よつばと! Vol 7 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I really haven’t either. :joy: I was confused by the way you said it, so I had to check to make sure. :sweat_smile:
It happens to me a lot that I understand some things, but don’t know the reason behind them, or the grammatical name. :stuck_out_tongue: Good thing they don’t ask that in tests.

1 Like

Wow, and I’ve just discovered (thanks to you) that adverbs is the easiest part of Japanese grammar by a mile! Who’d have thought! Thank you so much again!

1 Like

Page 39

Just a quick question (I’m speeding through this chapter!)…

… can anyone tell me what this ゆってた is? Jisho suggests “to shake, to jolt”. Is she saying that dad stops suddenly at junctions?

Speeding in a good way? Because there’s no rush

言ってた!
言う 【ゆう】

1 Like

:walking_man::turtle::sunny::+1:

:exploding_head:

1 Like

Page 45

So Yotsuba realises that Miura isn’t actually a princess as she could only afford one wheel on her bicyle (!) but can I just check… is そんなもん in panel 4 the set phrase そんなもん, that’s the way it is; such is life, as listed in Jisho?

1 Like

Page 47

ひれぇ-!!

I’m guessing this is just a sound right? And not a word at all?

1 Like

Actually, I think the meaning is more like.
“Even if you’re a princess, you couldn’t afford another wheel.”
“So that’s reality, huh?” As in reality being cruel and sparing no one.

I would say so, yes.

2 Likes

ひれぇ!

2 Likes

Wow, thank you so much Kazzeon for all of that!

I feel a bit bad as once again the Yotsuba reading club has become the “Marcus asking dumb questions and Kazzeon and Belthazar being incredibly patient and kind with him reading club”

Here’s my final question from this chapter…

Page 47

置いとこ

This clearly comes from 置く, to put / to leave (behind), but can you help with the verb ending here?

Thank you so, so much!

1 Like

Wouldn’t have it any other way. :joy: Also no such thing as dumb questions. :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s also either this or the, “No one says anything and everyone reads Yotsuba in silence club”.
That would be no fun! :smiley:

I don’t think you’re going to like this. :joy:
置いとこー (don’t forget the ー)
置いておこう → 置いておこー → 置いとこー

The second おこう being either:
9. to do something in advance​
Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
or
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain state
​Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb

I would like some help with telling the difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Page 45

Brilliant, yes, I see it now! Thank you so much!

Page 47

You’re right! I don’t! :weary:
But I’ll leave that till the morning now and come it then fresh.
Thank you so much again for all your help and all your patience.
I really appreciate it and get so much more out of Yotsuba with your help. Thank you!

4 Likes

:joy: :sob:
I respect making the most of your reading materials, but poor Yotsuba. :rofl:

5 Likes

You ought to see vol.1, there’s hardly a millimeter of white space to be found anywhere in the book! G’night and thank you again! :+1:

2 Likes

Ask all the questions you like. If there wasn’t the “Marcus asking dumb questions” aspect, it’d just be the “Kazzeon and Belthazar staring at each other going ‘yup… yup…’” reading club.

index

At least until others manage to catch up, at least…

4 Likes

Yep, exactly. callback :joy:

Wow, that was a short chapter xD But packed full of goodness.

That was what I thought, too, it totally didn’t click until way too late xD But I still laughed.

Well, there was this:

:joy:

Apparently we respected the aged enough with a two second phone call xD That’s all it takes, right? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It’s also like the ラジオ体操, that phone call was actually an hour long. :open_mouth:

1 Like

3 Likes

Page 47

Thanks again for that!
I tried looking up おこう in Jisho, but all I got was scandalous conduct or incense!

1 Like