よつばと! Vol 5 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Yeah. My first pass kinda went “J, O… ツ? Back-to-front C? Huh?”

I hope so. A lot of fonts I come across in the wild in Japan, I have to look twice. They do love their typography. Just look at the logo of pretty much every manga/anime series ever. Like this one:

I happen to know what this one says (and again, it’s written underneath in English characters), but if I didn’t where would I start? What order would you read the characters in? I can barely even make out the リ in ダーリン, much less the ー.

But I digress…

2 Likes

Definition number eight. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I saw that, and I’ll probably forget once again. :joy:
Any clues about the ガンガン?

I’m thinking ガンガン is likely onomatopoeia. I’ve seen it used for head aches (頭ガンガンする), so I guess it might be something you can use when you’re turning something up a lot?

Number 3 on Jisho might work, but it could also be 1 if you consider the sound the AC would make on full blast.

1 Like

That… wasn’t there when I replied. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. It’s clear from the context that she’s turning it up, but I confess I’m not entirely clear on how ガンガン expresses that.

According to my onomatopoeia book, ガンガン “describes an extremely strong or violent action.” Funnily enough, it gives an example sentence that involves air conditioning going full blast xD

The entry, for anyone who's interested

gangan

7 Likes

Page 16

May I ask a question about what what Danbo is saying here.

そうだ勝手に叩くのはよくない

Looking at Jisho it seems that 勝手 means “one’s own convenience; one’s way; selfishness​”, so what is Danbo saying?

“it’s not good to hit [me!] any time you like / just whenever you want to” or something like that?

1 Like

That is indeed the case.

そうだ - That’s right.
勝手に - As you please
叩くのは - to hit
よくない - not good

“That’s right. It’s not good to hit [me] as you please.” :+1::smiley:

At least ask. :joy:

3 Likes

LOL!

Thank you @Kazzeon!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Btw, glad you found some time to join us. :smiley:

2 Likes

Couldn’t miss this chapter! :grinning:

2 Likes

Page 20

うほほーい

I know I must be missing something obvious, but what is Danbo saying here?

(And I see Miura hasn’t changed one bit!)

1 Like

According to Arale (:joy:), “Words to use when you are happy, or words expressing joy.”

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great! I want to remember that one! Thank you again Kazzeon!

1 Like

No problem! It’s just a weird onomatopoeia. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Miura? She was only there for the first page and the last. Strangely absent for the rest of it…

8 Likes

Page 20

Ena: あとで返してくれるんでしょーね?!
Danbo: あー一度入れると取り出せセン

Ena: “later [you] will return [the 100 yen] [to me], right?!”
Danbo: “ah…, once [you] insert [a coin], [you] can’t take it out [again]”

I just wonder about 取り出せまセン. I guess it is the same as 取り出せません, but with more emphasis on the negative. But does it also include the sense of “can’t” retrieve it as well as “won’t” retrieve it? Just a small point and not important at all, but I was just wondering about it.

Edit: Answering my own question (isn’t it always the way?!)
The more I think about it, the more it is the same as English:

• once you put a coin in, you can’t get it back
  • once you put a coin in, you won’t get it back

Pretty much the same I guess.

1 Like

Page 24

Ena at the top of page 24! I think it’s the best laugh-out-loud moment I’ve had since volume one! Just brilliant! The humour, and the picture! Brilliant!

Just one quick question: 食べないもん, I’m reading the もん as an abbreviated form of もの, would that be correct?

1 Like

I’d say that is correct.
I’m having a hard time coming up with a proper translation, either just an explanation particle, or something like, “Isn’t that right?” or “That’s how it is.”

2 Likes

I think that’s correct. Tae Kim has a good explanation: it’s explanatory, but with a bit of cheekiness to it. It’s kind of hard to translate, because I think that if you did translate the whole sentence into natural English, the tone of the もん wouldn’t really be conveyed directly/explicitly in words. I read it as “That’s right, robots only eat money,” said in a very tongue-in-cheek tone with the subtext of “isn’t that right, Miura? :wink:” (because Danbo just “ate” her money and now she’s getting revenge xD).

5 Likes