よつばと! Vol 5 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I don’t really get what’s happening on the top of page 106. What does Yotsuba mean by やんだめ? Jisho gives me nothing, and Google says it means “nude”. I also can’t follow what’s happening in panel 2 of he same page. Halp!

2 Likes

I think this is referring to ヤンダ, the character who was introduced in the last chapter. Jumbo then asks if she’s met Yanda before and she mentions that he didn’t give her the ramen and took her ice cream and candy. So she’s taking his name in contempt here, which is what the め~ I think refers to.

4 Likes

Serves me right for skipping a chapter, thanks!

1 Like
:3

やっぱし地球が一番だな :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uh. There was some weird stuff on the vocab sheet, so I deleted it. My eyes. :cold_sweat:

@Kazzeon Sorry I missed this … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks for cleaning it up.

1 Like

Discussion of Chapter 32 starts here.

Chapter 32 Vocab

1 Like

So, here’s what Yotsuba is trying to sing on page 130-131:

Also, I’m guessing this chapter is the source of the “Yotsuba and Monochrome Animals” book that had me so perplexed in this post

7 Likes

I’m really wondering if there is a meaning for くそつま other than terrible wife?

つまんねー = つまらない

2 Likes

There wasn’t that much difficult stuff this chapter, so I just added a few more words to the vocab list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wanted to mention that though I haven’t contributed much lately, I’m still reading along quietly! I started a design class and a painting class in addition to my job, so I’m finding myself a bit busy. (Doing my best to keep up with アリア and のんのんびより as well!)

4 Likes

I feel this, actual college work started this week, and all of my time has magically disappeared :persevere:

2 Likes

Discussion of Chapter 33 starts here.

Chapter 33 Vocab

1 Like

Cliffhanger ending! Are they finally going to trip over and injure themselves like people have been warning for the entire chapter?

Love those teruterubozu. Almost heartbreaking in the middle, though.

So, there’s no station in Japan named 江田浦. There is one named 和田浦, and this page I’ve found notes that while the station building is different, the scenes in the streets around were obviously inspired by this area:

(That seems to be redirecting to the wrong page, and I can’t work out why. If you’re presented with a page about a ramen restaurant named 剛屋, then push the 新しい記事 (“newer entry”) button at the top - the first image on the page I’m trying to share is a comparison photo between the real 和田浦 station and the 江田浦 station shown in the manga.)

4 Likes

Haha! よつば still teaching 風香 how to swim. :joy:

What’s the mouse supposed to be on page 172? :thinking:

I’m not sure I understand this comment. Did you read too far? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a shot of a partly cloudy sky.

1 Like
I read too deep!

This is an intentional mouse no matter how you look at it!

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t even notice that.

How about now?

Bluesky

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
Blue mouse

2 Likes