th, so we might want to run the poll for the next book around end of October? And then see about Moonlight Shadow around end of November, I guess.

In any case, thanks @Belerith for looking into possible schedules! I will add have added them to the OP so we can use them in our decision later on.

3 Likes

Haha yeah, same for me. I figured the ‘don’t care faction’ should not count towards the decision since they basically add half their vote to either option, in which case ‘read together’ leads by one point. :smile: But I’m all for deciding when it’s a bit nearer, too. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to have a vague plan for that time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all…we introduce a passage from kitchen in our latest article about だ and です…:open_book:, jfyi :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if you guys want to read the part ahead, so it’s up to you to decide whether you’ll take a peap or not, but I just wanted to let you guys know.

12 Likes

Annnddd there it is:

You may notice that I’ve introduced a small change to the weekly poll - I have added a new option called “I have finished this part”. That’s because I often had the feeling that I somehow wanted to “tell the world” when I was done with the week’s reading, and it seemed to me that others felt the same because every now and then somebody posted about having finished their reading.

I don’t want to discourage those posts by any way, and I’m always happy to read them! But if you are looking for a more lightweight way of “ticking this week’s reading off”, then this might be an option for you.

Anyways, I’m looking forward to running this experiment with you and to seeing whether you like it!

8 Likes

Just wondering if anyone is interested in read aloud/live chat sessions for キッチン?
(Theoretically starting the Sunday after next)

• Yes yes yes!
  • Thank you, but no thank you
  • Eh, maybe?
  • Depends on what time the sessions take place
  • Oooh, a poll! Clickety click!

0 voters

2 Likes

Haha, good idea to actually ask for this :joy_cat: I had just silently assumed that we’d continue reading in the same time slot (just as we carried this over from Kino to Konbini)… but of course we should check back with everybody.

(Heads up: If we stick with the current time, I won’t be able to participate throughout October, but from November the time will be more suitable for me.)

3 Likes

TFW you are fed up with BookLive’s reader not allowing you to copy stuff to paste in a dictionary, so you go through the hoops-and-loops of creating an amazon.co.jp account, buy キッチン, and then…

4 Likes

To let you know just in case, if you are fed up by Amazon JP at some point: Bookwalker (1) lets you look up stuff in a dictionary (but the built-In Apple dictionary on my ipad is… limited), and (2) lets you copy stuff so you can paste into some dictionary / website / whatever you like (although it’s a bit hoops-and-loops, but you can get there).

(Disclaimer: This ofc only works for books and not for manga, as manga are pictures.)

3 Likes

Thank you for advice. Usually I am very reticent to create even moar online accounts, but I thought this would be worth the trouble if I could just copy-paste… sighs.

Hmmm your mentioning of a hoop-and-loop scares me a bit. Is it like in booklive’s reader where you could technically copy-paste by using the “search with google” option, and then copying from the text box in google’s site? (booklive also limits how many characters will get searched for, which was annoying as hell too…)

I also recommend bookwalker, it’s what I exclusively use nowadays.
On web, you can simply drag the mouse above a sentence and a modal popup with what you selected will appear. I usually just use rikaikun here, but if you want to copy, I use Ctrl+Shift+C to get to the text in Google Chrome’s dev tools. Now that I think about it, creating a browser extension to give you a copy button isn’t hard.
On mobile, it’s the same way, but after you select text, I usually choose translate, it’ll open the text in Google Translate app and then I can copy it.

Sigh… How come this stuff isn’t 100x easier.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly… sigh
I don’t know about length limits though, I usually only copy single words.

I suspect you’re on Android, then? On my iPad, there is no “translate” to be seen, it only has “Dict” (which works with the built-in dictionary which cannot look up conjugated verbs, so its usefulness is limited), “Share” (which can theoretically share to various apps, but when I tried with Daijirin, it only shared the word キッチン no matter what I selected :joy_cat:) and “Search” which gives me the selected text in a box from which I can then copy. So it’s a bit of a nuisance, but I take it as a hint to just learn faster :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m on Android. I sometimes also use share to put it in Google Keep so that I can copy it from there. It’s insane that there’s no COPY button. Come on :joy:

It actually works, you just have to select only the verb stem and not the whole conjugation. Like this:
思っ
拾われる
おびえずに
Usually the right part is already highlighted so you can look it up directly without having to move the cursor around.

2 Likes

Isn’t there literally built in dictionaries though? Both J-E and J-J

Edit: maybe kindle for pc only or something

Hmm… I’m getting mixed results, so that’s why I’d still consider it “not really working”.

I.e. I get no definition when there is a small つ after the kanji, e.g.

言っ
立っ
笑っ
鳴っ

If the initial kanji is a word in itself, I can often look the kanji up on its own (if only to get the reading), but if not, I’m back to copying the whole word to the dictionary.

Also, when the verbs are kinda “derived”, e.g. in passive or potential, they are not found, although Jisho often has them as separate entries, e.g.

呼ばれた (tried 呼ば and 呼ばれ here, to no avail)

Edit: But agreed, when the part is the ます-stem, then it mostly works (I guess because that usually is a noun in itself), so that’s at least some relief.

呼ば and all examples above work for me. (Using the built-in dictionary from iOS).

I didn’t know that! Thanks @Myria!

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. Now, where is the difference? :wink:
My dictionaries are called:
J-J: スーパー大辞林
J-E: ウィズダム英和辞典 / ウィズダム和英辞典

Or maybe they changed something in iOS? I’m still on quite an old version (erm… iOS 10) with this old iPad, I was afraid it might get super-slow with the new iOS. But if this can be improved with a new iOS version, that would definitely be worthwhile.

All versions of kindle should have the dictionary as far as I’m aware(the android version definitely does, at least), but as you probably know there are some words it can’t handle (mostly conjugated verbs), so I’m guessing they may have wanted to look up some of those words.