よつばと! Vol 6 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

はしをわたらないと

Close, but it’s sort of the opposite.

It is the conditional と, but used as ないと(いけない)

She’s saying, “I have to cross the bridge!” or literally, “It is not good if I don’t cross the bridge!” or “I must not NOT cross the bridge!” :slight_smile: Supposedly to give 風香 the milk. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you so much @Kazzeon! What a wonderful explanation! Thank you!

1 Like

Page 46

Is it okay if I go all the way back to page 46? I was reading this on the train last night and realised that I just don’t understand the joke the fella in the bicycle shop is trying to play on Yotsuba. Or, is the point actually that it’s just not all that funny at all?

On page 45 he asks how old she is and she says 6. Then he asks how many fingers she’s got and she says 5. Then he asks again how old she is and she says 6 (you can’t catch Yotsuba out!) Then, on page 46, first frame, he looks away and thinks んー。。。うん, perhaps meaning “we have no bikes for 6-year-olds” and then says フェイントだそうだ 引っかかるかあー6才ね, “it was a joke, right, you fell for it didn’t you?! You are 6, right?”.

I guess it’s just him trying to joke around with the little kid and failing miserably. (Which makes for funny / cringeworthy reading). What do others think is going on here?

1 Like

Hahah! The joke is that she says 6 while raising her hand with 5 fingers. :smile:

So he’s like, “Huh.” And tried to make her figure it out, but alas, it wasn’t to be. :joy:

And then he’s like, “I get it. It’s a feint and you’re actually 6, right? #4. I fell for your trick.

And her dad is like, “Nah, she’s 5.”

And Yotsuba’s like, “Whaat?”

I think that’s most of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

So you mostly had the roles reversed, I’d say. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Kazzeon! Once again (it’s a daily, an hourly, thing) I’m an idiot! I was so focused on the text that I completely missed the fact Yotsuba was raising five fingers for 6さい! Thank you! All is clear again! (Till the next time!)

1 Like

This is one of the reasons why I love manga, and even more when it comes to learning Japanese.
Everything’s part of the message, so it’s easier to get some context than if it was pure text. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Discussion of Chapter 41 starts here.

Chapter 41 Vocab

2 Likes

Page 173

Okay, so Jumbo walks in and says he’s brought the wood and where should be put it, and Yotusba’s dad says: 2階でもできるもんか?

2階 - 2nd floor
でも - but
できる - can
もん - thing? Short for 物, もの?
か?- question

I guess he’s saying “upstairs, but can we do that?”, but any ideas about that もん? Thank you!

1 Like

Apparently, it’s used when you talk about something you are not sure about.

So, probably something like: Can we do it?; Is it possible?

Edit: Also, apparently: You can use ものか to emphasize a determination not to do something, but I don’t think it fits here.

So it’d be something like, “There’s no way I/you can do that.”

2 Likes

Brilliant! Nice find! Thank you! That’s my grammar point for today! Thank you Kazzeon!

1 Like

Page 61:
車だ!危ない! ひかれますよ!?

What does ひかれます mean here?
I don’t think it’s “to be charmed by; to be attracted to; to be taken with; to be drawn to​”

1 Like

ひく - 轢く - to run over (with a vehicle); to knock down
轢かれる - to be run over, to be hit (by a car)

(I think that is the first time I’ve ever answered a question for you Kazzeon! I have many many more to go to repay all your past kindness!)

2 Likes

Oooh! Thank you very much, makes sense.
I’ve been studying 受身形, but I still forget from time to time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then, how about in page 96, on the TV.
はなれて(?)みる.

I don’t understand what that is on the middle. I get that the message is to stay away from the TV.

Also, apparently, I can write better than a 5-year-old, so that’s something. :joy:

Edit: Upon closer inspection on page 99, it seems it’s just something that was corrected. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Page 96

Or keep back from the TV (rather than stay away altogether). Don’t sit too close and block it from others, or perhaps sitting to close is bad for the eyes?!

1 Like

Haha, yeah. That’s what I meant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, what’s 二―キュッパ on page 116?
I see that イチキュッパ is psychological pricing, but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Page 116

Just asked the resident expert… 298!

1 Like

I never would’ve gotten that, thank the resident expert for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

So he’s comparing the bottle for 千円 to the 3本セット for298円, thanks a lot!

I always have trouble with random usage of letters for numbers, but it makes sense. :smiley:

Also, what better to read this chapter with than some nice milk. :milk_glass:
As related trivia, milk here costs like $1.5 for 1/2 a gallon.
But I’m always up for trying new (usually expensive) food. :drooling_face:

Page 174, ゴミ出る?削りガスとか. :sweat_smile: What?

2 Likes

Page 174

ゴミ出る?削りスとか

ゴミ - rubbish
出る?- #14 to come from; to be derived from
まあな - yeah
削り - shavings; flakes
ス - - bits
とか- etc

Will there be any rubbish?
Yeah, shavings and dust and stuff.

1 Like