よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Slightly related, do you perhaps have the link to the YouTube video where they read Yotsuba in a group?
I can’t find it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think they might have been taken down (if I’m looking in the right place).

I wonder if we could think of doing our own? Start again at volume one and get some more people involved??

1 Like

Hahah! That’s an idea.

Although starting at volume one sounds interesting to see how far we’ve come, it could also be a little overkill, and I don’t know if there’s a lot of people interested.

Also, getting together to read it like that reading club in the video takes more time than just reading the chapter by itself, but it could also be more fun.

Edit: Now that I’ve thought about it for a bit, it sounds like a lot of fun, but I still think getting more people would be tough. Perhaps starting ourselves a few (1-2) hours a week and telling people we’re doing it might work better than telling people beforehand? Would you be interested in that?
There’s also the recording part, I wouldn’t mind being some sort of moderator, but I don’t really have any experience in recording stuff, nor any interest really. So it could be something like just a Discord group instead?
This is one of those things that would be a great idea if we had more than 3 active users in the club. :joy:

1 Like

What exactly would these group readings entail?

1 Like

Everyone reads a different speech bubble. If it’s something relatively common, we go over it to make sure everyone understands it, or if someone has any doubt, we make sure we take care of that.

We could also try to focus on pronunciation, although with none of us being native (or that fluent yet, I won’t speak for you guys) it might be a little counter-productive.

At least it’s listening, speaking, and reading practice. :stuck_out_tongue:

We could obviously adapt it to the group’s preferences, nothing’s carved in stone.

1 Like

I think it is a great idea. But only problems are (1) I wouldn’t have the time or expertise to help set it all up, but would definitely make meetings if I could (2) I would much prefer reading from a volume we have already studied… reading from something I’ve not studied yet would just be too tough, and (3) I don’t know if my internet connection is up to it!

But yes, you are right, I think if we just started it and announced it, people would come along.

PS - should we move this discussion to the main thread, rather than having it here in the vol.8 thread?

If we were going to do it, I wanna be played by Samuel L Jackson.

3 Likes

We could start by defining what’s “it all”.
Like, what do we need to set up for a reading group?

Do we want everyone to be at the same page?
There are programs to share your screen, I wouldn’t mind doing that.
The Discord call is easy.
Then there’s schedules, you being in Japan, Belthazar in Australia, and me in Mexico.
But it seems that right now, 8:00 p.m. for me, is reasonable for both of you.
I imagine everyone has a mic, that’s if everyone wants to participate in the reading, which of course is not obligatory.
We already have the threads for all the volumes, and there’s always jisho and some other Japanese pages for research, and Belthazar has the English volumes. :stuck_out_tongue:

What else do you have in mind?

I also remembered there’s some people that want to catch up, or are reading the previous volumes, so perhaps they would be interested. So we can start talking about it in the main thread once we decide on something.

1 Like

Sounds great! I was thinking, if it is video my internet connection might not be very good, but for audio only it ought to work no problem. Is that what you had in mind? I joined discord once (when we were doing にゃんにゃん) but never used it. But I guess it is easy enough? Yes, this time of day is good for me, but my schedule is very irregular, sometimes I have mornings free, sometimes not.

1 Like

Page 149 - I know that いい means good, and that って is the informal quotation marker, but what does it mean together like this in panel four?

Page 151 - is the いっつも here just a regular old いつも?
And can anyone help with that トコ? In fact, the more I look at this sentence, the less I understand it. I certaibly don’t understand what leads to Fuuka’s reaction.

Page 152 - Google images sorted out アポロ right away! But in the last panel, I’m a bit lost as to what the old lady (I think we’ve seen her before somewhere too) is saying…. “[Fuuka] is good because she’s popular with kids” is my attempt, but I’m a bit lost as to what the も is doing in the sentence.

Sadly that is all I have time for today. I’m miles behind but will try to catch up some more tomorrow. Thank you for any help you can offer!

1 Like

“He says it’s fine.” :slight_smile:

Yeah, apparently a Hiroshima accent. :stuck_out_tongue:

そういうトコでカバーしていかないと

I’d say it’s just そういう and then トコ from ところ.

So, it would be something like,
“So you have to compensate (for a loss); create a cover in that kind of place (子供会, fairs, etc.), huh.”

I think Dad’s implying that either Fuuka did something that needs to be compensated and this is her punishment (most likely), or that she’s going to do something later and this is her way of either creating an alibi or covering her tracks. :joy:

So Fuuka’s like, “Eh? Compensate, you say? But for what!?” in a literal way.
Or “Eh? Compensate for what!?” in more natural English. :smile:

This one took a lot from me, even though it shouldn’t have, probably. :sweat_smile:
I always have a hard time with そういうとこ because I think it’s related to そういうこと. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://jisho.org/word/受けがいい-1 :smiley:
“She’s also popular with kids.”

If she said, 子供に受けがいいんだよね, it would only be, “She’s popular with kids.”
But since she already said that 風香 is admirable a few panels back, she’s implying that she’s popular with adults, and then kids も.

Great questions. n_n

2 Likes

I think he’s implying that something about her fundamental character is lacking. Like, her terrible fashion sense, or the way she thinks she’s a commedian but really isn’t, or the way she thinks she’s a romanticist but really isn’t.

3 Likes

:eyes:
I disagree, but I can see your point.
Btw, congrats on the 60. :clap:

3 Likes

Wow, thank you again so much Kazzeon for all your wonderful, clear, detailed replies to all my questions! I don’t know how I’d ever be able to read this at all without you. Thank you so much! Really, much appreciated! Thank you!

And yes, congratulations Belthazar on that gold medal you have there! Superb! Nice one!

2 Likes

Page 155 - どうなるの - this looks like “how” + “become” + question, ie, “how will it become?” or, perhaps, “what will happen?”. I suppose the best translation is just “what is it?” or “what is it used for?”. Any ideas?

Page 156 (first frame) - こうしたら頭がよくなる - “if you do it like this, your head becomes good”, “it good for your head if you do this”. “Head” as in “brains”.

Page 156 (final frame) - 今日はどんなに大声出しても怒られない日だ
今日は - today + は
どんなに - how, how much
大声 - loud voice
出して - produce (a sound) - definition 6
も - even (acting as “no matter” in this sentence)
怒られない - (1) to get angry, (2) to tell someone off - in passive negative form
日 - day
だ - copula
“Today is the day that no matter how much noise you make, you won’t get told off”
No question, just pleased with myself for working it out! Lol!

Page 157 - よーいやさー - Perhaps this is just a sound and has no meaning. But I have “ready” for よーい, any ideas for やさー?

1 Like

Aye, that sounds about right.

Remember 頭がいい = smart. This is the adverbial form.

It’s just a chant. Like わっしょい.

2 Likes

Oh, of course! Silly me! Thank you Belthazar for those!

1 Like

Discussion of Chapter 55 starts here. :eyes:

Remember you (I) can always ask questions about (the two) previous chapters. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last chapter! :smiley:
It has been a great volume. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What? How?

I feel like Koiwai has a ridiculous amount of faith in just handing Yotsuba the Tabasco bottle. I mean, aside from the obvious, what if she gets it in her eyes?

Think I’ve eaten pretty much everything that Yotsuba got in her lolly bag.

3 Likes

Ok, where did I stop reading… :thinking:

Apparently at 53, yeah. :sweat_smile:

Page 114:
Just confirming, he’s saying, “I will not run nor hide!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 115:
Yotsuba’s drawing is apparently an Allosaurus. :smiley:

I really like Yanda’s design. :open_mouth:

:sob:

Janbo is also pretty slim. :open_mouth:

Ok! That’s chapter 53 done. n_n

2 Likes