よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

According to me Google searching こどもドミたまハンバーグセット. :stuck_out_tongue:
Google images suggests the other, and then shows a lot of images with that on menus.

3 Likes

Ohhh, Goooogle.

Well, everyone’s homework for this week is to make some and send it to me. I’ll let you know whose was best. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Who? Yotsuba? Oh yes, page 48! How do you guys manage to notice stuff like this? Even though it’s right there in front of me on the page, I still miss it!

Not a chance of me keeping up in this volume I’m afraid, I’m just too busy. Still reading, but no time to ask questions.

2 Likes

At least you’re reading. :slight_smile: I hope you can catch up at some point, and ask the things you missed.
I’m the opposite right now, I have more free time than usual. :stuck_out_tongue: (I don’t like it)

1 Like

Dammit… Here I thought I was catching up to ya all (nearing the end of volume 2) and now y’all gone to another volume… (T⌓T)

2 Likes

:thinking:

They’re talking about buying the happi for the festival, I think.

Yes! Next seems to be a 風香 chapter. :heart_eyes:

すっかりやさん? ADHD, huh?

What a mood.
Don’t smoke, kids.

And, yeah. After reading, I think it’s implied that she doesn’t know how to read デ and thinks it’s ド. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d have to have no heart to think it’s a problem for Yotsuba to sit with you. :blush:

:open_mouth: Yotsuba lore!

やるじゃん!

Never mind. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oops! A little late again. :sweat_smile:

Discussion of Chapter 51 starts here.

Remember you can always ask questions about previous chapters. :stuck_out_tongue:
@marcusp, are the busy weeks over, or is April also no good?

1 Like

My overall feelings on this chapter: I confess this is… not my favourite chapter. Think I empathise too much with Yotsuba’s disappointment - I absolutely hate scenes in books or other media where a young character is looking forward to something with great excitement, only to face crushing disappointment instead. Also… it kinda turns chapter 45 into further setup for disappointment as well…

I wanna visit a school cultural festival someday…

2 Likes

Hoping to do some reading tomorrow! :+1:

2 Likes

That face on pg 78 :cry: But on pg 80, that crepe they bring her looks delicious, omg. I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for a crepe like that now, I want one :eyes:

Even though Yotsuba’s cake experience was disappointing, at least she didn’t find out that the panda wasn’t real xD

The 文化祭 seems like such a cute and fun concept. I would definitely go to one if I ever had the opportunity. Also, I really liked the rainy day scenes on the first page for some reason. So rainy :relaxed:

3 Likes

Fortunately, those sorts of shops are basically everywhere. I can mention a few off the top of my head. :slightly_smiling_face:

It… it’s not?

Very agree. I wonder if there’s some way to find them. I guess not, because they probably don’t want half the internet turning up…

Guess if you live near a school, you can just make sure you walk past it every day, and then you’ll see if there’s one going on? Though perhaps they’re not quite as extravagant in real life as they are in anime/manga.

I remember doing school fetes back in the day here in Australia. That was a long time ago, mind…

2 Likes

I mean, we used to do something similar in high school, but it was more because everyone had to make a product and sell it, less fun involved. But if you’re just going to eat and listen to some music, it’s basically the same. I guess we also have events just for the students, so it came out in our favor.
I even recently went to a school event and ate for free, even though I graduated 2 years ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Maybe they’re everywhere in Japan and Australia :stuck_out_tongue: doesn’t live in Japan or Australia
Actually though, I think there might be a shop that sells crepes like that just a couple blocks away from me LOL, I’ll have to check.
But in America, crepes are not typically sold as hand-held items. Thems fancy, sit-down restaurant food. (Which I still love, but it’s not the same)

Tbh I would feel like a creep, randomly turning up at a high school festival I have no connection to (meaning I don’t live in the community and don’t know someone whose kid goes there xD). But I would guess that if you lived in the community, you would kind of know when they happen, based on the time of year, and people you know who have kids, etc… Not sure if they advertise it locally via flyers, like you might a school fundraiser?

I’m trying to think if we did anything similar in high school, but I don’t think we did anything school-wide, where all the students participated like that. Of course, we also didn’t have homerooms, so that’s probably part of the reason why xD (The bigger reason was probably money and/or lack of parent/teacher willingness to coordinate the event) Sometimes the individual clubs/classes would do big events for fundraising purposes - I did plenty of choir fundraisers in my day, which were quite successful and pretty extravagant for a high school event (we prepped so much for those - it was a multi-course dinner, with sets, and costumes, and small group acts along with full choir performances…it was a big deal). The school had its own fundraising events aimed at the community, but those were all run by the parents, not the kids. The school would also do some fun events just for the students, but that’s not really the same.

1 Like

There are also a lot of food/drinks/music related events you could check out where you live.
Like festivals and stuff for the public, instead of focusing on school events.

Honestly, once I started going to that type of event, I noticed that there are a lot, people just don’t know about them. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LMAO yes that’s true, there are really a billion public festivals and events where I live now. But then I’m not supporting children’s hopes and dreams with my money! xD

In all seriousness, if I’m looking to go to something specifically for the food/drink/whatever, I’m definitely looking for a public festival, not a festival run by high schoolers xD But it seems like it would be a fun event, assuming there was some kind of community connection there also (eg, I went to school there, or grew up around there, or I know someone whose kids go there, etc). …Just to clarify xD

1 Like

I’ve been so busy that I’ve not had time to study and I’ve been feeling my Japanese slipping away… so please forgive my basic questions! Anyway, I’ll quickly finish chapter 49 now if that’s okay, and get started on 50 and 51 tomorrow morning! Thank you everyone!

Page 14

何持ってんの
This is clearly “what are you holding?” with an ん for the explanation particle and a の acting as a question marker, but I can’t help but wonder what it would be like if less casual… 何持っているんですか

はしるな~って - “don’t run” + casual quotation particle
いわれたけどはしって - “[I] was told” + “but” + “run” + casual quotation particle
だいじょーぶっていって - “okay” + casual quotation particle + “go” in て-form
ゴロゴローってなって - “rolling” + casual quotation particle + “to become” in て-form
ひつじがにげてった - “sheep” + が + “run away” in て-form
Yotsuba, excitedly: “I was told not to run but then it was okay to go and I started to roll and the sheep ran away”

Page 15

あのなー - not sure about this, though it is clearly a filler, an “umm” or “ahhh” of some kind
バターもつくったよ - [I] also made butter
あさパンにつけてたべた - we put it on our bread this morning and ate it

Page 16

梨 いっぱいもらったから あげるね
梨 - なし - pears
いっぱい - amount necessary to fill a container, full, a lot
もらった - た-form of 貰う, to receive
から - from
あげる - to give
ね - sentence ending particle
I know I’m looking at some complicated grammar here! Can anyone help?

Page 23

さて なんでしょー
Okay, I think this is “well, what is it?”, with the でしょー forming a question. But why do I think that, and what other meaning is going on in that でしょー?

あのなー - another あのなー, same as page 15. Is this a set phrase, or just something Yotsuba likes to say?

Lovely chapter! (And I’ve got to admit, I love the pages with no dialogue! lol!). But I felt Yotsuba was a bit out of character at the end! I’d have imagined her just handing over the pears proudly, unaware that they are all ぐちゃぐちゃ!

1 Like

:thinking: :stuck_out_tongue:
何持ってんの is 何持っているの, remember :wink: (so the の is the explanation particle)
何持っているんですか would be formal, yes. :slight_smile:

“I was told not to run, but I said, “Running’s fine!” (はしってだいじょーぶっていって), and I started rolling, and the sheep ran away.” :slight_smile:

あのなー basically, “You know,” or implying you’re going to start telling a story
Everything else sounds fine

Not complicated! :smiley:
梨 いっぱいもらったから あげるね
梨 - なし - pears
いっぱい - amount necessary to fill a container, full, a lot
もらった - た-form of 貰う, to receive
から - from because; since​ (follows verbs, adjectives)
あげる - to give
ね - sentence ending particle
“Since I received a lot of pears, I’ll give you some. :slight_smile:
You had most of it, just the から. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re basically right, but we have to take context into consideration. Yotsuba already knows what it is, so she’s saying it like, “Now, what can it be?” or “I wonder what it is…:stuck_out_tongue:

あのな is pretty common, yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nono, just in Japan. Next time you’re over there, though…

Time for a long-term plan, then. Step one: insinuate yourself into the community…

I managed to visit Nara on the same weekend of the Basara Matsuri by pure chance, and on my most recent visit, we were in Kyoto on the same day as Fushimi Inari’s Shinko-sai and Omi Jingu’s Omi Matsuri, but I’d still rather like to know how to find these things on purpose.

何を if you wanna go full polite. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Kazzeon and @Belthazar!

Okay - time to make a start on chapter 50!

Page 26

また買ってないや 買っときます
また - again, and, also, still
買って - to buy, in て-form
ない - negative
や - and
買っと - buy, but not sure what っと is, unless it is a quotation marker
きます - come
“I / you still haven’t bought it, and you’ve come to buy?

浜屋さんに おいてるから 知ってる?
浜屋さんに - to Mr/s Hamaya
おいてる - ???
から - since or because (not from, because it follows a verb, thank you Kazzeon!)
知ってる? - do you know?
No idea!

Page 27

Third panel - おねむなの?
I’m guessing it starts with an honourific お and ends with a question marking の, but otherwise any help here much appreciated!

Page 30

いや 抜きじゃない ってことだ
いや - disagreeable (ie, because of the game, “good”)
抜きじゃない - not without (ie “with”)
って - quotation particle
こと - thing (this must be some kind of grammar, quotation particle + こと, but I don’t know or can’t remember what it is)
だ - copula
I’ve got a headache trying to work this one out!

外に食べに 行くってこと!
It’s that same grammar again って + こと
He’s obviously saying “I said we will go out to eat”, is ってこと “I said”?

Page 33

メシ食ったら後で はっぴ買いに行こう
メシ - I can’t find this in Jisho now, but I know it is “meal” - we already had it on page 29
食ったら - to eat + たら conditional (but I can’t see how there is an if in here)
後で - afterwards
はっぴ - I think he’s saying “happy”, and I’m sure Yotsuba does too, but it’s a kind of coat.
買いに行こう - let’s go and buy
After we have eaten our meal, let’s go and buy a 法被

とーちゃんは すっかりやさんだなー
とーちゃんは - dad + は
すっかり - all, completely
やさんだ - no idea, but I guess it must come from やる somehow (as in Yotsuba saying, yes, dad you always forget everything)
なー - sentence ending particle

Exhausted, I need a break here!

I haven’t got the book on me, though this one I can handle without it:

買っておく = buy (in advance).

“Ah, I haven’t bought one yet. I’ll go buy one now.”

Maybe look it up in hiragana? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, he’s unquestionably referring to the happi coat here. He knows what he’s saying.

Yotsuba may not, I’m not sure.

1 Like